LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » sudden inability to tolerate my fish oil?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sudden inability to tolerate my fish oil?
Loonie1980
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18637

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Loonie1980     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

Has anybody had this? I've been on a fish oil supplement for several years now without any trouble.

Then suddenly I can't seem to tolerate it-it's giving me a lot of GI problems, nausea, bloating,..etc.

And I was tolerating it just fine! What happened? I've given myself lots of breaks but when I try to restart the GI stuff goes crazy.

Suggestions? Comments anyone?

Posts: 182 | From hills and valleys | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lajamur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lajamur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES, this happened to me.

i took it for several years and then gradually found that it made me nauseated and caused an increase in my anxiety.

i did some research and found that it can apparently increase dopamine levels which for some of us is a bad thing.. i SUSPECT i have too much dopamine in my brain to begin with.

it doesn't sound like the issue you're having is brain-related though... ?

have you tried other sources of EFA's? krill oil? a different brand of fish oil?

i know rancidity and contamination can also be an issue with some brands, and that could definitely cause GI issues.

--------------------
Symptoms since age 4
IGM positive Western Blot (Bb)
PCR positive Spiro Stat (Anaplasma)
Suspect babs and bart

Posts: 226 | From Currently in Los Angeles, originally from Malvern, PA. | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loonie1980
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loonie1980     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi lajamur,

Never thought of that. YES to the occasional 'anxiety'-thought that meant low dopamine, not the opposite?

Mostly GI related though, less brain related. What are other sources of EFA's? never tried kriss oil either or another brand.

Thanks, your post made me think!

Posts: 182 | From hills and valleys | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lajamur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lajamur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi loonie,

i think the neurotransmitter stuff can be really hard to figure out.. but as far as i can tell, yes, dopamine SEEMS to be an issue for me since i don't do well with anything that is "pro-dopaminergic."

as for other/better sources of EFA's -- i'm sure there are others here who have looked into that more than i have but off the top of my head i know that krill is supposed to be good.. it's made from krill which are like small shrimpy things, as opposed to fish.

i used to take carlson's fish oil since i was always told that that was a relatively "pure" brand but i bet there are other brands which are even cleaner.

flax is another source of omega 3's but it has its own drawbacks if i remember correctly..

i think some people on here have mentioned omegabrite as being a good brand -- that might be worth looking into.

--------------------
Symptoms since age 4
IGM positive Western Blot (Bb)
PCR positive Spiro Stat (Anaplasma)
Suspect babs and bart

Posts: 226 | From Currently in Los Angeles, originally from Malvern, PA. | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Did they change anything about their product? Or the bottle?

Is your gallbladder a happy camper these days. Even good oils can be a rough ride if the gallbladder is irritated.

Would another brand help - or another oil, like hemp seed oil, black current oil (but the different between Omega 3, 6, 9 would have to be checked out. I forget which is which and what provides what).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pay attention to capsules, as well. I became seriously allergic to gelatin at one point. My supplements put me into anaphylaxis!

Like Keebler said, gallbladder is a possibility. It takes a healthy gallbladder to digest fats.

Another possibility is low digestive enzymes or leaky gut. Both of these cause major bloating.

I'm with the others. Change your source of EFAs for a while.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninjaphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if you got a bad batch or the fish oil got oxidised or heated or something like that.

Have you tried to smell it to see if it's gone bad ?
If it's a gelcap, cut one open and see if it smells/tastes bad ?

Posts: 330 | From Colorado, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Is the bottle being kept in the fridge? Did it ever get hot? Check expiration date. Sometimes old bottles get sold.

As suggested by ninjaphire, If anything does not taste right to your tastebuds, or smell right, inform the company. They should offer a refund.

As someone else to also taste it (well, that is if it seems okay, in general).

For gallbladder, a herb called stonebreaker is very helpful. From my file notes:
----------------

Search ``Gallbladder'' at these sites:

================

http://www.itmonline.org

ITM

==========

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/

The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook

==============

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=gallbladder

Articles on Gallbladder - 4 articles

=======================

From Herb Pharm, a wonderful tincture that has helped me:

http://herb-pharm.com/catalog/stonebreakerchancapiedracompound-p-242.html

STONE BREAKER (Chanca Piedra) COMPOUND

=====================

From Rain-Tree:

http://www.rain-tree.com/chanca.htm

Chanca piedra (Phyllanthus niruri)

=======================

PubMed Search:

Stonebreaker - zero

Chanca Piedra - zero

Phyllanthus niruri - 69 abstracts

phyllanthus nirurii - 483 abstracts

=====================

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Special-Diets-768/Foods-gallbladder.htm

Topic: Special Diets

Subject: FOODS for GALLBLADDER
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loonie1980
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loonie1980     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,
never thought of some of the points you all raised. No capsules, this stuff is enteric coated or something like that.

I just bought a new bottle a month or two ago, it's not expired either. Think I'll switch to another brand, this one's killing my stomach.

Thank you for all your input!

RESOLVED.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RESOLVED.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a lot of problems with fish oil until I started taking it right before bed. Now, I don't have any issues with it at all. Just an idea, worked for me.
Posts: 246 | From south florida | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement