LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » doxy burn

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: doxy burn
XxDarkEuphoriaxX
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XxDarkEuphoriaxX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I am on 400MG of doxy a day, the only side effect thus far is the odd skin sensations when in the sun. I am fairly dark skinned naturally, and get this odd stinging sensation after being outside in the sun for about 5 minuets plus. I usually don't wear sunscreen. Will sunscreen help with this weird stinging sensation? How am I going to swim in the summer? Without a shirt since I am a male that is... thx [Smile]

--------------------
xxx

Posts: 188 | From evansville Indiana | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A doxy burn will be very bad as you can tell from only 5 minutes. You need to avoid the sun while on Doxy and I do mean avoid. Hat and watch the ears, arms and legs covered.

Good luck.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't think you'll be swimming.. except after sundown! ( maybe doc will put you on a different med by the summer )

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This odd stinging sensation after being in the sun is the beginning of a nasty doxy burn. I advise you to stay out of the sun so that you don't get to the unbearable stage--feels like someone has a blowtorch on your skin. You can't stand to put your hands in cold water, can't stand a second of sun, etc.

Most docs stop prescribing doxy at this time of year so that the patient can go out in the sun. Sometimes they forget and give it. You need to call and ask for something else so that you don't get into trouble.

If you go swimming, it will definitely happen to you since you are already reacting.

Sunscreen doesn't stop the doxy burn. In fact, you can get the burn through the windshield of the car. So, people on doxy in summer have to wear gloves when they drive.

Once you get the burn, it could take 30 days before you can even stand 30 seconds of sun. That's how it was with me. I couldn't sit under my skylight to eat breakfast for at least a month.

I couldn't run out to the mailbox and back without the pain.

This pain is so bad, and narcotic painkillers don't touch it. There is no relief. I thought I would have to go to the ER and I just had a few spots on my hands. And doctors have always marveled at how much pain I could take.

So, call the doc and tell them what is happening.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XxDarkEuphoriaxX
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XxDarkEuphoriaxX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh I dont think its that bad yet TF. I was outside for most of the day once helping put a water line into where my house is eventually going to be with my dad and by the end of the day it was getting weird. That was when I was on 200MG a day now am on 400MG a day. So sunscreen doesn't help eh?

What is this other form of doxy to where you can be out in the sun? Is it as effective as normal doxy?

--------------------
xxx

Posts: 188 | From evansville Indiana | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last month, while in the waiting room at my LLMD's office, I had a conversation with an Amish woman.

She told me that last summer she was on doxy and had been really good about staying inside. One afternoon though, she decided to take her kids to swimming hole to swim.

She said she was wearing her regular clothes (long dress, legs covered, shoes on, head covered) and sat under a tree. She said she'd even put sunscreen on her face and hands as they were the only skin exposed.

When she got home, less than an hour later, she realized she had burned between her fingers and on the palms of her hands.

She said it felt as if she was burning from the inside out, that it was incredibly painful and nothing helped. She said it took a month for the burn/pain to go away.

Lesson - if you're on doxycycline, taking the kids to the swimming hole is not worth it! Stay inside!!!

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephfino
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephfino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im also on 400mg of Doxy. Doxy burn is the worst-I can't put my hands in water w/out them feeling like they are on fire!!

Im using gloves while driving and am staying covered up and wearing sunscreen on my face. After a week of NO Sun my hands gradually started to feel better. But the least amount of exposure starts it all up again.

At the end of this month I'll be switching meds.Does anyone know how long after stopping Doxy it takes to NOT be sun sensitvive? A day?? A week??

Posts: 160 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was on it last summer, my doctor told me to stop it 3 days before vacation at the beach.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hand got sunburned while driving in a car while on doxy.

Horrible.

My LLMD always switched me off doxy for the summer.

I couldn't even stand the heat and it gets above 90 degrees here daily.

Maybe ask your LLMD about it.

Sunscreen didn't help me at all.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure it effects everyone, but it is NASTY.

I switch out the doxy in the late spring-fall months.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, helps.
Good luck
Kris

Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by XxDarkEuphoriaxX:
[QB] Huh I dont think its that bad yet TF.

She's trying to warn you that it WILL BE that bad if you're not careful.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first month I was on doxy I burned really bad. Just on the tops of my knuckles on my hands and on my nose. My hands got the worst of it.

First they itched really bad like a rash, and then they blistered up it a couple of days and it hurt to touch them against anything. Many people said I looked like I had been burned by a liquid or something. I wasn't even outside that much, just going back and forth to work.

I had to stop doxy for about 2 weeks and now I am back on it, only hopefully for now I want something else, but I've been outside all week because we had an outside job.

My face is a little red but just sunburn red, not doxy burn red. My arms and hands still look good. I had pants on so my legs are ok.

My scalp got a little burnt the first day we were out there, but not too terribly bad.

I'm hoping it won't get any worse, we have one more outside job lined up next week. I have my next LLMD appt. in two weeks.

I've been wearing 70 SPF and so far so good. I'll also be trying to "chase" the sun. Or rather I guess that sun is chasing me. I've been trying to work on the side of the house that hasn't had sun, and most days it worked out alright.

It will burn bad when it does start burning, and it will hurt. I mean it hurt just to gently, and I mean barely touch gently touch the burn spot. Oh and I have the scars to prove it on my hands...

I

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if Doryx is as bad as Doxy with regard to sun burn?

Thanks,
tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bluemoon
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently riboflavin sensitizes Doxy sun sensitivity:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TFY-4HPKBXY-1&_user=10&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F2007&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1 337069373&_rerunOrigin=scholar.google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=fcfb3d8acaa97f77b34cbff3647cbae8

And the photoreaction of doxy produces toxins (phototoxicity) that cause the burns, so it is not a normal sunburn. http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119471677/abstract

Not sure how useful this information is. You cant avoid riboflavin.

Also, this link bellow will generate the angle of the sun at a given city and date of the year. Since people seem to get away with doxy in the winter months, I would assume angle of the sun could be a big factor (more UV filtering). At my latitude, the angle of the sun is greater in May from 8am to 4:30, than it is at noon in january.
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.php

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAXlover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAXlover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all this info. Now I know why my hands and feet feel the way they do today. I was briefly in the sun today. I'll ask to change the doxy to something else because I'm supposed to go to FL for over a week of ?fun? with family. I WILL NEED to be in the sun that week! Ugh.

--------------------
LAXlover

Posts: 371 | From Northern Baltimore Area | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what dosage will cause this?

if you're only on 100mg twice a day, will that also cause a burn?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Yes, any dose will cause this, that is why it's best to switch meds during the summer so you can enjoy your life!
LAXlover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAXlover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randibear,

I took doxy for 2 months a few years ago. Lyme circles and no other symptoms at the time. Can't remember the dosage but probably the same - same doctor - my primary. I became very sensitive back then - kept lotion on and covered up on the beach, but no burn like this time today with my hands feeling cold/burnt while in water. Also my dark brown hair turned ORANGE and nothing would cover it - even professional hair dye - it would wash out after a week. Had to wait til it grew out and got it all cut off.

So now I guess I'm even MORE sensitive to the sun while on doxy.

EVERYone is different for sure,
-LAXlover

--------------------
LAXlover

Posts: 371 | From Northern Baltimore Area | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about just walking into the walmart from the car or going shopping?

ya know just in and out of the car?

does that count?

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

how fast do you walk? [Big Grin]

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

randibear
Member # 11290

uh oh, not very fast. i "twaddle" a lot LOL...

--------------------

MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grandson has albinism, which meens he does not have pigment in his body.

We put him in Uv clothing in the summer and a bucket hat.

Not sure if there is a UV store around but you can buy a special swim shirt.

He also uses a sun lotion called, get this...Rubber Ducky. He has yet to burn with this lotion and it truley is good for 8 hrs.

Don't stay out in the hottest part of the day.
We have been dealing with sun issues for almost 9 years now. His lips even have to have palm on them.

I don't know if Doxi works the same as albinism.

Good luck and no I don't sell it.

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stayed out of the sun, but my hands still burned from driving my car. I never thought to put sunscreen on my hands because I was driving for 20 minutes.

But, after that burn, no doxy for me in the spring or summer, which is a long time because I live in Florida!!!

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by tick battler:
[QB] Does anyone know if Doryx is as bad as Doxy with regard to sun burn?

Thanks,
tickbattler

I think it is. Call your pharmacist... or check www.drugdigest.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Aleigh
Member # 21074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aleigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked to be switched from Doxy but Dr J said it was the best/only real thing he wanted to prescribe at this stage (immediately post bite/rash). Switching isn't always possible...
Posts: 43 | From Southeastern US | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

I remember being on Doxy in the summer and going sea kayaking out around the Statue of Liberty on a bright sunny day, even with SPF 50 on it still burned and blistered the tops of my hands for weeks. It happens fast!!
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on 400mg of Doxy for 15 days. I've religiously put on FPS 50 and so far have been okay, even going out for 15-30 minutes.

I"m very aware when I'm in the sun. My wife thinks I'm being paranoid.

I'm going to check switching to amoxy with probenecid for the summer.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement