LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How long on Malarone before I know it is working?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How long on Malarone before I know it is working?
psr1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psr1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking Malarone for over two weeks, and it does not seem to be touching the sweats and tachycardia. How long should I wait before declaring it a failure and moving on? My LLMD says it may be bart: should I ask him to treat for that instead?
Posts: 360 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't exactly remember, but when I started malarone

My night sweats which originally occurred about 3-5 times a week,

Began to happen nightly. For five long weeks.

I still have babesia issues and this after treating

With malarone or mepron for at least 18 months a stint.

Tachycardia could be related to something else.

I have tachycardia issues related to NMH and POTs.

Don't give up after just two weeks.

What dosage are you on?

What antibiotics are you taking along with the malarone?

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psr1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psr1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I break out in a sweat about 5 times a day. Not drenching, but very noticeable. I do not have NMH or POTS. The Malarone dose is 250 mg twice a day, and I have been adding some of Zhang's artemisiae. Taking Ceftin as well. Thanks - Pam
Posts: 360 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also wondered how long it typically takes for malarone to 'kick in', so to speak.

I just started it around a week ago, and didn't experience a typical herx. I was extra sluggy for that week, but I didn't get super sickly.

This week I noticed some improvements in energy, and my right calf which has been hurting for like 2 years, all of a sudden feels better. But my breathing hasn't improved much, if at all.

I have gotten some night sweats in the past, but haven't started sweating while on malarone.

I'm wondering if perhaps it's the Zith providing some improvement for me, and not the Malarone, as I did test positive for Bartonella. Babesia is the one co-infection I didn't test positive for, but have some symptoms which are close enough to warrant a trial of meds.

By the end of the month, if I have Babesia, should I definitely notice an improvement in breathing? Both myself and doc don't know if my shortness of breath is due to babesia, asthma, bart, or whatever...

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valeriedc
Member # 24950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valeriedc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took malarone for 2 months and my doc switched me to mepron since the malarone had initially seemed to work but didn't sustain, in fact slid back a bit. BTW, mepron seemed to have no affect at all. Seems so individual as many keep saying.
Posts: 72 | From washington dc | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took four malarone a day.

Two pills (250mg each) twice daily.

My breathing issues have been some of my most persistent symptoms.

I had about 6 months relief from air hunger, but now.....it comes and goes.....again.

I didn't herx any harder on mepron than malarone.

I treated for over one year before my air hunger issues began to diminish.

I took biaxin as zith gave me ear ringing issues.

Make sure you take the malarone or mepron with fatty foods for better absorption.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
250 mg 2x/day is a pretty small dose for Babesia. My doc often gives Mepron and Malarone and Zith and Artemisinin and whatever else, all at the same time.

I know that sounds like a ton of meds, but I kicked my Babesia in 1 year. No residual symptoms.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Malarone for about 9mo. Prior to that I was on Mepron and Biaxin XL for about a year. Also did a couple rounds of Coartem.

Honestly, it's hard to tell what symptoms are from what infection. I think that the Malarone is working (along with the other antibiotics) because I'm not waking up as often feeling feverish or drenched in sweat at night. I've noticed this change within the past couple weeks.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also want to second Geneal's reminder to take your Mepron and Malarone with a fatty meal for best absorption.

I did not follow this recommendation seriously until a couple months ago. Now I have to make a conscious effort to include more fats in my meals. It has not been an easy change for me but I want to get well so I have to try.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BoxerMom,
How much Malarone did you take? Also, how much Zith and artemesinin?

Thanks,
Patti

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have a question boxermom.

You took Mepron and Malarone, along with Zith at the same time? What was your dosage?

I have been on four tsp. Mepron/day for six months. Just switched to Malarone 4 pills/day. Can they be taken together, and at what dose? I may bring this up to my LLMD.

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pj1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pj1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
250 mg 4x per day is pretty much the standard dose
but dr b recommends in his newer guidelines 5-6 per day !

im on the last week of it now !!

im hoping this time it finally goes away babs is a hard coinfection to kill off !

Posts: 294 | From sw chicago suburbs | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
psano2 - I tried to PM you but your mailbox was full.

nspiker - I will PM you my doses.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement