LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Tremendous article

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tremendous article
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The June issue of a magazine called Discover has an article about retroviruses.

This maybe very similar to what happens in lyme.

"Viruses like influenza or measles kill cells when they infect them. But when retroviruses like HIV infect a cell, they often ***let the cell live*** and splice their genes into its DNA. When the cell divides, both of its progeny carry the retrovirus's genetic code in their DNA."

(Me...the pathway for cell survival is P13K. Which we counter by triggering the inflammatory cytokines to "fry"/destroy the infected cells-> apoptosis = cell death)

"But such genetic intrusions stick around a very long time, so humans are chockablock full of these embedded, or endogenous, retroviruses. Our DNA carries dozens of copies of Perron's virus, now called human endogenous retrovirus W, or HERV-W, at specific addresses on chromosomes 6 and 7.

If our DNA were an airplane carry-on-bag (and essentially it is), it would be bursting at the seams. We lug around 100,000 retrovirus sequences inside us; all told, genetic parasites related to viruses account for more than 40 percent of all human DNA.

Our body works hard to silence its viral stowaways by tying up those stretches of DNA in tight stacks of proteins, but sometimes they slip out. Now and then endogenous retrociruses switch on and start manufacturing proteins.

They assemble themselves like Lego blocks into bulbous retroviral particles, which ooze from the cells producing them."

"...at least a dozen studies have found that HERV-W is active in people with MS."

"Scribbled onto the marker board in Yolken's office is a list of infections that are now known to awaken HERV-W - including herpes, toxoplasma, mytomegalovirus, and a dozen others."

(Me...I think they should add Bb to the list of triggers.)

"Retroviruses, including HIV, are known to be ***awakened by inflammation*** - possibly the result of infection, cigarette smoke, or pollutants in drinking water."

"...infections contain proteins that enrage the infant immune system. White blood cells vomit forth inflammatory molecules called cytokines, attracting more immune cells like riot police to a prison break. The scene turns toxic."

(Me...all is not lost. I wonder if what Fry labs is seeing is a retrovirus?)

"The company has created an antibody that nutralizes a primary viral protein, and it works in lab mice with MS. 'We have terrific effects,' Perron says. 'In animals that have demyelinating brain lesions induced by these HERV envelope proteins, we see a dramatic stop to this process when we inject this antibody."

(Me...our own antibody to Bb's OspB is damaged. This I've documented a zillion times here. We have to restore the "health" of that antibody. AND we have to tame down inflammation bigtime, so it does not trigger a retrovirus.)

EPA - an omega 3, reduces the inflammatory cytokines AND it is a broad spectrum kinase inhibitor. When given WITH the man-made PKC inhibitor, Tamoxifen (which impacts chloride channels), this combination is effective to destroy breast cancer cells. The EPA looks ALSO to protect the liver from the man-made chemotherapy.

Caprylic acid and lauric acid in virgin coconut oil are KNOWN natural antibacterials, antivirals and antifungals.

Caprylic acid converts in the (healthy) liver to a ketone called BHB which crosses the blood brain barrier and enters the cells where it enters the citric acid cycle/Krebs cycle and this -> more ATP which drives Mg back into the cell and binds strongly (and ahead of all the other electrolytes) to ATP as Mg-ATP.

The infected defense cells have a lot of ADP + cAMP + PPi and are stuck with GDP, not -> GTP which would close the Na-Ca channel.

The infected defense cells are making far too little ATP because there is mitochondrial dysfunction.

I believe they are being "starved" of the nutrients they need so that they can do their job. Bb is "robbing" the cells of glucose via fermenting it anaerobically to lactic acid.

Bb NEEDS glucose (and so do we). Bb is PFK dependent (enzyme that controls glycolysis). Cirtates INactivate PFK. In a JAM...WE can use ketones to supply extra energy to our cells instead of using glucose.

If we can tame down inflammation and stop the defense cell destruction AND give the cells "help" can they not then finish their job and destroy Bb?

Now...if the cells have damaged DNA, once Bb is destroyed, the cell will either (1)repair the DNA damage (which can happen) or (2)cell death will be triggered.

Too many cells dying too fast = sepsis.

This will strain our detox systems...kidneys and liver.

If IgE/Th2 pathway kicks in, we could be in major trouble. This is the "allergic" response.

We need to counter that immediately.

In a perfect world, we would use MgCl and B vitamins (sublingual B6) to do so. Mg IS an anti-inflammatory, anti-histamine and it inhibits HMG CoA REDUCTASE. It also restores the "health" of our own antibody to Bb's OspB. Mg (and Ca) are needed to MAKE antibodies.

There is a lot more to read about the retroviruses in the June, 2010 issue of Discover magazine and I highly recommend reading the article entitled: "The Insanity Virus". Do not be put off by the title as we ALL apparently have these latent viruses in us. We just gotta keep them in under control.

For interested researchers (esp. those into virgin coconut oil/caprylic acid -> BHB):

"Half a century ago, nicotinic acid (niacin) was introduced into the clinic as the first orally available drug to treat high cholesterol levels and to improve the balance between (V)low density lipoproteins (LDL) and high density lipoproteins (HDL).

Remarkably, its putative mechanism of action has only been recently elucidated, particularly because of the cloning of a G protein-coupled receptor (HM74A or GPR109A).

****This receptor responds to both nicotinic acid and the ketone body beta-hydroxybutyrate,*** the latter thought to be the more probable endogenous ligand for HM74A."

PMID: 17238156

And this:

D-β-Hydroxybutyrate rescues mitochondrial respiration and mitigates features of Parkinson disease

D-β-Hydroxybutyrate (DβHB) is a ketone body produced by hepatocytes and, to a lesser extent, by astrocytes (11).

It is an alternative source of energy in the brain when glucose supply is depleted such as during starvation (12).

In vitro DβHB prevents neuronal damage seen following glucose deprivation (13) and mitochondrial poison exposure (14).

Herein, we show that DβHB infusion protects SNpc dopaminergic neurons against MPTP in a dose-dependent and stereospecific manner and prevents the development of PD-like motor abnormalities in mice.

We also provide in vivo and in vitro evidence that DβHB protects not by alleviating MPTP-related complex I inhibition, but by

enhancing oxidative phosphorylation

via a mechanism dependent on mitochondrial complex II (succinate-ubiquinone oxidoreductase).

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/18797

[ 05-17-2010, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JT's Mom
Member # 24553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JT's Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Lots of good info! (Wish I understood it all.)
Posts: 57 | From VA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simplified (I hope):

With our own antibody to Bb "damaged" because Mg levels drop "significantly" at the outset of lyme (and continue to plummet downward), the body will try to figure out an alternative route to get at, reach and destroy Bb.

Bb is infecting our defense cells...ultimately.

It is robbing them of nutrients they need to do their job (to destroy Bb).

The mitochondria (powerhouses) of our cells need glucose and oxygen to make lots of ATP...that's the goal...increase ATP in the infected cells.

We are destroying our infected defense cells instead of providing them the "extra" nutrients to help them survive (restore the mitochondrial function) so that they can complete their job. (That is where caprylic acid -> BHB steps in.)

Tame down inflammation (bigtime) AND destroy Bb.

The cure is 2 fold.

It often takes re-reading something many times until it "clicks".

Don't give up trying to understand.

And never ever stop believing a cure is possible.

With any treatment (and there IS more than one way)...keep pumping in probiotics!

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ANYONE cured or improved with Marnie's protocols? I ask this repeatedly and never get a response. Anyone? C'mon 800,000 posters respond to GiGi's postings on whatever topics. [Smile]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

A long time ago, I suggested Mg Citrate, B complex and lecithin ...divided doses and spaced out throughout the day...and ONLY THOSE.

Someone did try it and he/she (hiding the person's identity) DID feel better (mind cleared, depression began to lift) within 3 days,

but ultimately the person had a "herx" response and got scared and went back on Doxy.

Yet we "expect" a herx response with abx., but not with totally natural nutrients.

The mindset is Rxs and only Rxs.

I believe in "blended" medicine and I believe in other "alternative" cures too.

The truth remains. Romanian doctors CURED early onset lyme by restoring very deficient Mg levels AND giving abx. (IV both).

The "medicinal food" for AD is BRAND NEW and HOW IT WORKS IS AMAZING.

AND the Rx (!) Omega 3s have just been put on the market. Watch for TV ads (Lovaza).

This is cutting - edge stuff.

There is more than one way to reduce inflammation...Mg, steroids (not good systemically if someone has lyme), cold, the Omega 3s (esp. EPA), etc.

This is new research. We are only just beginning to "appreciate" the importance of controlling inflammation when fighting diseases.

And the use of EPA along WITH Tamoxifen to cure breast cancer IS a reality.

Go to Pubmed and in the search window, type in these words:

Eicosapentaenoic acid cancer

Read the 2010 (and 2009) abstracts. Focus on the last few sentences (the conclusions). Don't try to understand the entire "summary".

Once again...this is NEW research. It will take a LONG TIME to be put into "use".

And it appears a cure takes time...MANY MANY months with a focus on a very healthy lifestyle too.

Not many sponsored trials go as long as what maybe necessary for an actual cure to happen.

And not everyone in the trials is compliant.

I believe some lyme patients have been cured using Rife therapy over a LONG TIME. I believe photon (infrared) therapy is promising too. I believe HBO therapy along with Pycnogenol or along with abx. may work as it appears to for one lyme patient. I believe DNP (ICHT in Italy) was a good attempt, but far to dangerous - electrolyte wise.

Once again...this is NOT FAST and we have to be very careful to protect the "good guys" with any and all treatments because healing starts with having a healthy gut.

I have absolutely NO TIES to ANY product, any doctor, any organization, etc. and I am not competing with any other poster here.

I have learned a LOT from other posters and I hope, in turn, they may learn something from my posts and apply that knowledge to help him/her or that person's loved one to completely recover.

If the D-β-Hydroxybutyrate information above can help Gi Gi's husband to be well...that would make me very happy.

And if the following link ***helps Dr. B***(whose protocol saved my sister's LIFE, but did not cure her), I will be happy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19154441

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Marnie. Sometimes your info it a bit too technical for many of us to follow.

This whole thing with retroviruses is just beginning. Look at XMRV... Many of us have no real diagnosis or tests that can really prove what is wrong with us.

I don't think the doctors or scientists even know the half of it... I think it's alot more complex than they lead on.

People feel safe if a doctor or some authority figure recommends this or take that. It's harder to tough it out on your own to experiment & see if something will pan out.

There's also alot of conflicting studies about things. None of this is easy.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for providing such great info. I'm on my way out the door but I'll come back and read again.

Over the years, I've taken many if not all of the supplements that Marnie mentions due to muscle testing results. Based on my own experience, I feel confident that Marnie has provided some very useful information.

It takes work to understand. Time, energy, looking things up etc. etc. but I love the detail and am happy to work at understanding it. Personally, I don't need to understand every single detail in order to use it though.

Thanks again Marnie. I'm definately a fan. [kiss]

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had not seen the difference in myself after my first IV of Magnesium Citrate, I wouldn't have believed it. Restoring mag levels is crucial to recovery, and often the symptoms we are left with are in fact symptoms of low magnesium, rather than the infection itself, (resulting sometimes in endless abx treatment). And from learning the hard way, oral mag will not get you back to normal.

I've gotten my life back and have been off abx for more than 5 years now. My abx treatment was for about 9 months, after more than 9 years of no treatment.

Marnie is too too right about so many things. Thanks for sticking around - too much of your info seems to have disappeared to the annexes.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Marnie. I greatly appreciate the research and insight that you share with us. Sometimes my brain is tired and I cannot think clearly. But you always break it down to make the important points understandable.

Responding to seek help's question, I tried to follow the Coconut oil/Caprylic acid and Omega 3 protocol but was unable to tolerate the Coconut oil. I was so disappointed in myself. I do believe that it will help if I could just find a way to swallow the coconut oil.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You call many of these ideas cutting edge. May be they are new to mainstream medicine but alternative/integrative doctors have been using EPA, MAG, etc. for many, many years.

I've been well for many years and was prescribed IV mag, IM mag, EPA/DHA and so many more supplements years ago when I was ill. I always was under the care of an integrative LLMD.

An integrative approach is, IMO, the only way to kick this illness.

ICHT did not cause any problems with electrolytes and was not dangerous. That's your opinion that it was.

Close to thirty Lyme patients took the treatment and none of them had problems with electrolytes or with DNP/ICHT. There was one lyme patient who died and the cause of his death is in the record of the court proceedings. He did not die from electrolyte problems or from DNP.

It's time to get on Pacer and read the proceedings of the case and the facts and time to stop spreading false information.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information Marnie. I'm curious - do you have / had
Lyme?

I'm assuming your background is in science.

The more my brain begins to function again the more I appreciate this kind of information.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI....there is about a six week wait now just to get the KIT to be tested for XMRV. My test kit is arriving in early June.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This makes me really worried that my LLD said last week I have VERY BAD inflammation. My Sed Rate is 45 and Cardio CRP is 11.5. He wants me to take Nutramedix....I can't remember exactly what it is called, Osp C or something. Like 8 capfuls a day.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Marnie-

I have tried some of your recommendations. I tried the magnesium prior to using infrared light. I have also been using a product called Yeast Cleanse by Solaray which has Caprylic acid among other things anti-Lyme. I have used coconut oil, lauricidin & monolaurin...

I don't know if D-β-Hydroxybutyrate is the same as Butyrate but I recently started taking that.

I'm not sure of whether these things are a "cure" but I do take them off & on as recommended by medical dowsing. I haven't been using the infrared light much, though. It's on hold for now.

There is some thought that magnesium helps to build the biofilms - so, I'm not big on overdoing it. I've had various IVs in the past & none of them seemed to make me alot better - so, I discontinued them.

I was interested in the Eby zinc theory but I never got into it. Any updates on that?

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie wrote:

"Caprylic acid converts in the (healthy) liver to a ketone called BHB which crosses the blood brain barrier and enters the cells where it enters the citric acid cycle/Krebs cycle and this -> more ATP which drives Mg back into the cell and binds strongly (and ahead of all the other electrolytes) to ATP as Mg-ATP.

The infected defense cells have a lot of ADP + cAMP + PPi and are stuck with GDP, not -> GTP which would close the Na-Ca channel.

The infected defense cells are making far too little ATP because there is mitochondrial dysfunction."

Would you mind simplifying this for me? I cannot understand it. The rest I did though, so thank you for the article and supporting comments.

Would be interested in hearing your response to sparkle7 above, especially the comment about magnesium and biofilms.

Thanks,

Wolf

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie, I hope you didn't think I meant my comment in any bad way. I did not. In fact, I just wanted to see if anyone here ever follows through on these ideas to get outcome results. I'm interested. Thanks for sharing.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Ultrasound disrupts biofilms and ultrasound (or osmotic pressure changes) are the final "step" in ridding gram negative pathogens.

Basic microbiology.

First we have to destroy the cell wall or prevent it from forming in the first place and then we have the CWD form to "finish off".

Though I think...and I would have a hard time digging this info. out of my files (massive!) that we have a hard time dealing with Bb's flagella which may contain Hsp70.

The capylic acid info (Capryl by Solaray is cheap) comes from drug companies that are marketing a "medicinal food" called Axona for AD.

It also contains many nutrients and adding something like "Ensure" maybe a way.

The photon therapy...we lost the animated link (removed from the internet)...showed the photons going into the cell and a G helper protein called transducin "happened". This -> GTP and the "doors" to the cell closed...Na-Ca.

Bb needs NaCl for motility. Documented a zillion times.

Calcium activates the chloride channels.

Tamoxifen for breast cancer, is a man-made PKC inhibitor that also blocks chloride channels.

Frontline, given to our dogs to prevent lyme, blocks chloride channels IN THE TICKS, so the ticks can't infect the dog.

Tamoxifen doesn't always work. Some cancer cells (using glucose for energy, have lots of cAMP, have very few mitochondria remaining, have DNA damage) are resistant to cell death.

But Tamoxifen AND (WITH) EPA is very effective. EPA also helps the liver deal with the chemo. effects...resultant inflammation.

Bb has a PKC inhibitor. P = protein, K = kinase...these transfer phosphates, C = calcium activated.

I used to think Bb was inhibiting PKCd, but now realize it maybe PKCB2.

Preventing anti-inflammation.

Bb is fermenting glucose to lactate in the cytoplasm of the defense cells it infects. Our mitochondria NEED glucose too...to make ATP...lots of ATP.

Bb needs glucose (and a LOT more), but so do we.

However, in a jam, WE can use ketones to substitute for glucose.

Ketones LOWER Hsp70...heat shock protein which WE have and Bb has.

That is used for replication, survival and protein folding.

Zinc...it is in the metalloproteinases which cleave proteins. Bb triggers this to happen via triggering the P13K pathway.

Which I have linked (picture of that pathway).

It all fits.

Bb infects our defense cells and robs them of nutrients to function. This trigges US to destroy the infected cells and a lot of "collateral damage" happens.

The question remains...once the infected cell IS destroyed, is Bb destroyed too OR does Bb move on and infect other cells? Does "he" use the "debris" or the inflammatory cytokines to survive?

HIV does. It uses TNF and IL-6 to...get this...replicate.

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Marnie, would you expect one would have a major reaction to Caprylic acid? I plan on starting this supplement next week.
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no association with this product or company; I've never even tried or heard of it before googling caprylic acid today.
From
https://www.wholeapproach.com/product/111/Caproyl-Medical-Food-169-FL-OZ/

True or false regarding intestinal absorption claims below?

Only liquid caprylic acid will work properly with this program. Powdered caprylic acid in tablets and capsules will not cooperate nearly as well with the Psyllium gel, even when crushed first.

The caprylic acid in Caproyl, being a liquid, has a coating action on the intestinal wall, which tablets and capsules cannot match. As the liquid Caproyl is dispersed in the Psyllium/Bentonite gel, it releases its caprylic acid throughout the entire length of the intestinal tract.

The following is from the book, Conquering Yeast Infections, the Non Drug Solution for Men and Women" by S. Colet Lahoz about the Caprol:

Caproyl (former name: Caprol), containing liquid caprylic acid (3600 mg per oz) and oleic acids, is a broad spectrum anti-fungal agent against Candida albicans and other fungi.

........Caprylic acids antifungal properties were the subject of a study at the Japanese Niigata University School of Medicine: "the fungicidal effect of caprylic acid on Candida albicans was exceedingly powerful...Caprylic acid exhibits the most remarkable fungistatic and fungicidal properties of all normal saturated fatty acids with even numbered carbon atoms studied.

This information about caprylic acid's powerful antifungal properties was reported by the Japanese in 1961. However not until two decades later was it further discovered by a Canadian, Andrew Gutauskas, B.S. Pharmacy, that the benefits of caprylic acid are further enhanced when its transit through the intestinal tract is slowed. Caprylic acid must exert its fungicidal effect in the intestinal tract or not at all. The longer it can react the better.

Unfortunately, caprylic acid is a substance that is normally quite rapidly absorbed into the intestinal tract and routed directly to the liver.

There it is quickly metabolized and does not succeed at entering the general circulation. Just ten minutes after the oral intake of straight caprylic acid, more than 90% can be traced in the portal vein on its way to the liver. For this reason, the quite powerful caprylic acid has little anti-Candida albicans effect, both intestinally and systemically.

This fact, however, is significantly altered if its absorption can be somehow slowed, allowing it to remain in the intestine for a longer period of time in order to complete its fungicidal mission.

In this program, caprylic acid acquires its needed sustained-release properties from gel, formed by the mixture of Caprol, colon cleansers, and water. This thick gel traps the caprylic acid and slows its transit through the colon.

Uncontrolled surges of caprylic acid into the liver are the most probable cause of adverse reactions to caprylic acid: however, while in this gelled state, caprylic acid does not escape into the liver. It is no surprise, then, that no adverse reactions to this gelled form of caprylic acid have been reported, even among individuals who previously reacted to other caprylic acid products.

Traditional caprylic acid preparations exist as capsules and tablets, but the preference is the liquid form. This mixing causes the caprylic acid to interact with the oleic acid in safflower oil, thereby amplifying its fungicidal effects far beyond what caprylic acid has traditionally offered.

........Oleic acid, the second acid ingredient in Caproyl, is found naturally in safflower oil. It too, has significant CRC battling effects. Normally harmless Candida albicans (if in small quantities) can convert, or mutate, into a disruptive mycelial form for several reasons - overuse of antibiotics being a prime example.

When this happens, root-like tentacles are formed, which allow the new harmful fungi to penetrate the mucosa (or lining) of the intestinal wall and enter the blood stream. From there, the fungi easily gain access to other parts of the body. Oleic acid follows the mycelial, root like tentacles of candida albicans to the base of the root and kills it there.

Oleic acid also hinders any additional conversion of Candida albicans yeast into its mycelial fungal form. ....As explained, oleic acid is of great importance in the destruction of CRC.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

I have Capryl by Solaray. It is cheap. It comes in a gelatin capsule.

It contains:

Calcium as caprylate.
Magnesium as caprylate.
Zinc as caprylate.

The bottle says..."sustained release caprylic acid from mineral caprylates".

"Acids" are never found in nature not bound to a mineral.

In other words: Neg-pos bound.

As I understand it.

It is sodium free, resin free.

I am very aware that Calcium IS activating chloride channels.

The body will find a way to get "at" any available calcium...

And that tetracyclines bind calcium...but that looks to be "not enough".

Axona contains not only caprylic acid, but a LOT of other nutrients as well (will list them in a minute).

I also find this comment interesting...very:

"Dr. Newport's (it was her husband mentioned in the above story) recipe is to combine 16 ounces of MCT oil plus 12 ounces of coconut oil, store at room temperature and use as needed.

To avoid diarrhea, start with 1-2 teaspoons per meal and build up gradually--and be aware that some people will only be able to tolerate lower amounts.

Because coconut oil contains no omega 3 essential fatty acids, a minimum of 2 g of fish oil should also be taken daily."

http://www.natmedtalk.com/mental-health/4650-using-coconut-oil-alzheimers.html

I too think the combination maybe very very effective.

Esp. EPA w/ASA in the morning.

Axona...

"Ingredient List in Descending Order of Quantity by Weight:

Ingredients:

Caprylic Triglyceride,

Potassium Caseinate (milk-derived
protein),

Maltodextrin,

Whey Protein (milk-derived),

Sugar,

SunflowerOil,

Dimagnesium Phosphate,

Tricalcium Phosphate,

DipotassiumPhosphate,

Soy Lecithin,

Distilled Monoglyceride,

SodiumAscorbate (Vitamin C),

Silicon Dioxide,

Natural Vanilla Bean Extract,

Vitamin E Acetate,

Vitamin A Palmitate,

Sucralose,

Zinc Sulfate,
Acesulfame Potassium,

Pyridoxine HCl (Vitamin B6),

Folic Acid,

Chromium Chloride.

[Nutritional content information may be found at
www.about-axona.com.]

http://www.about-axona.com/pdf/prescribinginformation.pdf

Oleic acid is being used to make an omega 9 (mead acid).

Mead acid is an omega 9. It is ANTI-INFLAMMATORY.

"Under severe conditions of EFA deprivation, mammals will elongate and desaturate oleic acid to make mead acid, (20:3, n−9).[1] This also occurs to a lesser extent in vegetarians and semi-vegetarians."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-9_fatty_acid

See more info. under my post tonight 6/2 about "malaria".

I'm not a doctor either, but want to learn, want to know,and truly appreciate sharing knowledge!

seekhelp
Member # 15067

What about my question to you earlier Marnie?
Marnie
Member # 773

Worse case is IgE kicking in (allergic reaction), but it appears EPA - omega 3 *should* help prevent that.

Remember the first response to Bb was a RASH...an allergic response.

This is what I - PERSONALLY - would try:

OmegaBrite with one good old aspirin (and also with a "fat") in the morning.

Caprylic acid (I would take Capryl) with a really good can of Ensure for lunch and of course foods too.

One hour before dinner, with a full glass of water...a good probiotic formula.

(My personal favorite is Essential Formulas.)

I suspect this will be a slow healing process, not a fast one...as it should!

***I have no way of knowing how you will react.***

I personally have no problem taking OmegaBrite + aspirin and no problem taking Capryl. No bad reactions.

The OmegaBrite with aspirin DOES lower MY ongoing back inflammation (2 previous surgeries...very little disc left) and the pain is less...noticeable.

But I do NOT have lyme...my sister was infected.

Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie - what do you think the difference is with the Omega 3 prescription medicine that is out and our Omega 3s from the health food store?
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth S.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elizabeth S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay... I was following until I saw "D-β-Hydroxybutyrate"... What is that? What caprylic acid converts to in the brain?

Thank you for this article!

I can imagine that having mitochondral dysfunction AND a retrovirus even BEFORE you got Lyme could be a losing battle... Honestly, from your perspective, do you think such a scenario could still be salvaged?

And magnesium can definitely cause a reaction! When I first started taking it, it made me worse for two weeks, and I wasn't even deficient. But after that, there was improvement. [Smile]

Posts: 161 | From Southern United States | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement