LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme from Spider Bites?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme from Spider Bites?
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all:

So..looking back I have no memory of a tick bite, nor did I have a rash that I noticed. I'm not saying a tick bite is out of the question...I live in coastal Massachusetts and ticks / lyme is hyperendemic here.

However...I do remember last year having several bites on my leg. I can't remember exactly when, other than it was in the spring / early summer. I assumed they were spider bites as I have had those before. They were red welts that really itched and were defiitely a but bite of some type. It was like the bug walked up my leg and took three bites out of me.

I'm not wondering if this isn't when I contracted Lyme. It is the only bites I had in the last year. I know some say spiders transmit lyme...but just curious what others say.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenny76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very curious about this as well. I have heard recently that it's not only ticks that carry Lyme and Co's. Spiders and mosquitos too. I have heard this from more than a handful of people and wonder if this can be the case. Hummm...hope some respond.

--------------------
Never, Never, Never give up!

Posts: 395 | From Connecticut | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have wondered the same thing.

I've never been bitten by a tick, that I know of, and yet remember many mosquito bites and one large brown recluse spider bite. My arm swelled up with a big blister, and was given short-term antibiotics.

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was never bitten by a tick that I can remember either. I remember a big bite/rash from a horsefly years ago...??
I do go to a LLMD that is pretty cutting edge. He got into the lyme arena only by having his 'normal' patients come in with spider or flea bites that were suddenly sick. He does believe that any vector can spread this disease. But does also say, it is our DNA that decides on who fights it and who doesn't. As I said... he is cutting edge, and has his own lab in which he does his studies. For me, it makes sense since I never had a tick bite or rash. Someday soon I hope his papers are published on all this. He talks at many lyme conferences about this connection and a lyme induced Autism.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmcmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmcmann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wondered about this too, because shortly before the vertigo set in, I had what looked like a spider bite on my shin - I remember showing my husband and he agreed looked def like a spider bite.

But then I hear people say tick bites can be mistaken for spider bites.

Lyme is one big conundrum.

Posts: 104 | From No. VA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephfino
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephfino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also woke up one night with "bug" bites on my leg- thought something must have gotten in past the air conditioner in the window, or either a spider.

It turned into a strnage rash that lasted 6 weeks. The Derm bioposied it twice with no definitive answer to what it was.

Started having lyme symptoms weeks after and have been sick ever since. I have never been bitten by a tick that I know of-even though I live in "ticktopia" here in NJ.

Posts: 160 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael_Venice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine started soon after I had what I thought to be spider bites on my legs. I remembered joking with my brother about them (he saw them and asked when my 'spidey senses' would kick in).

I hardly thought about it, really. I mean, I wasn't worried...

Looking back, maybe they WERE spider bites, maybe something else. Maybe related, maybe not. I'll never know.

Posts: 322 | From Venice, CA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we need the tick saliva to be infected. It suppresses the immune system. There may be an infinite number of variations on this theme, though. There may be undiscovered mutations of what we know as Lyme, bartonella, babesia, etc.

It could be spread by ticks, fleas, spiders, flies... It may not necessarily be "classic Lyme borrelia". There may be many different variations but they all make us sick.

And then you throw in mold, fungus, yeast, heavy metal toxicity, viruses, retrovirusus... It's a mess.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cordor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cordor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had undiagnosed and untreated lyme for years. (was told I had MS) I was doing ok until shortly after getting ATTACKED by a brown recluse spider while down in North Carolina visiting my daughter. I was bit in my sleep, nine times on the backs of my legs. The itching was very intense and lasted for quite awhile. Then the skin started turning necrotic (literally turned black) and you could also actually see the little tiny "fang" marks.

Ever since that happened in 2001, my health has gone downhill. PCR blood test for lyme in 2003 came up positive.

I did have a bullseye rash back in 1977- but don't remember much else about it. Never went to the doctor for it either.

--------------------
Corinne

Posts: 529 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ott70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ott70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could be wrong but I don't think spiders are considered a parasite carrier like ticks and mosquitos. They definitely don't breed and carry on hosts like ticks and mosquitos. Spiders are also not blood-suckers.
Posts: 194 | From Colorado | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemonlime
Member # 25975

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonlime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read and was told by my doc that lyme gets transmitted by ticks, horseflys, mosquitos and sexual relations- amazing really.

Now lets suppose for a minute that when lyme was created it was created with other boogers and maybe like a time release capsule, they unload into our blood stream - I have read that Lyme was created in a lab back east and i read that sometimes lyme bac's contain a parasite. Crazy huh?

So why can't spiders carry lyme? I don't know - just a crazy thought. Or mabe the spider carries a parasite and the parasite carries the lyme or co's.

Posts: 29 | From arizona | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI -

http://www.raindroptraining.com/messenger/v1n5.html#one

~^~A Brown Recluse Experiment

Seeing how squirting a peppermint-water spray would kill flies
in mid-air, I wondered what pure oil would do. So I did an
experiment on a brown recluse spider. I captured a live one in
a jar and carefully placed one drop of peppermint on one side.

The pure peppermint repelled the spider who crowded to the
otherside to avoid the oil. When I tipped the jar to force the
spider to fall into the oil, it merely squirmed and got away,
still repelled by the oil, but not apparently harmed. Then I put
a drop of water with the oil and tipped the jar so that the
spider slid into the water and oil together and, instantly, it
shrivled up died.

Conclusion: The oil alone is an insect repellant. Combined with
water, it is an insecticide.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ICEiam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ICEiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been told and read that tick bites do not itch. However, since I have never been bit by a tick that I know of, I can't say for sure.

I have also read and been told that any insect that sucks blood can pass Lyme and co infections. That would include head lice and the other bugs that suck blood.

The head lice sure would explain all the cases of Autism in the school aged children. This Lyme thing has gotten more curious as time goes on.

However, spiders do not suck blood....I would really like the answer about this one too.

--------------------
ICEY

Posts: 468 | From Las Vegas NV | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cordor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cordor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been told that Brown Recluse spiders release a very powerful toxin (reason for my skin dying and turning black)and MAYBE that toxin stirs up otherwise "quiet and undiagnosed" lyme disease.
Just a thought.

--------------------
Corinne

Posts: 529 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement