LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dilated pupils?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dilated pupils?
momintexas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few months ago, I had a post about vision changes and know they are common.

But, do any of you have dilated pupils?

If so, have you found anything to help it or reasons why?

I have mentioned this numerous times with several Dr's about my son's eyes and they all seem to brush it off.

My son has seen an eye Dr as well and she was LL and didn't say much about it either.

Today for the first time in months, I noticed his eyes were not dilated, but now tonight they are back to being dilated again.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My neighbor evidently has lyme. One of his pupils dilates and the other is normal. He went to an eye doctor who told him this is definitely lyme disease. The doc has had other patients with the same problem.

Then, I recently read on lymenet where 2 different people with lyme mentioned the same thing.

When the pupils don't match, the docs really go crazy. They had my neighbor in the hospital, looking for brain tumors, etc. as an emergency patient. Then, when they couldn't find anything, the emergency was over and they discharged him.

He is now looking for a good lyme doc.

Since lyme is basically a disease of the nervous system, it makes sense that it can attack any of the nerves that control the eye and cause such things. It is known to cause temporary blindness. Once, I had gaps in my visual field from the disease. And, I know a person who had an episode of temporary blindness. People on this forum have had that too. So, lyme can affect the eyes, the hearing, every sense and every part of the body.

Getting good lyme treatment should get rid of this and every other lyme symptom. The doc is the key to getting rid of this disease. Can't emphasize that enough. A lot of docs treat lyme, but not many know enough to get rid of it for people.

I had undiagnosed lyme disease for 10 years (plus babesiosis and bartonella). It has now been 5 years since I completed my treatment and I am still symptom-free, enjoying my life. I have the same life I had before lyme disease.

A doc who followed the Burrascano lyme treatment guidelines got me well. He was my third lyme doc.

Those are some of my thoughts.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom asks every doctor why my pupils stay dialated. They look in my eyes, and never comment.

I think it could be the CNS and/or the ANS dysfunctioning. I think it could also be an adrenal thing.

I came up with this myself, but like you, no doctor has a straight answer other than my eyes are fine.

Fine or not, my eyes weren't like this before. At times the pupil is literally the size of the iris. Sun can be hard, especially during die offs. Polarized glasses are best. I have glasses as dark or darker than the ones you get from the opthamologist.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your replies.

TF - glad to hear you are doing well - its great to hear about people actually beating this.

My son's eyes are dilated equally. And kday, just like you, some days they are dilated to just about the size of his iris.

It was nice to see his eyes back to normal for a few hours......

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickwhisperer
Member # 18676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickwhisperer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Following a swollen lymph node in my neck, this was one of my first symptoms when I was very young (15). My pupils were blown even in broad daylight. People would look at me and be amazed!

I also had TMJ and burning ears at about the same time, so I'm assuming the Lyme was working on my nervous system at the time. I was only recently diagnosed at age 43! and have been on ABX the last three years. Better, but still not out of the woods.

Posts: 11 | From Orange County, CA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I had this problem on and off for years, and one was larger than the other much of the time.

Lyme affects the various nervous systems in many ways. Lyme also clobbers adrenal function. Both nervous system and adrenal system dysfunction can cause changes in the pupils.

A good LLMD will know how to interpret the patterns and how to help.

==========

http://webhome.idirect.com/~wolfnowl/thyroid7.htm

Get To Know Your Endocrine System -by Lauri M. Aesoph, N.D.

Excerpt:

(section on) Adrenal Glands

. . . Your body reacts to these hormones with a "flight or fight" response: pounding heart, dilated pupils . . . .

=========================

http://www.prohealth.com/ME-CFS/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=14383&B1=EM031109C

http://tinyurl.com/detwtt

Underactive Adrenal Gland - Stresses and Problems with the Body's 'Gear Box' - by Dr. Sarah Myhill, MD

=======================

Many libraries carry this book and you can read 95 customer reviews here (average 4.5 star out of 5) AND see inside the book:

www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatigue-Century-Stress-Syndrome/dp/1890572152/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263516913&sr=8-1

Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome

~ James L. Wilson, ND, DC, PhD, Johnathan V. Wright, MD

About $10. And qualifies for free shipping with a total $25. Purchase at Amazon

======================

http://tinyurl.com/y8bd9k2

Curcumin Prevents Some Stress-Related Changes (By CP Staff)
-

[ 06-13-2010, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My chiropractor friend pointed this out to me when I first got sick. He said he noticed that my pupils were almost always dilated. We came to the conclusion that it was a neurological sign.

It made me feel really self conscious for awhile though because I wondered if other people noticed. I didn't want people to think that I was a drug addict or something.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Equal?

Your eyes are trying hard to capture light...as much as possible.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the issue of one pupil being dilated while the other is normal.

Like many on here, I have been to numerous eye docs and none can give me any answers, except to tell me my eyes are fine.

One eye doc told me that as long as both eyes continued to react to light--which they do--it was fine.

Even after a year and a half of tx, I still have this symptom, some days worse than others. My worst eye problem right now is floaters.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Thank you all for your replies. [Smile]

Keebler - as always great links.

I appreciate all of you sharing your wisdom and experiences. It really helps.

I wish none of us had to be here though!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement