LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » SUCCESS STORY. There is HOPE!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SUCCESS STORY. There is HOPE!!
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all. I took a vacation from the board for a few months, but I am back to give encouragement to all who despair that they will never get better.

After almost 2 years of antibiotic treatment, I am finally turning a corner for the better. My fatigue is GONE.

Cardiac issues (arrhythmia, tachycardia) GONE. Near syncope and seizure-like episodes GONE. Chronic constipation GONE.

Severe itching episodes GONE. Cramping and twitching of muscles, incl. facial tic, are GONE. Cognitive symptoms mostly GONE. Burning neuropathy in my feet, not gone completely, but MUCH IMPROVED. Stiffness of hands and clenching of fingers into a fist not gone completely, but MUCH IMPROVED.

My strength has returned and I am going to the gym 3 times a week for vigorous workouts (strength training, not cardio).

Vision has IMPROVED, but not 100 % yet.

Balance has IMPROVED, but not 100% yet.

In summary, I feel better and stronger than I have felt in YEARS.

I am not "cured" yet, and will likely continue treatment until I'm 100%, but my Lyme doc is very pleased with my progress, and so am I.

To everyone on this board, do not despair. There is HOPE.

A regular exercise program is IMPORTANT. My Lyme doc kept after me to get my fat butt off the recliner. I was too tired early in treatment to do much. When I started feeling a little stronger, that's when I started a rigorous workout program.

Planet Fitness gym only costs $10/mo, and they are open TWENTY-FOUR HOURS during the week. PERFECT for Lymies with insomnia.

My protocol during the last several months: penicillin, biaxin, fluconazole, plaquenil, LO-DOSE NALTREXONE (will bring your libido back), ENZYMES like Wobenzym-N and lumbrokinase to dissolve biofilm,

supplements like NAC, Co-Q10, resveratrol, DHEA, weekly B-12 injections, lots and lots of probiotics.

To get to sleep, I take generic benadrl and .5mg of clonazepam. I take the LDN as soon as I start feeling drowsy.

I never went on IV abx, too scared of the gallbladder thing. Just orals.

KEEP THE FAITH. This can be beaten. I am getting there, and wanted all to know. I know how much despair there is among Lymies. =Paulie

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AWESOME, Paulie!!! Thanks for coming back to tell everyone your story of success!!!

Would you please add it here also:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/15820?

Thanks a bunch... and it's good to see you again! [hi]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah for you!!!! That's so wonderful!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

What changes, specifically, did you see when you added the low-dose Naltrexone (besides libido)?

thanks!

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of resveratrol were you on?

Just curious

Congrats btw

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay Paulie! wishing you continued improvement!
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats- love to read the success stories..wish more would post

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
venus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for venus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing. It is what I needed today. I will add you to my board of printed out success stories.

Hugs,
Kathy

--------------------
Severe neurological problems. Probably sick for years. Became chronically sick in Aug 2007. Undiagnosed for another 15 months. Started treatment for lyme and bart Sept. 2008. Improving, but very slowly.

Posts: 515 | From washington dc | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bugg:

When I first started Lo-dose naltrexone, I started with 3 mg. at night. Frankly, it made me a little more depressed initially, with some sleep issues. A I ramped up to 4.5 mg. and within a few weeks, it "kicked-in". I also noticed ALOT of dreaming.

Canefan17: I used various brands of resveratrol, and I didn't take it every day.

To my mind, the most important factors were: EXERCISE. I did strength training rather than cardio. I believe cardio may be too draining for Lymies. Also ENZYMES, especially Wobenzym-N. I would pulse it, gradually increasing dose to 6 or 8 tablets a day. It would make me herx bad, because I believe it does dissolve biofilm allowing the abx to penetrate the colonies of borrelia deep in your tissues.

A little baby aspirin to further thin the blood helps too. I would stop the enzymes after a few weeks when the herx became unbearable. I would restart again maybe after a month.

Diet is important too. I started eating alot of brown rice, whole grains, veggies, alot of Healthy Choice this and Lean Cuisine that. But, I was NOT FANATICAL about it. I did switch to xylitol as a sweetener for coffee,

had 2 or 3 cups a day instead of the 10 - 12 I used to drink. I have a real sweet tooth, so I would occasionally BINGE on my favorite sweets, but would try to make up for it with exercise fewer calories for a few days following the binge.

I was about 20 - 30 lbs overweight, but have now lost weight and have turned alot of flab into muscle. Actually going to the gym right now, cuz I had pizza and cake and ice cream yesterday!!!!!

Today back to brown rice and Lean Cuisine, which I actually like now.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you!!! [woohoo]

Welcome to the club

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] Hope you continue on the upswing...

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

Good to hear a positive outcome every so often.

It is easy to underestimate the effect of LDN, but a strong immune system probably helps as much as any other thing we can do.

I hope you are well far into the future.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome to hear! How long had you had LD before being diagnosed? I feel that exercise is key as well [Smile]

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great NEWS .. So awesome.
So glad to hear. Its always so great to hear a WONDERFUL STORY!!

I am so glad for you!!

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

IckyTicky: I went undiagnosed for at least 15 years, possibly much longer. Standard Lyme tests were always negative. I basically diagnosed myself after doing research on the internet. Needless to say, I am very ANGRY at all the "mainstream" docs I saw who assured me I did not have Lyme. Finally went to a LLMD and got a positive result on IGENEX Lyme test.

Mainstream medicine's response to this epidemic is a public health disaster. But the truth will come out, and you will be hearing about it every night on the evening news like in the early days of the AIDS epidemic.

--------------------

LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

It's so encouraging to hear how much better you're doing.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful!! So glad to hear this news. All the best to you going forward, enjoy your new health!!

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOVE THIS!!!
So happy for you and so appreciate people like you posting this kind of stuff.
PS--on libido, I wondered where mine went. Low dose naltrexone you [Wink] say?

Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chopper
Member # 24841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PaulieinCT
Thanks so much for the positive. So are you saying oral ABX is what got you well? About how long were you on them in what combos? I am still struggling with what I believe is relapsing Lyme symptoms and hope to find a doctor to treat me with oral abx. I was on IV once for 4 weeks and won't do that again unless I am deathly ill, as the IV interferes with my living my life actively just as much as the other health problems I seem to experience when off abx. I was hoping to hear that orals worked for someone. My thinking is that I just was not on the orals either long enough or the correct ones in the correct combination (actually I never took a combination, only doxy and z-max on seperate occasions).

Posts: 35 | From Reading, Pennsylvania | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Chopper:

I've been on oral antibiotics for almost two years now, Always in combination. Now I'm on penicillin
and biaxin. Others I've taken in combo are azithromycin, omnicef, ceftin, doxy, and maybe others. Also on plaquenil 3 days/wk and fluconazole 4 days/week. And low-dose naltrexone at night. Plus supplements and lots of probiotics and enzymes to dissolve biofilm.

I had planned to do a course of IV Rocephin, but I heard too many horror stories about gallbladder issues and infections so I chickened out.

I am not 100% yet, but so much improved that I can do heavy workouts at the gym 3 days/week.

I just this morning noticed another secondary Lyme rash on my arm. I've had them periodically during treatment. It means I still have an active infection, but also means the organism is on the run. I will continue to treat until all symptoms are gone.

--------------------

paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Sickpuppy:

Low-dose naltrexone is being used now in a number of conditions like MS, Lyme, etc. Supposed to stimulate the immune system. The libido part was a happy side effect!

--------------------

keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a great story. Thank you.

I've been on IV rocephin for 8 mos, no gall bladder issues, and no infections.

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations to you!!

So glad to hear you are soooo much better!!!!

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful. Happy to hear you are on the road to recovery.

I've heard others report also that exercise is a very critical component to healing (anyone remember One-Speed-Greg?)

Have you lost weight?

I'm curious from a "fat-burning" respect.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paulie were you treated for bartonella too?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What dosage of LDN do you have? I just got 4.5 mg from my Doc and used Gideon's in NYC as the pharmacy as they compound it and it is better. Haven't tried it yet.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Marnie: I have lost a few lbs., but mostly I've turned some flab into muscle working out.

CD57: I never tested positive for bartonella, only Lyme, ehrlichia, and babesia. Curious, what are the symptoms of bart?

bcb1200: I also get my LDN from Gideon's, 4.5 mg.

-Paulie

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement