LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » melatonin-Side effects????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: melatonin-Side effects????
Jane2904
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daughter took 1.5 mg Fri night and sat night, First night slept, second night kept waking up, Sunday during the day felt dizzy and headache.

Searched on this board and not much on side effects.

Any felt dizzy, etc. side effects?

Currently off antibiotics

Thanks

[ 05-16-2010, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Jane2904 ]

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i tried melatonin and it drove me up the walls. like 100 cups of coffee.

not for me...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could it be a herx from abx instead??

I've always gotten along well with melatonin. Check the bottle for added ingredients.

I buy Source Naturals Melatonin .. timed release.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to sound goofy... we have a moderator doing that already... but...

You will feel a bit dizzy because you are suppose to be sleeping. But dizzy the next day? Hmmmmm?

Is she taking it an hour before going to bed.. and then sleeping a full night?

The first time I took it I thought it wasn't working until I tried to stand up. Felt a bit dizzy.. so I went to sleep.

That fixed it.... didn't feel dizzy anymore.

But if you are still feeling it the next day... take it earlier or sleep longer?

I'd check with a doctor to be sure.

And Tutu is right... time-released Source Naturals Brand is the best.

Watch for nightmares too. They will quit after a while, but can be ugly at first.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I slept very well after taking only 1mg, but felt totally "off" during the next day.
I heard from s.o., who reduced the amount and that worked better for him.

Posts: 269 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It takes 4 -5 days for that feelings to goaway. Melatonin is a super-antioxident iam assuming it moves so much crap out that it overwhelmes the body the first few days anyway thats what it did to me and after the first few days that herx like feeling is gone then I just get good sleep and iam a very light sleeper.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the replies.

Maybe it is detoxing. Today she feels very anxious, feelings of doom. No Melatonin last night-

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KH111
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KH111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been off of abx for a few years now, but I take 3 mg of melatonin maybe once a week to make sure I get good sleep. It helps me out a great deal. Once you have lyme in your body you never get rid of it, you can keep it in check though. Getting good sleep will help you keep a healthy body.

Take the melatonin an hour before you sleep and make sure you have a full 8 hours to sleep. There should be no side effects. It does not make you sleepy it only gives you a deeper REM sleep.

Posts: 160 | From somewhere | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I lost my place - I thought a post somewhere above spoke about a teenager who felt dizzy and doom from melatonin. This is to that parent:

I just stumbled upon this post. I've tried melatonin many different times and again just last week. Dizzy again. It always makes me dizzy - and depressed all the next day. I also start to see suicide as the most logical end to all this. The minute I feel that now with a new trial of it, I know that's the melatonin. It takes a couple days after stopping for that to clear.

So, if she is feeling doom, my guess it that's it's a side-effect of melatonin. But dizziness can also have that effect due to the adrenal shock it can cause.

I would never chance melatonin on a younger person who experienced feelings of doom after taking it. I'm mid-50's and had my bouts considering ending it all - and I've worked through that to hone my skills. But, for a younger person with less understanding about all this, ANYTHING that contributes to doom can bring just that, for real.

I've tried different brands, etc. My last trial were the week before - and then some last week. Again, I'm more prone to think there is just no way out. And the vertigo is just much worse. That's all the melatonin reaction that I've seen probably a dozen time over many years of trying to make this work for me.

Most recently, as I'd read it can help protect the brain, I thought I'd give it another try with a combination that included B-6. Nope. Again, dizzy and wanting to take a long walk off a short pier.

So, I have to realize that melatonin is just not right for me. My advice is to listen to your body (or have your daughter listen to hers).

Melatonin can be wonderful for some; not so much for others. There are many other things that are good for sleep.

=========================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP - Links to articles & supplements

ADRENAL SUPPORT is also discussed above, and that helps to calm anxiety.

==========================

Regarding vertigo - specifically for LYME patients - lots of details about ears and what can help:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tincup:

And Tutu is right... time-released Source Naturals Brand is the best.

That's because I learned that from YOU, Tincup!! [Cool]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt depressed next day after taking melatonin first time or two. That effect went away after 3rd day or so and never has returned.

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement