LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does anyone have a problem with stevia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone have a problem with stevia?
amkdiaries
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amkdiaries   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started using an anti-inflammatory drink that supposedly has helped many people get well from infammatory conditions. After two weeks I am a mess- crushing fatigue and severe increase in neuropathy. I read the label beforehand and everthing is an extract of fruits but it has stevia and I thought perhaps it could be that.

I read it can have anti-microbial properties. Does anyone know?

Posts: 425 | From NY, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot use stevia. It upsets my stomach.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Can you post a link to the label for the product you are using? It would be good to see all the ingredients.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably something other than the stevia.. but some do have a sensitivity to it.

I love it!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RESOLVED.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RESOLVED.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't take away the stevia,it's all we've got left! [Smile]
Posts: 246 | From south florida | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to try agave but you should probably get it from the health food store to make sure it is not processed with chemicals. It has a low glycemic index. I'm trying to see whether there are any downsides to using it, such as how is it with teeth.
Posts: 258 | From Spokane, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amkdiaries
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amkdiaries   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK- here's what's in it- water,nopal concentrate,agave nectar,grape seed extract,raspberry extract,strawberry extract,cranberry extract,apple extract,apricot extract,mango extract,orange concentrate,papaya concentrate,tomato concentrate,kiwi concentrate,guava,lemon concentrate,peach concentrate,pomegranate extract,green tea extract,beet juice,bilberry concentrate,acerola cherry extract.amylase,cellulase. hemicellulase,proteases,papain,lipase,stevia,guargum.maltodextrin,cherry powder and Xanthum gum.

What do you think did me in? My liver enzyumes doubled so something happened. On no antibiotics, herbs or supplements right now. Thanks!

Posts: 425 | From NY, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sandyk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sandyk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our LLMD put us on a no-sugar, no-yeast diet and the ONLY thing they told us we could use was Stevia.. my husband hasn't had any issues with it yet...
Posts: 159 | From Toms River, NJ | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoot
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It makes my skin break out. For my son...he picks his nose (must cause some type of irritation in there).
Posts: 236 | From Illinois | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
amkdiaries,

What is the name of that? I got really bad reactions from a similar product years ago - before stevia was even around. I think it was just too much for my body to handle so much different stuff altogether.

With so many different concentrates, it could be anything that causes a reaction. Is this organic? If not, farm chemicals would be the first matter of concern.

Even if these are mostly organic, maltodextrin is alway suspect, too, as it is often from GMO corn or potato - or corn or potato that has lots of farm chemicals.

As for the promise of "anti-microbial properties" - other than a mild effect from Green Tea, I would not count on anything in here to help much regarding infection.

It may be just too much all together. Simply turmeric (or, later, the stronger extract Curcumin) may have better effects.

And then eating produce of all colors so as to get the full benefit of whole food - dark berries, tart apples, maybe some pomegranate juice.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Extracts aren't all that great. Sure has a lot of STUFF in it. Could be most anything on that list. But I would think stevia would be the least of your worries.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I myself have no trouble with stevia and I have trouble with a lot of things.

Long live stevia!!!

Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninjaphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at all the enzymes. I'd say that any one of those could be causing trouble.
Posts: 330 | From Colorado, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amkdiaries
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7035

It has taken days but since stopping it I am slowly starting to feel improved. The person at the company said I felt this way because the product releases toxins. I don't know how or why.
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Bottom line: if it does not work for you, return it for a full refund. Demand it. Now, it may be a fine product - or it may not be. But, if you have such trouble with it, demand your money back. There is no way to know which ingredient(s) might be problematic for you - or the total combination - or some processing methods are the cause. If in plastic, even the bottle could be connected (especially if it ever got hot). Hopefully, they are using a BPA-free bottle if plastic.

However, if you can dilute it and if that works, great.

But, if not, return it. When something is not right for a customer, a good company will cheerfully offer a full refund if the bottle is near full. They can't resell it, of course, but returns need to made as soon as someone knows something is not quite right for them.

Good luck.

===============

http://www.lisabarger.com/is-it-a-scam/nopalea.html

Lisa Barger's Alternative Medicine Site

``Have you had a chance to try Trivita's new Nopalea drink yet?''

Excerpts:

What's that old expression? ``It it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck ... '' Nopalea definitely quacks. . . .

But What About The RESEARCH, Lisa?

We can't find any of the amazing clinical studies that have supposedly been done on this product however the cactus from which it's made has been the focus of several dozen. Prickly pears are generally high in antioxidants and a 2009 study of 9 species found them effective against prostate and cancer cells in in vitro tests.

Prickly pear was also singled out in a 2008 report on metabolic syndrome. The authors of this paper pointed out that prickly pear has long been a folk remedy for diabetes and high blood cholesterol. Science may be a little slow to prove this use but at least one very small study, done in 2003, produced promising results.

So what's the bottom line? Well, we simply don't have enough information on Nopalea to say if we would recommend it or not. We're not big fans of the MLM aspect of its marketing and some of the claims we've seen on distributor's web sites are troubling.

We also can't find any of the studies that have supposedly been done on the actual drink. However, some of the research on the cactus itself are very interesting. Combine that with centuries of use as a medicinal food and, well, we're hopeful. . . .

- some comments are posted below article at the link -
-

amkdiaries
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7035

Thanks- not the product I tried but yes they have a return policy and I will send it back. Just thought I might have been on to something since it made my symptoms worse and after being sick so long you start to think that everything that makes you worse is good for you in the longrun.
lauirel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lauirel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two biggest ones that would concern me are the maltodextrin and the amylase.

--------------------
�Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it�s the only thing that ever has.�

Posts: 149 | From Kansas/Missouri | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maltodextrin

ding ding ding

It's no bueno for hypoglycemics

*Does all stevia have maltodextrin in it?
I'm confused... because i've read that stevia can actually BENEFIT hypoglycemics and help ontrol blood sugar

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement