LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » OUCH! Constipation / Hemmorhoids..what to do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OUCH! Constipation / Hemmorhoids..what to do?
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...sorry of this topic is gross or TMI.

For the past 8-9 years I've always had a bit of IBS..meaning more "loose" stools and usually 2-4x / day. I was rarely, if ever, constipated.

Since starting my Lyme treatment 22 days ago I noticed my bowel habits have changed. I have less bowel "urgency" and I'm also way more constipated. I'm not sure if this is because of the Abx, the low gluten / carb diet, the massive amounts of protein / dairy I eat, or the supplements.

Today I am in PAIN. Real pain...hemmorhoids are acting up. I've always had them off an on...but not like this.

Suggestions on what to do. Yes..drink water and eat veggies. What about a stool softener (not a laxative) like Phillips stool softener? Or what about metamucil? Is this allowed on the yeast diet?

I thought I was going to pass out this morning because of the pain.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First thing you want to do is make sure that you are staying well hydrated.

Since you recently started your new antibiotic protocol I wonder if you've also added some new probiotics? It may take awhile for you gut to adjust to the probiotics. I've also heard some people say that S.Boulardii (Florastor) caused constipation problems. Even if this is the cause, it is still best to take the probiotics.

If you are not already supplementing with magnesium you might want to go ahead and try it. Best absorbed forms are malate, glycinate, and citrate. Start by taking a couple tablets per day, gradually increase the dosage until you have diarrhea, then back down a tablet or two and take this dose daily to maintain regular bowel movements. It may take awhile to get cleaned out and find the right dose to maintain.

You could also try miralax. It pulls water into the intestine and forms a gel to help your body push the waste out. It is safe to use daily or randomly when needed. Your body won't get "addicted" to it like other OTC laxatives.

Try one capfull of the Miralax mixed with a large glass of your choice drink tonight. If no BM after breakfast take another dose. If you still haven't had a BM by dinner, take 2 capfulls. Stick with the 2 capfulls twice daily until you have a BM.

Once you get the BMs regular and soft, you won't be bothered by hemorrhoids any longer.

Also, remember to run a search on constipation. It is something that many of us have asked questions about in the past. You will find some great information there.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we must be on the same schedule! i just posted about my problem too.

first, i tried miralax for about a week -- nothing.

metamucil -- intense pain. then i read where it's psyllium husks. well i have diverticulitis. i thought i was going to die from the pain.

fiber -- did nothing.

correctol -- really bad cramps, double over kind, but only went water.

so i tried the colace somebody on here recommended. i took two tablets and started drinking a ton of water. finally went this morning. had some mild cramping but not bad.

hemmoroids -- mine have gotten so bad they bleed. i use a suppository from walmart and plenty of tucks.

also i have a large jar of "beaudreaux's butt paste". hey, don't laugh. this stuff is a blessing when your little bottom is raw!! so get some of that. i think it's in the baby section.

i've just learned to keep the medicine cabinet stocked with all kinds of stuff.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ginger root will shrink them. I rubbed it on external and they shrunk to nothing....

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try the soluble fiber that dissolves in liquid. "Clear and Natural" by Metamucil is a good one, made in Belgium.
Start with the prescribed dose, 1 heaping teaspoon once per day to start and up it from there to find your perfect dose.
You can dissolve it in tea or coffee of whatever you like to drink. It has no taste, no texture, you won't even know it's there!

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paulette-2-Lively
Member # 26137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulette-2-Lively     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miralax- stool softener. all it does is help pull water to the bowels. Very safe not laxative. My nephew has been taking it since he year old.

The dr. can prescribe hydrocortisone suppository. This will help with inflammation and healing and pain! Feel better soon

--------------------
Paulette

Staying positive - One Day at a Time!

Posts: 10 | From DFW, Texas | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out the threads on parasites and worms. Also check the symptom list for parasites at humaworm. IBS, hemmorroids and constipation are definitely some of the symptoms and ALL Lyme patients should treat for parasites.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NaturalNews.com printable article
Originally published June 1 2010

Common Herbal Tinctures Offer Natural Hemorrhoid Relief without Laser Surgery or Banding
by Susan Laverie, citizen journalist
See all articles by this author
Email this author

(NaturalNews) Hemorrhoids are a common, painful ailment among both men and women of all ages, and though an unpopular and embarrassing subject to discuss, someone has to do it. A combination of herbal tinctures prepared at home and applied when needed brings hemorrhoid relief helping patients avoid laser surgery, banding and other unpleasant methods for treating hemorrhoids.

Often brought on by chronic constipation, straining during bowel movements and bearing down during childbirth, hemorrhoids are varicose veins occurring in the rectum and sometimes protruding from the anus. A variety of at-home and over-the-counter hemorrhoid pain relief applications are available offering varying degrees of efficacy. After many years in practice and making preparations of hemorrhoid home treatments for clients, the author would like to share her formula which is guaranteed to reduce pain and itching from thrombosed external hemorrhoids as well as other less painful hemorrhoids.

A Simple Constellation of Herbal Tinctures Offer Hemorrhoid Relief

Herbal tinctures for use in hemorrhoid home treatment are available at several online homeopathic pharmacies. Tinctures are different than extracts in that the tinctures are prepared with less alcohol which is desirable for hemorrhoid home treatment to help avoid burning sensations. Herbal extracts may be substituted for tinctures.

-Arnica, derived from daisies, reduces swelling and pain due to bruised sensations of external hemorrhoids. Arnica is a well-known remedy for aches and pains and its action when applied topically is almost immediate.

-Calendula, from marigold flowers, is a well-known herb found in liquid form as well as in ointments. Its main use is for healing skin ailments, abrasions, sores, irritation and other problems that need soothing on the skin. Well known homeopathic scholar and former editor of "Homeopathy Today", Julian Winston used to say, "Calendula heals those areas where the sun don't shine!", and it certainly does wonders as a natural cure for painful hemorrhoids and delicate surrounding tissues.

-Aesculus, or horse chestnut, is a superb remedy for hemorrhoid pain relief especially if the patient is experiencing severe venous congestion of external hemorrhoids with sharp sticking pains extending up into the low back accompanied by a low backache. Aesculus is one of the best-known cures for hemorrhoids in homeopathic dilution or as a topical application.

-Hamamelis or witch hazel is an old-time remedy that most moms knew well and is still used to sooth a variety of bruises and aches. Hamamelis tincture is included in the natural hemorrhoid cure because of its ability to sooth bruised, swollen, protruding veins and to reduce engorgement allowing external hemorrhoids to shrink.

Recipe for Natural Cure for Hemorrhoid Home Treatment

The author has named her miracle preparation, "Smiling Goddess Butt Balm", and those who have used it do indeed smile from the hemorrhoid pain relief they experience.

In a two ounce glass or plastic jar combine the following ingredients:

-Equal parts of hydrous lanolin cream and cold pressed olive oil
-20 drops each of arnica, calendula, aesculus and hamamelis homeopathic tinctures

Stir well to soften the lanolin and incorporate the tinctures throughout the mixture. For a thicker cream, add 10 percent more lanolin and reduce the olive oil accordingly. That's it! Very simple and extremely effective. The ointment keeps indefinitely and may be kept chilled in the refrigerator for additional hemorrhoid pain relief. Apply topically as needed.

Because the cream reduces venous congestion, it may also be used on painful varicose veins in the legs. In that case it is called, "Smiling Goddess Beauty Balm". Apply lightly at night before bed.

Sources:

"Synoptic Materia Medica", Frans Vermeulen, 1992

"Materia Medica and Repertory", William Boericke, 1987

U.S.A. Homeopathic Pharmacies
http://www.homeopathyhome.com/direc...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greengirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greengirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a similar "IBS-like" history to you. Upon starting treatment, overload on the probiotics caused me constipation problems (I was taking 2 pills (billions of bugs, each) and a DanActive a day). Now I take just one pill and I'm doing fine.
Posts: 252 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement