LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sketchy notes from Congressman Smith's Lyme forum

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sketchy notes from Congressman Smith's Lyme forum
j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everybody,

These are disjointed notes from Congressman Chris Smith's Lyme forum, here in Monmouth Co., NJ, June 2nd. I am so sorry I couldn't take better notes, I am still dealing with Lyme brain. Plus, I have difficulty taking notes, because then I miss what is currently being said. It was very unfortunate that due to technical difficulties with the mics (and maybe some taking too much time) that of all people Dr. Burrascano was cut short. How very disappointing!

First up was the 10 yr. old, from Freehold, NJ, who won an award for his essay on Lyme. It was very uplifting. I believe Rick, from LymeLife sent the article that I saw, but it was just an excerpt.

Then Congressman Chris Smith told us about his efforts in getting some Lyme bills passed. I hope you aren't disappointed that I didn't note what was what. I do know that to get one thing through he put it through by itself and he told Frank Pallone (creep who is holding things up) if he didn't like the bill to rewrite it. He may have told others, too.

Then Pat Smith told us (hurriedly) all the wonderful things that LDA has been able to do it getting laws passed, giving grants, Columbia Univ. Lyme Research, and how you can get so much info at their site. (Frankly, I find it hard to navigate the site, but I am glad for all their work!)

Then an Army entomologist got up to speak. She studies all the ticks found on our NJ military bases, the soldiers have to send in all the ticks found on them. She told of the different types, the stages and a little about them. What she said about the deer tick is that they are hitchhikers, they hang on the tops weed blades. They cannot survive on a sunny lawn or in the dryer. That 1 in 5 in Monmouth Co. (my co.) carry Lyme.

Then Dr. Harris, the CEO of IgeneX spoke and put a lot of us to sleep, because he was dry and very technical. My LLMD, who was there, said it was very technical and geared toward drs. So, no notes from me.

Here are the patchy notes I took from Dr. Burrascano (he is so soft spoken that my hubby and I missed a lot, I guess we aren't the only ones):

Early Lyme needs abx treatment 4-6 wks at full dose (doxy 400mg). Late disseminated Lyme is 6 mos. - 1 yr. before treatment. Chronic Lyme Disease - over 1 yr. Lyme has a 4 wk. cycle (Babs has a 6 day cycle), if you keep a journal you should be able to see this. When he spread out his abx he had his worst herxes and then got better. (Mine are getting spread out now to every 3 wks. This time I won't panic when I get old symptoms back since hearing him say this.)

His thought on XMRV - is it a coinfection or is it an infection many of us have because our immune system is compromised.

Info on CLD (primarily neuro):

They are the sickest and rarely test pos. for Lyme. After treatment 36% will test pos. The goal is to balance the immune system and the Bb load, so the immune system can keep it in check.

Effects of Lyme (I think we all know these, but...) :
Immune activation and suppression
Neurotoxins
Hormonal Imbalance
Damage to organs, tissues, cells, DNA
Nutrition
Metabolism

How long to treat (he believes most need IV abx and a combo of abx)? Based on individual needs, response and may need to be months or yrs. Active infection may persist. Relapses occur, retreatment may be necessary. Abx may not cure, may need repeating, or open ended abx may be necessary.

Treat children the same. Teen hormones stir up Lyme and other bacteria, viruses, etc.

CD57 - normal >180, >120 unlikely to relapse

If neuro symptoms do not clear, there is the option to treat w/IVIG.

Progressively increase exercise as Lyme symptoms decrease. You need to exercise to get better, those who don't won't.

He named different ways that dehydration occurs for us and emphasized how we need to stay hydrated.

Next came questions, which were answered by the speaker who could best answer.

How long do ticks have to be attached, what is it about 24 hrs? (Pat Smith) It takes 24 hrs. for the Bb to work it's way up from the tick's stomach (I think she said stomach) to the mouth, BUT if they are already in the salivary glands you can get it with less time.

Don't know the question here, but Dr. Burrascano said that Bartonella effects the eyes more than Lyme (inflammation, Lyme - blurred vision).

Dr. B - They have found Bb in breast milk. They tested 4 women's breast milk, 2 PCR and 2 DNA and all were positive.

Other vectors for Lyme (Army ent.) - others carry Lyme, but have not been proven to transmit - yet.

Why isn't IgeneX test FDA approved? (Dr. Harris) Labs do not get FDA approval unless they plan to sell their tests to another lab.

Dr. B - BLO more likely than Lyme to cause seizures.

Would you treat if you only have Band 41? (Dr. Harris) The older you are the more likely you are to have Band 41, so he feels if you find it in a baby or young child that the dr. should be interested in treating.

What do you think about HBO treatment? (Dr. B) Believes it can be useful as adjunct, it makes abx more effective. It will not cure Lyme and has no effect on coinfections.

What does pos. IgM mean? (Dr. Harris) Active or chronic infection.

Can artemisinin alone treat Babs? (Dr. B) No and it can cause Babs to become resistant.

How long should a herx last? (Dr. B) Usually several days, but with Ketex it can be for weeks.

Autism and vaccines - Dr. B and Dr. Harris think they are a good thing, but that there will never be an effective Lyme vaccine. Dr. B thinks that if the immune system didn't develop effective abx against the Bb, then how it is going to with just a piece of it? Dr. Harris thinks it would only cause harmful effects.
Autism from vaccines? - A theory Dr. B says they are looking into is, are the vaccines, in stimulating the immune system, stirring up a virus the child has already and causing the autism.

That's all I have, folks.

liz

PS I was speaking to a girl there and gave her info about LymeNet. If you are reading this I want to tell you that CanLyme.com has a lot of info including dr's articles and news.

Posts: 471 | From NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks !
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good job!
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you!!!
Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cockapoo1996
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cockapoo1996     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you posting this. Could you or anyone explain what Dr. B meant by the following?

quote:
Originally posted by j_liz:
When he spread out his abx he had his worst herxes and then got better.

Posts: 472 | From New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
j_liz,

Do you possibly have a list of citations or references for the info discussed?

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info.

Parents must know that if something else is going on with the immune system and a vaccine causes even more damage-they will not be compensated.

http://www.whale.to/vaccines/vaers.html
To read the reports for yourself you have to agree to terms and box will take you to search.
http://vaers.hhs.gov/data/index

For the ones with a lot of adverse reports I would be more cautious with Lyme.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing!
Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gatorade girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gatorade girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone please explain the thing about art mes in? Should it not br taken for babesia? I am so confused.

--------------------
gatorade girl

"I still have Mt.Everest to climb, but I have traveled across the world and arrived at the mountain".

Posts: 633 | From baltimore | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for posting the information. [Smile]

--------------------
God Bless You! Everything..is just my opinion.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cockapoo1996:
Thank you posting this. Could you or anyone explain what Dr. B meant by the following?

quote:
Originally posted by j_liz:
When he spread out his abx he had his worst herxes and then got better.

I recall reading that he waited for cyclic relapses to occur and then he would treat with abx.

Thx for the report!

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks great report. I think you did fine even with the fog.
My only question is why won't nick harris go ahead and give his testing procedures to other labs? Wouldn't that help thousands of people in the long run. Isn't that what all this is about. Other labs finding lyme by using his testing method would produce more positives and put lyme more on the map.
Makes me wonder ....hasn't he made enough pulling in 20/30 million a year.

Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any other lab that wanted to do this kind of testing could do it without any involvement from IGeneX. But you notice there aren't a lot of labs jumping into this work. And the reason is that they know the govt doesn't want a lot of positive tests and does everything it can to prevent cases from being reported and they will harrass any labs that make this a specialty.

So, cleo, you are not making much sense here. You are poorly informed on this subject.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a lot of people who may not understand

that unless they have seen the movie UOS that has

enlighened me.

I had no idea they could patent and profit over

organisms that cause diseases in us.

So those that do want to look for alternative ways to work with them cannot use materials that are patented.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement