LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need to start cholesdtyramine--pls. share experiences

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need to start cholesdtyramine--pls. share experiences
pugs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20954

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pugs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My lyme doc feels this may really help me. Pls. share your experiences--I want to start today but am chicken!

thanks in advance!

Posts: 255 | From - | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started yesterday, and am totally in the dark like you. I asked this question awhile back, but didn't have many responses.

Well, I'm still alive today from the one yesterday. No constipation this am, but I'm still doing IV rocephin.

How many times a day did your doc instruct you to take it. Mine is only once, but I'm reading Shoemaker says 3-4x. I don't really see how that would be possible with supps and meds, but wonder if only once will help.

Sorry for asking you questions, and not answering yours, but hopefully someone else will come along to help.

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the powder packet. No problems, at all. Been on it for months. Has it helped? Who knows? I know something is working but I think it is the whole treatment that is working and not one specific thing.

I mix with V8 juice with a very small whisk. You can also use a blender but I think that's too much work !

Just remember allow 1.5 to 2 hours before and after food and meds/supplements, before taking.
That's the difficult part, especially if using more than once a day.

I use one slippery elm for breakfast and one at dinner and have no problem with constipation.

Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Elaine. So you only take it once a day? That's my biggest question...is it enough to do anything?
Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pugs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20954

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pugs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you keltyl and Elaine G for your input.
Posts: 255 | From - | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to take it once a day, then twice and I think once I got up to 3 in one day.

Now, I'm on once every 5 days.

Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm waiting for Keebler to say don't use the one with artificial sweetener. [Smile]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Ha. Ha. So True; so true. Aspartame is a horrible neurotoxin and, yet, still in so many medicines.

Thanks for a good laugh, Seek. Perfect. I can go rest well knowing that you are on patrol. D-L-dlut, d-l-dlut, d-l-dlut, d'ut. (Galloping away on my imaginary horse).

Cheers !
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pugs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20954

Elaine, how has it helped you?

I'm more afraid of it mobilizing toxins and making me sicker. I also had some amalgams removed but my lyme doc wasn't concerned.

Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love it. I feel so much better when I add it in.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just take it as much as you can fit in in and away from your antibiotics and supplements because it will bind them.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Pugs, I don't know if it has helped remove mold and toxins, just can't see that stuff. I do know that my cholesterol has been much better since taking. Of course, my cholesterol is probably up because of the TBI.

Seek and Keebler, yeah, I'm not crazy about taking something with Sobitol in it. Hopefully, I will be taking it less and less.

Keebler, have no fear Seekhelp is on the job [Smile]

karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the pure powder without any fillers only.
The other stuff makes me feel tired and bad.
I take one at night and when I feel ok I take 2 and then 3, all slowly.

Only then I introduced it 2 - 3 times a day.
If you start slowly you will not have any problems.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nutmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nutmeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pugs,

I didn't see anyone else posting this...not everyone tolerates cholestyramine well.

It can cause GI irritation, presumably because of the coarse texture. Some report rectal bleeding.

You might want to start with a very small amount until you see how you do. It's available in unflavored, unsweetened pure powder form from a compounding pharmacy.

Take care,
Nutmeg

Posts: 386 | From WA state | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Okay, now i have another question. If you increase it, how far apart do they have to be? Any specified time?

I have ALOT of meds and supps, and it's hard enough now jus taking it once. Sometimes I get up in the middle of the night to take a second dose of probiotics. Can't take them in the morning since i do the rocephin.........

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement