LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Condensed Cowden Users!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condensed Cowden Users!
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do I have this right?
Cowden's protocol attacks the following...

1) Lyme
2) Co infections (Bart + Babs) ?
3) Metals
4) BioFilms?
5) Detox
6) Organ Support
7) Adrenals

I'm very interested in how Cowden goes after coinfections and biofilms.

Serrapeptase? What's used for co's?

Thank guys!

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kateaton
Member # 24871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kateaton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on the condensed protocol, but I have no idea. I'm curious to hear if anyone knows.

I don't have any obvious co's.

I was going to ask my dr. about biofilms next week.

Posts: 98 | From NH | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TnFlowerChild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
I'm curious too!
[confused]

Posts: 238 | From Jackson, TN | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Cowden has some kind of enzyme supp in capsule form...Serrapeptase? That would probably help biofilms.

They have an adrenal supp, I'm pretty sure.

I think they also have a binder for metals. I wanna say it's one of the droppers. I am going by memory here.

Detox, yes. Organ support.....not sure. I know they have some detox stuff, but I don't know if what they have supports each organ individually.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canefan17:
Do I have this right?
Cowden's protocol attacks the following...

1) Lyme
2) Co infections (Bart + Babs) ?
3) Metals
4) BioFilms?
5) Detox
6) Organ Support
7) Adrenals

I'm very interested in how Cowden goes after coinfections and biofilms.

Serrapeptase? What's used for co's?

Thank guys!

Cane-

Condensed Cowden is sometimes effective, but in my experience and most I have spoken with, is not so much w/ more ill people. It can keep them from getting worse, but as far as progressing using just this regimen, IMO not likely. Anyway, here are the answers to your questions:

Lyme & co-infections are treated w/ the anti-microbials. Each one is designed to hit different things while being broad spectrum at the same time.

You can read @ all NM products here: http://www.bionatus.com/nutramedix/pages/lymepage.html

Metals are addressed w/ Zeolite & Zeolite HP but again IMO this is not nearly enough to address this subject.

Hypercoagulation & biofilms are addressed w/ serrapeptase and rather well I think, this is one area the regimen addresses.

Detox is the poorest and most lacking part of the regimen as it only includes 2-3 different herbal formulations (burbur, parsley, pinella, sparga) that I have not really found to be that dramatically helpful. Again, w/ more ill people, better detox measures must be employed if the patient is to get well.

Organ support is not really addressed at all in the condensed protocol and adrenals are not either. (although there are products you can order from NM to address these, they just are not included w/ the "condensed" program)

You can look at the link I referenced and read through all the products Lee offers to determine if any of the areas you listed could be better helped by a different product.

Bear in mind that Lee's published "success" rates are based largely on Dr H's practice, and Dr H rarely uses NM products as mono therapy, so using both alternative and western medicine is usually the best approach.

Before Dr H started selling NM, it was not well known, nor was there any studies done on it.

All of the PA's and Dr H have basically told me that cowden is a nice complimentary therapy to throw on top for a patient or to *temporarily* take the place of Rx meds if the patient cannot tolerate abx....

Hope that helped. I do like the products, and have used them extensively. I have had to return to abx, and unfortunately the herbs alone are not enough.

Good luck. Myherbs.net is the cheapest source for these products also.

Best

Derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kateaton
Member # 24871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kateaton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked my doctor tonight about whether this protocol addresses the co-infections, and she said that it does indirectly. But it's not specific.

She's told me that she's had some great success using Cowden in the past.

However, I'm not doing just cowden, but bicillin shots, myer's pushes, high dose vitamin c IV's, homeopathic detox remedies, chlorella, high dose beta carotene, and a mostly raw foods diet.

Posts: 98 | From NH | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dj
Member # 20969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really trying to get off of abx so purchased the FULL cowden protocol. Think it was around $600 for the first supply. Did not work at all for me. Waste of money.

Again, it may work for others but it did not help me at all. I am probably at about 80% - just wanted to put my 2 cents in so people don't just go out and buy everything hoping it will cure them. Have a lyme acquaintance and she said it helped her to get off of abx.

--------------------
I am not a doctor and am only expressing my opinions...please do not take this as medical advice.

Posts: 44 | From US | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enula for babesia

HH (houttuynia) for bartonella

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you talk to my ND, she will tell you that herbs work better than abx. She helped developed the Cowden protocol, but she uses a lot of non-Cowden stuff. She claims she got many people better with Cowden type stuff when antibiotics failed them. She says the most important thing is rotating the herbs properly.

On the other hand, many M.D.'s tell you they don't see people get well on herbs. They claim that most eventually resort to antibiotics. I don't know how they can make this claim, because if a person got better on an alternative protocol, it's likely that their previous M.D. may never hear from them again. Unless the M.D. has an understanding of alternative medicine, I would believe the failure rate would be much, much higher if an untrained M.D. was the one prescribing the herbal treatments. M.D.'s have a good understanding of germ theory, but not many M.D.'s understand terrain theory (or they think it's complete nonsense). I believe there is a lot more to the protocols than just taking herbs. I know someone who got better strictly on an alternative protocol.

I think some people get better on herbs, some people get better on antibiotics, and some people get better on a combination of the two. Everyone is different.

I am hypersensitive to antibiotics, so I am on an alternative protocol right now, and it's kicking my butt. Never had so many fevers from antibiotics compared to the herbals.

That being said, once I can properly tolerate the herbals, I may go IV abx. If I get better on herbals, I don't see the point in doing IV antibiotics. However, I have doubts the bart is going to go away naturally.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj:
I am really trying to get off of abx so purchased the FULL cowden protocol. Think it was around $600 for the first supply. Did not work at all for me. Waste of money.

Again, it may work for others but it did not help me at all. I am probably at about 80% - just wanted to put my 2 cents in so people don't just go out and buy everything hoping it will cure them. Have a lyme acquaintance and she said it helped her to get off of abx.

You say you are about 80% better. How did you achieve this?

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for info guys. (djf)

What if someone did Cowden and pulsed abx's (doxy, rocephin) accordingly?

This just seems like a great way to attack lyme and come out on top after a few yrs.

You could even pulse the abx's on a monthly basis.

3 months on... 1 month off

*shrugs shoulders*

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cowden + abx is a reasonable approach.

I dislike abx very much, but after trying so much, and having so little actually work, they seem like one of the only viable options (unfortunately)

You could do Cowden 7 days a week, and pulse in your abx combos m-th, something like that.

Best

Derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there anyone who has progressed well on abx, and then moved to cowden? I also agree that in the more ill people, with cowden alone, it would be difficult to reach remission.
Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody else?
Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My young children did almost 2 years of abx and I recently switched to herbal treatment because I was getting concerned about stomach issues and candida. They were much improved but still had a few symptoms when we made the switch. They are now taking Samento, Enula and Cumanda, along with cryptolepsis.

They have been doing this for 1.5 months and two of the three are making slow improvements. The third may be improving in some areas but has been sick with ear infections and sinus infections since stopping abx, so it is difficult to see what is going on.

Hope this helps.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

djf,

Ya I like that.

A good monday -thurs abx's

Cowden every day.

djf, what supps did you still use on cowden?
I notice he has a magnesium supplement. So does that mean we can top magnesium supplements?

Same with minerals

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement