LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » has anyon used cat's claw?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: has anyon used cat's claw?
miles2go
Member # 20119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for miles2go   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone had a good result from using Cat's Claw and if so, what brand and dosage? I finished ABX treatment seven months ago and all my syX seem to be gone, but am now having issues with my hands - carpal tunnel, "trigger finger," aches if I overuse my hands and a little general weakness. It may be a result of lyme and just I just need time to rebuild strength but I've thought of using cat's claw for a few weeks as a precaution since I suspect these hand problems are possibly lingering lyme??
Posts: 75 | From Va. | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be a relapse. Cats claw is one of the strongest herbs for borrelia and most people react positively with it (improvement). You could try it to see if you react with it. If you herx then improve, it might mean you still got active borrelia.

However, only cats claw won't put lyme dormant, in my opinion. You will probably need the rest of Buhner's herbs to help.

In case you try cats claw, start slow. It can be very potent. there are loads of posts about it, just do a search.

Good luck

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miles2go
Member # 20119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for miles2go   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Brussels. Great idea. I'm new to this. I'll do a search and see what I can learn about it.
Posts: 75 | From Va. | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snownsparkles
Member # 25925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snownsparkles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had taken cat's claw last year.

Brand: Allergy Research Group- Prima Una de Gato

Dose: I was taking it 1 capsule 3 times a day on

an empty stomach. I started off taking 1 capsule

a day and then gradually increased the dosing up

to 1 capsule twice a day and then 1 capsule 3

times a day.

I am not sure if it can be purchased online or

not. I just got it from my LLMD's office.

Hope this helps,
Katie

--------------------
I DO NOT GIVE MEDICAL ADVICE AS I AM NOT A DOCTOR.

Posts: 12 | From NJ | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Miles2go...I tried to send you a private message but it said that you don't receive them.

I see that you are in Virginia and I am also in Virginia. I was just wondering if you could maybe send me a private message and tell me who your LLMD was? I am just curious since you seem to have done really well with your treatment.

How long were you sick?

Sorry I don't have any experience with Cat's Claw. I do know that it can be very strong so I would definitely start out slow. I actually have some here that I haven't tried yet since I am following the treatment that my LLMD has me doing. I may try to add it in soon though.

Take Care!!
Pam :-)

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Samento and Una de Gato are the same - both are TOA-free Cat's Claw but, technically, no longer Cat's Claw.

TOA-formulas cost usually two to five times that of regular cat's claw and are not as calming in nature as the original whole herb.

Although different, both regular cat's claw (Uncaria tomentosa) and the TOA types are used for lyme patients. The Cowden protocol advises the TOA-free type.

If one is taking TOA-free cat's claw, do not assume that any of the properties of regular cat's claw will be obtained with the TOA-free type and visa versa.

While some properties may still remain, when one thing is changed, it can change the effects. So, just be sure of the differences.

I prefer the regular cat's claw as it is better for those with neuro-lyme since the TOA's are the part that help relieve the neuro symptoms. The TOA-free does not have the calming effect that I get from regular cat's claw. (Buhner explains this more in his book).

When it first came out, I relied on Samento for a full year and was greatly disappointed. It had been touted then as a near cure. It was not. But it was my only option then. Now, a full protocol with other things has developed around that.

Yet, there have been a few lyme patients for whom the TOA-free works well.

However, since the plant is becoming rare, we have to ask ourselves if something else will work better so as to protect the environment and people where this is grown. See the last entry below by Dharmananda.

==============

www.rain-tree.com/catclaw.htm

Cat's Claw (Uncaria tomentosa) [not the TOA-free type]

================

Also very interesting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

cat's claw - 85 abstracts

Uncaria tomentosa - 112 abstracts

Your search for ``samento'' retrieved no results.

Una de Gato - 7 abstracts (but these refer to Cat's claw with TOA, not the TOA-free)

Your search for ``Cat's Claw, TOA-free'' retrieved no results.

``cat's claw, POA'': No items found.

============

The best research on Cat's Claw, specifically written for lyme patients, is in this book (pages 80-104). The TOA-type is not suggested.

http://tinyurl.com/5vnsjg

Healing Lyme: Natural Healing And Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis And Its Coinfections - by Stephen Harrod Buhner

web site options: www.gaianstudies.org/lyme-updates.htm

[email protected]

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Aid_Buhner/?yguid=166917351

==============

Five pages about regular Cat's Claw for lyme patients in this book:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

===============

www.rain-tree.com/toa-poa-article.htm

THE CAT'S CLAW TOA/POA CONTROVERSY

================

www.itmonline.org/arts/catsclaw.htm

UNCARIA TOMENTOSA (CAT'S CLAW) - Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D

Excerpt:

The question that arises is this: is it worthwhile collecting a species that has a limited growing range for which the root bark may be the key ingredient, and which is quite expensive, rather than using readily available plants that are less expensive and are already cultivated and which have far more supporting research for the intended application?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miles2go
Member # 20119

Thank you Keebler. I have both the Allergy
Research toa free cat's claw and the Raintree wildcrafted cat's claw. This info. will help me do my research. I want to try one after my "trigger finger" release surgery is over.

ukcarry
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't react noticeably to Samento: if I try again, I will use cats claw itself, which Stephen Buhner recommends rather than the TOA-free form.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used both, and for me, whole cats claw was much better than TOA free.

It never worked alone though (I mean, to make me symptom free).

I needed to combine cats claw with other herbs like andrographis, stephania tetandra, sarsaparilla or eleutherococcus. Even astragalus sometimes.

Another good one to try (widespectrum) is freeze dry garlic. It kills many things but may be hard on the tummy (for some). It was so far the strongest ever 'herb' like substance I took.

A simple and easy to find widespectrum killer is propolis. It is though not too strong, but it usually helps on multiple infections. You can also try bee pollen, it can help a lot sometimes. Very inexpensive.

If you are still looking for other alternative killers, Sanum has got many, in homeopathic forms. Many types of penicilins, that I swear, work better than real penicilin in many cases. I've been using that for years and that keeps us AWAY from any chemical abx for years. All the family.

Besides, they don't destroy your GI flora, on the contrary, help the flora to get in balance.

But adding too many killers and few cleansers may be bad, so combine them with cleansers!

Good luck!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement