LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » SEVERE STIFF NECK

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SEVERE STIFF NECK
MDW005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying very very hard to not whine, but...Can't help myself. Is a Stiff neck something we have to live with for the rest of our lives? When we eventually heal from this lyme disease, does the stiff/painful neck,spine, shoulders go away also?

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the stiff neck is very much a marker of infection- it'll go away. I swear.

I think one of the explanations for it, at least that I read about in Buhner's book about lyme, is that some of the 'lyme neck pain' is a specific type of meningitis where the outermost layer of the meninges (covering of the brain) is inflamed. Meningitis can be caused by many different things and by other infections such as viruses (and some of those forms of meningitis are very serious lifethreatening conditions), but it's very common in Lyme as well. Mine felt like a very different type of pain than the more arthritis-like joint pains I've had elsewhere.

Of course you're describing other pain also besides the one in the neck, but there are a lot of other Lyme causes of pain that can cause both muscles, back/spine and joints to be painful.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew, I can barely move my neck due to this. And the neck and head pain is unreal. I can't wait to get back on tx; I need it badly.
Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My head and neck pain is slowly getting better on doxy and plaquenil.

I understand exactly what you are saying.

I have had Lyme (diagnosed as fibromyalgia) for 22 years.

But...when the excruciating head, neck and shoulder pain and stiffness started 2 years ago I gained a new empathy for why some people take their own life.

I would never do that, but the pain was soooo bad I knew I could never live that way forever.

That is what sent me on my quest to figure out what was really causing my pain.

Now my shoulder and upper and lower back pain has increased. I have found that this is what happens before it starts to get better.

The process takes months. I went back on doxy at the end of Oct 2009 and 3 days later I noticed a subtle change in my neck pain.

It has slowly and steadily gotten better since October.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your responses. I even try and stretch the muscles in my neck during the day by staying active, but seems to be just a tempory
slight fix.

--------------------

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greengirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greengirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in this boat, too. Hoping for the pain to diminish with treatment.

For now, I stretch, take baths, using heating pads and rely on IcyHot Pain Patches.

Posts: 252 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I so relate. My first symptom was horrible pain and stiffness in my neck. After months of this I herniated a disc. I am convinced a direct result of Lyme and company.

Surgery one year after herniation did nothing to alleviate pain, then the cascading effect of all the neuro symptoms started.

Been treating 2 years, still have terrible neck and radicular pain. It's very exhausting to buck all the time. Hope we all see improvement. Be well. TS

Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wealdsteve
Member # 25281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wealdsteve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has always been one of my main symptoms, after 3 months of doxy & atesunate it is the only symptom that i can say has gone. I had it so bad after about four days of treatment i felt i couldnt go on, then it just lifted and has not been back since. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Posts: 65 | From Sussex UK | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had a very bad stiff neck for over a decade. Been in treatment for 4 years and my neck is still stiff and very painful.

My naturopathic doctor suggested a product called zellulisan by pekana. It's a cream. You usually have to buy pekana products from a practioner but I often get mine here. (I have no relationship with them other than I use their products)
http://www.naturalhealinghouse.com/pekana_zellulisan.htm

You get a free consult with their ND at the website when you first buy products. They are very kind and know about lyme.

My ND said it helps with inflammation but the description states that it helps with toxicity in connective tissue. We know borrelia lives and dies in connective tissue. I probably need to take a bath in the stuff. [Big Grin] If it removes toxins from connective tissue that would explain why it helps with inflammation because borrelia debri causes inflammation according to my doctor.

I have found that it takes the edge off the pain enough that I can sleep without taking ibuprofen or something else for the pain. It feels wonderful to be able to get comfortable before I go to sleep which has been impossible prior to using it.

It doesn't take the pain away but the relief that it does provide is worth it to me.
It costs $26 for 3.5 oz. I use it on my arms, shoulders and back when they are bothering me and it helps.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Terry... Thanks for the link. I don't have the pain every day in the neck...it comes and go's.
When it comes, it likes to stick around for a couple days and IB's don't even touch this kind of pain.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement