LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » BIRTH CONTROL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BIRTH CONTROL
sonee123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonee123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am getting married next month and on the day of the wedding i am due for my cycle.

Everyone is suggesting i take the birth control pills even for a month. I want to know if anyone here takes birth control pills with lyme?

I take Biaxin but not more than 10 days in a month. I have reduced my medication down alot due to the side effects i had with my gut.

Can you please suggest if i should take it or not? I really want to, but i have no clue what it will do to my body in terms of ABX and pill and lyme.

Thanks!

--------------------
May God Bless you, answer your prayers, relieve you of your pain and make you stronger than what you are today. Ameen.

Posts: 341 | From Columbia, MD | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not. Hormones get messed up enough as it is with Lyme. I use the sympto-thermal method of natural family planning. No bad stuff involved! It's as effective as the pill with no side effects. My youngest kids is 12, so don't be thinking, "Yeah, but she has six kids!" [Big Grin]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you considering the pill for contraceptive purposes or symptom control/skipping periods?

From what I understand, it takes a couple months for your body to adjust to the hormones before you can begin to skip periods. Even then you may have "break through bleeding" and periods.

If your periods are fine and you are not having any ill symptoms with them, I would say keep things as they are. Don't mess with your hormones unless you have to.

If you are considering the pill for contraceptive purposes there are many options. Talk with your gyn, they can help you chose the most appropriate method for you. There are even non-hormone options to consider like IUD's.

Most important, Congratulations! I hope that you have a beautiful wedding and a happy long lasting marriage [Smile]

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I take Loestrin. I only take it because I had unbearable periods before!

I would have cramping for 2 weeks prior to my period. They would be so severe sometimes that it would keep me up all night for days. Even Aleve didn't touch the pain. Plus heavy and long periods.

This is the only thing that helps. Plus I get really bad mood swings.

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Sixgoofy.

With lyme it is important to stay away from fooling your body by changing your hormone balance unnaturally. Some of the "pills" have other negative effects...especially the "yaz" brand which is the one highly promoted. Search on lymenet for YAZ...there are many past posts from educated people about all this and what it means for those who already have compromised immune systems and lyme issues.

Also most important...what toxins do you want to pass to your unborn children. We all pass chemicals, heavy metals, and pathogens to the unborn. Knowing this, I would "run away" from adding more chemicals to your body that is nearer the possibility of conception. I would choose to cleans your body and keep it as free as possible.

Especially with the % of children born with autism, and issues related to inherited toxins. Your life will get consumed with your childrens issues in time...and you want them healthy!!!For us with children, this is now our focus...not really ourselves!

The biggest delemma is what both you and your spouse want...as it has to be mutual. This is important for the start of your marriage to communicate about birth control, and not to do something to yourself...that could eventually harm you, and your future children just for convenience and quick pleasure for you and your spouse.

I too use the sympto -thermal method of family plannnig and have taught it for years. This is not rythmn...and as Six suggests...is very accurate.

I only have two children, by choice. But that said, my husband is supportive by using restraint during the ovulating times of the month. This is done together...not all on the wife.

A time of sacrifice and restraint is a foreign concept to many Americans...who want things in the here and now...and most choose to sacrifice health and communication to just be completely spontaneous with no thoughts.

So this method has to be a mutual choice...but for those who choose this, it is a very beautiful part of marriage that deepens committed love, selflessness that spreads to all areas of the relationship, regular communication of intimate details, and true oneness. Our marriage would not be as deeply committed without it I believe.

Blessings to your new life together.
lp

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellephant
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellephant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i went on the birth control patch for my wedding, and it was the worst thing i've ever done! i gained 15lbs in just TWO weeks and had all kind of health problems. i immediately stopped, but despite under eating and over exercising for 4 years, i never lost a single one of those 15lbs. it really damaged my metabolism!
Posts: 220 | From Kansas | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonee123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonee123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!! So from what i see everyone is suggesting no Pills at all.

Deep down thats exactly what i thought, that i already have alot of symptoms from Lyme and i have reduced down my medication and i really don't want to further pressure my body with anything else. Honestly.

Lightparfait and sixgoofykids, can you tell me what is sympto -thermal method? I am clueless, i am sorry!

Well my main reason was to skip my period on my wedding day!! I get cramps and feel very sick on that day and i can't imagine feeling like that on that day and the after i am on honeymoon.

Despite all of this i am not going to lie i am very sick still with lyme.

I came across a medication that you can take 3 days before your period is due and take it for like a week or two to delay until you want it. Is that something i shouldn't mess with either even if i am only taking it for maximum a week?

Can you tell me what is

--------------------
May God Bless you, answer your prayers, relieve you of your pain and make you stronger than what you are today. Ameen.

Posts: 341 | From Columbia, MD | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't take anything that messes with your hormones like that. I know it seems like the end of the world starting on your wedding day (and it does stink!), but you guys will do fine.

Sympto-thermal is a method that uses your body symptoms to determine when you are fertile. You avoid the fertile time if you want to avoid pregnancy. You take your temperature every morning and check other symptoms like mucus.

Taking your temperature also has health benefits because you can know if there is a problem with your body, ie low body temperature, or starting your period too soon after ovulation.

LP, I taught it for 7 years, too!!

I whole-heartedly agree that it has deepened our marriage. "Waiting" each month for the fertile time to be over is sometimes much the same as waiting for the honeymoon. There is a certain anticipation. Plus, you know, when you can't have something right now, you want it even more, which is helpful for a marriage to have that kind of desire.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
There are many supplements that can help relieve cramps: magnesium is number one. Dong Quai, too. A good ND (naturopathic doctor) or L.Ac. (acupuncturist) can help. Generally, its best to see one who is LL, but as time is of a concern here they may be able to help with this even if they are not truly LL.

More here:

You can look inside this book and read customer reviews here:

www.amazon.com/Womens-Encyclopedia-Natural-Medicine-Alternative/dp/0071464735/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263766552&sr=1-1

Women's Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine: Alternative Therapies and Integrative Medicine for Total Health and Wellness

By Tori Hudson, ND

About $17 at Amazon
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonee123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18632

Ok.

I know this question may sound hard headed, but taking the PILL for one month will still due alot of damage to my body? Everyone who does not have lyme suggests i should take them at least for a month and the risk factors are low for me since i am not over weight and i am young. However, i would like to ask this question to my LLMD and i can't get a hold of him. I really can't even see him until end of next month.

I am so confused! I know i dont want to put anything in my body that will damage anything further, but i was hoping a month for a PILL should not damage alot!

--------------------

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

In teaching NFP, I heard about a lady who took it for six months and didn't have a normal cycle for TWO YEARS once she stopped. Of course, I heard all the horror stories because many of my students were people coming off the pill and unable to get pregnant. After those stories, no way would I ever take it.

--------------------

Joyful
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joyful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could never tolerate BC pills. Kinda sucks, but there ya go...

--------------------
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...
Psalm 139:14
http://confessionsofalymie.wordpress.com/

Posts: 113 | From down South | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

I actually took them years ago. I felt a lot of nausea and had no desire whatsoever. Hubby and I joke that their method of working is to make it so the woman doesn't want sex. Wasn't funny at the time though.

--------------------

sonee123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18632

Wow. Ok. I guess there is no hope for me then. I will have to be on my cycle on wedding and honeymoon and just have to cope with that.

Thank you guys for your suggestions. They mean alot!

Thanks

--------------------

merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an IUD. No periods, but it took 4 months of bleeding and all that. You need to have had a baby before as well. Its a good option for BC
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It would have been impossible for me to even attend a movie during my periods. I would have had to cancel my wedding, quite actually.

You might ask your gyn if there is something to speed it along now that would not mess too much with your body and keep you period free for your wedding.

or get on the wagon now with magnesium supplements, and an herbalist. But that can still take months to normalize.

Thinking just of the pain you spoke of, I'd sure like to see a way your wedding can be a beautiful day. Can you change the date? I know that is unlikely but, if a small wedding, it might be possible. This is YOUR day, after all. I hope this works out well

But, other than the wedding, be sure to take with your LLMD about how to protect your husband-to-be regarding lyme, etc.. That is important.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sonee, I'm sorry to hear that you are in such a time crunch. Try to get in with your gyn ASAP. They might have some recommendations for you.

One thing you can and should do is try taking 600-800mg (that's 3-4 tablets) of Ibuprofen 3-4x per day WITH FOOD. Start taking the Ibuprofen 2 days before you are due to start your period.

This will help block/reduce the prostaglandins that normally cause the awful symptoms (cramping, heavy bleeding, irritability, etc...) related to your period.

Keep taking the Ibuprofen (at least 600mg 3-4x daily) for a couple days after you start your period. And please remember to take it with food to reduce/prevent stomach irritation.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please be aware that some antibiotics can make birth control pills less effective. You may want to ask your doctor about this.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonee123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18632

I know some ABX do that to the pills. I am on Biaxin 500mg a day. I take it probably 10 times in a month!

I been trying to talk to my LLMD but the nurse wont let me speak to him! I want to ask him so bad and he is booked to get appt til next month!

This is insane! I just don't know what to do [Frown]

This is one day that i am not suppose to be in pain! but again i dont want to cause any damage to myself. Everyone here thinks they are really bad for us

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
In addition to Tori Hudson's "Women's Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine" above, you might see what this natural medicine author has to say about all this. If addressed here, it would more specific to lyme:

http://www.dancingviolets.com/media/pdf/LymeDisease.pdf

Chronic Lyme Disease and Co-infections: Clinical Overview (R. Snow)

===============

Corydalis may be of help:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/24039

Topic: Looking for long term pain management
-

Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sonee123, have you tried to fax the doctor your question? Let them know the urgency and ask for a call back.
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best suggestion is that you ask your LLMD this question.

I had a very well known LLMD put me on a low dose birthcontrol pill. It controled the night sweats from babs... and it made it so I would 'know' when I would herx.

But again, you're going to get a different answer from all of us. We're not your dr....

Addressing this with your dr. is the best option for you.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Start taking magnesium and B vitamins, particularly B 6, that will help with the pain. You want it now though, you need to correct deficiencies. You also want EFA's like oil of evening primrose.

http://www.marilynglenville.com/general/dysmenorrhoea.htm

--------------------

sammy
Member # 13952

There is something you can do, try taking some Ibuprofen 2 days before you're supposed to start your period.

It will help block the prostaglandins that cause your cramps and other period symptoms. I listed the details in my earlier post.

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can give the nurse your question for the doctor. Then, they will call you with the answer usually in 2 days.
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When are you getting married? I tried taking pills to stop my period like you are talking about but it didn't work the 1st month. I forget what kind they were though.

But now I am on Loestrin 24. It is suppose to give you a short and light period. Well I get no period at all. My OB doc is ok with this and so am I. (Although I am done having kids.)

But the alternative was severe menstrual problems! Like I said above, pain that lasted weeks and kept me up all night. Really unbearable for me. To be honest with you I was desperate and was willing to have a hysterectomy voluntarily if this didn't work!

So I will take my chances with the pill. It's the only thing that helps me. But I am not sure it will stop your period the 1st month you take it?

If you decide to try one like I said the Loestrin 24 works for me. I haven't had a period since I have been on them. I can still tell when I should have one and sometimes have clear discharge, very mild cramps and a little moody but that's about it. I bearly notice it.

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseNM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseNM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on "the Pill" for years and years, with Lyme. Most recently, i was on Seasonale, where you only get a period every 3 months. I started that one because the periods were soooo rough - cramps, terribly moody/crying, awful PMS, etc. It worked great, but I think it had a lot to do with the weight I put on.

Not on anything right now, but the periods are getting bad again, especially the PMS.

That being said, if it were my wedding day, I'd definately be talking to my LLMD and/or gyn about a short term pill. I can't imagine trying to have fun, much less feel romantic with a period like that!

It was always my experience that my period would stop up as soon as I started my next batch of pills.

Good luck and congratulations!

--------------------
dx: MS in 1998
2007 - Lyme suspected
2009 - Positive Lyme, MS worse. Now: Copaxone shots for MS
gall bladder out 7/09
Ceftin, Zith, Septra
LDN
Acyclovir
Monolaurin, DHEA, Pregnonelon, Curcumin

Posts: 243 | From New Mexico | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stress (like travel, weddings, worry and such) has always delayed my period. Maybe you won't get your period when you think you will.

Also, have you tried checking with your pharmacist about the pill/abx combos?

I do wish you a wonderful wedding, honeymoon, and marriage! All the best to you!!!

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not get a diaphram (will hold back the blood) and take naproxen for cramps starting a day or so before your period? Also search Instead, an alternative to tampax. Keep toxic shock syndrome in mind and change it as per package directions. I think drugstore.com sells them.

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnydays
Member # 25310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnydays     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I don't think taking birth control just for your wedding night is worth it.

Many couples are too tired after the reception anyways! Not meaning to kill the romance of it.

Besides, if you are not planning on taking birth control during the marriage, or even if you are, your husband will need to get used to the fact that you can't control when your monthly cycle will come, and when it does come, you'll need to adapt to it. It's just a part of life, so it's good to find other ways to express your love during those times.

There are other things you can do to increase your closeness and show sexual affection to your spouse like touching, etc. Though what you do beyond intercourse varies depending on your religious beliefs/traditions and what you decide as a couple.

I thought I was going to get my period the day of my wedding, but it came a few days late, probably from the stress. PMS'ing on the wedding day is not fun, but I got through it!

At the end of the day, it is your decision. Some Lymies do react adversely to birth control though, so be aware of that.

Good luck!

Posts: 89 | From U.S. | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the depo. I haven't had anymore issues now-then when I did before. My LLMD says it's fine. I have no period. And it doesn't interact with very much. It's not like most antibiotics with pills. There isn't much that makes depo not effective. I even asked the pharmacist.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't risk the "different" BC pill, Yasmin.

You are in the category of those who should NOT take it.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thejoje
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thejoje   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sonnee,
My 3 daughters and I all suffer(ed) from horrible cramps, vomiting, bad PMS, etc every month. We tried many, many different kinds of natural treatments and nothing has ever worked for 2 of us. High doses of Mg helped one of us.

Every month, they consume a lot of advil. It's the only thing that touches the pain. I agree with sammee. Try to pre-empt the cramps by taking 800mg. My girls have to take this dose every 4 hours. (that's 4 pills) If you do this, you should be fine on your wedding day. Just remember to take the pills every 4 hrs.

I'm also a big fan of the ST NFP. My hubby and I have used it for years and had 2 planned pregnancies. (One was twins)

If you are interested, I suggest taking a class with your future husband. NFP is a very interesting course on fertility and commitment-to the program and to each other, and it is a safe, chemical-free, effective method of birth control. It is also the world's best kept secret.

Congratulations on you upcoming wedding, and good luck!!

--------------------
When we are no longer able to change a situation---we are challenged to change ourselves.
(Viktor Frankl- Holocaust survivor)

Posts: 460 | From Maine | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have found that cramps get better over time with treatment...less severe. But still present. This does not help your situation at present...but know you are not alone. This is a part of womanhood.

Also, you just reminded me that the day after my wedding...on my honeymoon...my period started!

The joy of marriage overroad my cramps...and I did not experience misery. Although it did bring about loads of communication about my monthly cycle with my new husband. And we learned pretty quickly that it was "no problem", just a little inconvenient. AS we were starting NFP...it is the safest time to avoid pregnancy. It did not change any fun...it made it more creative! It showed me my husbands unconditional love. And it got me out of my "inhibitions".

Suggest you think as positively about this as you can. Mind over matter. IF you go into your day with thinking this will be horrible...then it will. Go with the flow...literally.

Bring your advil as suggested by the jojoe...(we find this very helpful too)...and start right now saying three positive things that you are grateful for...even having your period...consider it a gift...and the ability to bring forth life....the mind controls our emotions and can positively or negetively effect our health and attitudes. Your period willnot ruin your day...but you mind can. Do not let that happen.

Be prepared for it to come...and get married by also preparing your heart with gratitude...and your day will be blessed!

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnydays
Member # 25310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnydays     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other thing to keep in mind is.....you will find many other times in your married life when your period interferes, so it's best you just accept it unless you are planning on always using birth control to "control" when it comes.

For example, your anniversary, a special vacation, Valentine's day, a romantic evening your husband had planned for you, etc. I guess I just accepted long ago that I can't control it all. Luckily, my husband has always been very understanding and not made me feel bad about it.

Have you thought about asking your future husband? Just telling him that you are worried your period will come the day of the wedding, and ask if he minds waiting a few days, or if he thinks you should try the pill?

I'm not saying you have to do what he says, but maybe getting his input will give you more security with whatever you decide.

Maybe if you have his blessing to just wait, it will make you feel better to not use the pill. I think deciding as a couple would probably be the best way, and make sure he understands the risks you'll be taking too with regards to your health.

It's good to make decisions together....so far it has worked for my spouse and I. It teaches you to respect the other person and see their point of view, and it teaches the two of you to weigh each other's opinions and reach compromise.

And sometimes it's one person's way or the highway (like if you already know what you want to do), and that's fine too, but then at least the other person knows the reasoning and is in the loop on the decision.

ps--luckily my husband normally says "whatever you want" when it's a decision involving me. I guess if your spouse is the kind that always likes to get his way, you would learn to not ask him! That isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

Posts: 89 | From U.S. | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was worried about this too. I specifically brought it up to my doctor.

He told me point blank, yes, it would be inconvenient and unpleasant for my period to come around my wedding date, but he said that your wedding night/honeymoon is not the only time you will ever be able to have sex, so don't worry about it.

I ended up going on Depo a couple months before my wedding, and guess what?

I ended up with a period that lasted almost a month straight--including over my wedding day and into the honeymoon--before my period finally quit for the rest of the time I was on the Depo.

Like others have said, talk it out with your future hubby---this may be the first time you have to deal with your monthly visitor, but it won't be the last.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faith6
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We also used NFP to space our 6 children. We wanted 12 when we got married, but because of my health decided 6 was all my body could handle.

--------------------
"His faithful love endures forever." Psalm 136

Posts: 189 | From MN | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonee123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18632

What is NFP? I went to Planned Parenthood and got RX for Microgestin 1/20. I am suppose to started sunday and it is low dose and nurse said that it is one of the ones with least calls she gets about problems. However i read online and reviews aren't so good [Frown]

--------------------

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all...I was remiss...

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! I wish you much joy and love.

Now...about periods on wedding days...are you aware of this product?

http://www.softcup.com/

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement