LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » BACTRIM DS QUESTION!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BACTRIM DS QUESTION!
yankees237
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25791

Icon 3 posted      Profile for yankees237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD prescribed me Bactrim DS but I dont understand the dosage...

for example my Doxy my PCP prescriped was 100mg 2x a day... these bactrim ds doesnt say anythin about mg just says take 2 per day? how much batrim ds is that

Posts: 132 | From jersey | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Look at the label on your medicine bottle. Also look on the pill, itself for markings.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankees237
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankees237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no mention of mg anywhere , pills just say 58/98
Posts: 132 | From jersey | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bactrim DS contains 800mg of sulfamethoxazole and significantly lesser amount of trimethoprim and is usually prescribed as 1 tablet twice per day.

Beachinit.

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bactrim ds was also 800mg a pill.

I took two a day also.

Make sure you drink plenty of water with this.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mine doesnt give mg aswell......think DS is a standard dose.........

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DS stands for "double strength," and Bactrim is a combination antibiotic:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) is a synthetic antibacterial combination product available in DS (double strength) tablets, each containing 800 mg sulfamethoxazole and 160 mg trimethoprim

http://www.rxlist.com/bactrim-drug.htm

Usual dosage given by a lyme doc is one Bactrim DS twice per day.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankees237
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankees237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so just out of curiousity, is the standard dosage of bactrim ds more powerful then the 200mg of doxycycline my PCP prescribed me?
Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK what is the standard dose for kids then?
11 yrs old and 85 lbs?
LLMD says 1 2x day of reg. strength not DS
Any one dose this sound right?

Sorry to high jack the post

Posts: 476 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doxy is for lyme and bactrim isn't, so you can't really compare the two as to which is more powerful.

200 mg doxy per day is a low dose for lyme. You need at least 300 mg per day generally. Some say 400 mg per day.

A lyme doc does not prescribe 200 mg per day of doxy generally. It's the docs who DON'T know lyme that are ALWAYS prescribing that dose. Sorry.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bactrim is usually for co-infections, and usually not used by itself for Lyme. Doxycycline is mostly for Lyme, erlichia, and/or rocky mountain spotted fever but can be helpful in some cases of other coinfections.

The two drugs aren't really comparable, like TF said. Usually if you're prescribed Bactrim AND you have Lyme, an MD will have prescribed something else for the Lyme primarily.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankees237
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25791

im a little confused why my lyme doc only has me on bactrim ds....you guys are saying it doesnt treat lyme...what the heck...im 1 month in from my tick bite i cant afford to be taking chances. he is a LLMD so id like to think he knows what hes doing but im quite nervous
TF
Member # 14183

Bactrim treats babesiosis and bartonella.

I have never heard of it being used for lyme.

Here is what one lyme doc says:

http://www.lymebook.com/antibiotic-treatment-for-babesia-bartonella-ehrlichia-co-infections

How long were you on the doxy your PCP gave you? Maybe your lyme doc is considering that in the current treatment.

Some docs believe in treating the coinfections first, and lyme second. Some treat lyme a little, then move on to the cos, then go back and treat lyme again at the end. There are various ways to treat all 3 of the diseases. Some docs treat all 3 at the same time; some treat them one at a time.

But, for a new bite, that is something else all together.

When I got a new bite, my lyme doc put me on doxy and Bactrim DS together. He said that would cover lyme, ehrlichia, babs, and bart.

But, I began treatment within 1 week of the bite. I was on 300 mg doxy and the Bactrim. After a few weeks, the doxy was lowered to 200 mg since I never had any symptoms, just the bulls eye rash.

I had a mild herx at about day 2-3 on this combo. (No stamina for one day. Had to keep lying down.)

Does your lyme doc think that you don't have lyme, just coinfections?

Don't know the entire story here. Did you have a rash, test positive, that type of thing.

Maybe if you told us the story we could figure this treatment rationale out for you.

yankees237
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25791

well i was bit a month ago, started doxy within 2

days 200mg at first, then 300mg for a total of 4

weeks. then started bactrim which was prescribed

by my LLMD. he diagnosed me with lyme on the spot

when i showed him the rash at my first appt.

he had asked me if i mind having to avoid the sun

while on doxy and if so, he would give me a

medication where i didnt have to avoid sun

exposure. i told him i didnt mind and the most

important thing was to kill this lyme ASAP. Then

he prescribed Bactrim DS. So im under the

impression he's using it for Lyme?

TF
Member # 14183

Have you had any symptoms besides the rash?
yankees237
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25791

the last couple weeks ive been feeling a little

more fatigued, and a overall lack of well being

feeling. nothing serious, usually goes away in a

couple hours. muscle twitching, and some weird

sensations in my feet (but i had some nueropathy

from my EBV infection which has all happened

within the past year). so i dont blame the

neuropathy on the lyme & co's necessarily.

I just dont want to take any chances and i haven't

found much information supporting Bactrim DS

use for Lyme. i know its an Antibiotic, so

i'd like to believe its killing bacteria but im

not really sure what to think.

TF
Member # 14183

You don't say how long you took 200 mg doxy and how long you took 300 mg doxy. Also, how long have you been on the Bactrim DS?

Perhaps if you started the 300 mg doxy right away (like, after a few days of 200 mg), I could see your lyme doc thinking that the lyme has been treated enough. Now, it is time to attack the cos with Bactrim.

If you went to my doc, I believe you would be on both doxy and Bactrim as soon as you reported having symptoms. So, if you have not reported these symptoms, I would advise you to call your lyme doc and report them. If he doesn't add in a lyme med at that point, then, say you believe that lyme is still a problem and you want treated with both doxy and Bactrim--a more aggressive treatment--until all of your symptoms are gone.

What I learned from asking Dr. Burrascano a question about my case is that "if the treatment is inadequate, the disease will continue to progress." So, tell the doc you are afraid the treatment is inadequate and the disease is progressing rather than going away (based on how you are feeling lately) so you want to take 2 lyme meds at once.

Then, start looking for a new doc. If you have to start telling the doc how to treat you, it is time for a new doc.

Do not try to dismiss your symptoms. That is not a wise thing to do. Rather, assume the worst and treat them as a result of the bite. And, keep treating until all symptoms are resolved. That is the safer course.

If you have not yet read the Burrascano lyme treatment guidelines, why not read and study them. They are here:

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

On pages 18-19 he lists all the meds that treat lyme. The discussion of lyme treatment starts on page 13.

The only mention of Bactrim is under treatment of babesiosis. (You can search the document on-line and you will see that this is the only mention of "Bactrim" in the document. I also searched "Septra" SMT, etc. No other mention of this med.) So, I think you have cause for concern. Burrascano is the lyme disease guru of the U.S. and the world. If Bactrim treated lyme disease, he would have said so. He wrote his Treatment Guidelines for other doctors-- to teach other doctors how to get rid of lyme and coinfections.

This is your best opportunity to get rid of this disease, so don't let fear of a doctor getting upset with you, etc. stop you from asking for more aggressive treatment. And, to be fair to the doc, you should be reporting how you are not feeling so well. That is his clue right there, to change treatment.

yankees237
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25791

Doxy 200mg for the first two weeks then 300 mg for the next two weeks. total 4 weeks of doxy. then the last 2 weeks have been Bactrim until today...

i broke out with some hives and my LLMD said to stop the medication, take benadryl and wait a couple days then he's going to prescribe something else.

canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF,

Does DR S have a favorite herbal protocol (cowden, buhner, zhang)?

I know he uses art with babs treatment.

I just didn't know if he believes in herbal protocols at all.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement