LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » incredible brain herx with clinda&quinine?! help :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: incredible brain herx with clinda&quinine?! help :(
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey folks.. since 3 weeks im on clindamycine and quinine for babesia.

im in treatment now since 14 months permanently and still have some brain fog.. after treating bartonella and lyme, my llmd think that i may have babesia due haemolytic anemia sometimes, anorexia, sweating, rocky boat feeling and the brain fog.

after 1 week quinine and clinda i had 2 good days.. i thought "wow its getting bettern now".. but since last week monday im getting worse.
satureday and yesterday i had some major brain fog... and:

- hot flashes
- sweating
- rocky boat feeling
- confused
- dizzy
- totally in and out of it... hello mars
- headache like i would wear a too small helmet

now i dont know if it is a herx or if i should stop the medication?!
im taking: 1200mg-2100mg clindamycine/day (depends on feeling, llmd said i have to take 2100mg) + quinine 3x 250mg/day

any thoughts or suggestions?! someone had the same? or is this typical babesia herx?? do u have brain herxes on babesia??

Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I would back off...That is a lot of med.

Or even stop for a day of detox...My LLMD says this is a Marathon not a sprint...

You don't want more damages.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
usually docs prescribe here 3x 650mg chinin a day.. dosage of 2100mg clinda is normal.. im from europe and think i have the divergens strain which is hard to rid off
Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew! I'd back off too. You don't want to herx so hard that you have permanent effects.

I never took more than one quinine pill per day... can't remember the clindy dosage..but it was likely half what you are taking.

You SURE don't want permanent ringing in the ears from the quinine.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would stop the CLindamycin/quinine and use the current protocol of Mepron/Zithromax/artemesia. Also, make sure you take Florastor. Clindamycin is the # 1 offender for c.diff and it is rarely prescribed due to the high risk.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riverpatrol
Member # 12182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riverpatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD has me on the same protocol, plus plaquenil and Invanz. It sounds like you are herxing. My babs herxes were horrible when I first started battling babs. I toughed it out with a lot of detox (detox is very necessary, and lymph drainage) and now I am almost rid of babs.
Posts: 69 | From So Cal | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

quote:
Originally posted by WildCondor:
I would stop the CLindamycin/quinine and use the current protocol of Mepron/Zithromax/artemesia. Also, make sure you take Florastor. Clindamycin is the # 1 offender for c.diff and it is rarely prescribed due to the high risk.

mepron is way to expensive for me.. i am a student and cant pay 650� for 1 bottle.. 1 bottle is for 3 weeks.. ONLY... and u need to treat at least 6 months.. sry thats too much.. mepron would be the last abx i would try against babesia because i have to take a credit for it.

im backing off now a little bit my meds.. lets see what will happen.. its strange because the first week was ok and then suddenly the hot flashes, headaches etc

greetz

Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
daniel, the symptoms you describe can definitely be from Babesiosis. I have had all the ones you list. Some people with Babs herx every three weeks or so.

I take 1200 mg of Clindamycin daily for Babesiosis--600 mg twice daily. It sounds like your dose is very high at 2100 mg. I had a severe cognitive herx about five days after starting the Clindamycin. I do not take Quinine, so I am not familiar with the dose.

About feeling out of it, I call this "OPS" for outer-planetary surrealism!

Make sure you let your doctor know the symptom intensity you are experiencing. I hope things let up for you soon.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pj1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pj1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mepron/malarone/zithromax /and artemesinin is the way to go !

clindamyacin and quinine is such a nasty herx yes its much cheaper but why run the risk of c diff ?

Posts: 294 | From sw chicago suburbs | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel - Have you tried Artemisinin? I do take it with other things like Malarone and Zith but so far I think the Art is what is helping most.

I'm afraid to say that and jinx it.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zith and artemisinin is defintely a good economical choice .. and it works.

Be sure to take Florastor if you continue the clindy/Q protocol.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

hey,

yes im pulsing artemisin, im taking the 500mg pills... 2x a day, 4 days on, 3 days off.

i take everyday probiotics which are preety expensive too.. 100 euro a month, but they are good... and im drinking almost every day kefir.

the first week i hade some problems like stomache and diharrea... but only 2-3 days.. since that i have no problems at all.. just farting sometimes(at my girlfriend lol:D)

i spoke to my llmd because i wanted to add some zith but she didnt prescribed it, she is afraid of damageing my liver.

at the moment i stick bactrim with the clinda and quinine..

i dont know if it would be a good choice to change the whole protocol to:

artemisin+lariam+zith and pulsed flagyl... lets see..

greetz

17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel,

When I felt like my "helmet was on too tight" i backed off the abx and got some relief.

But the thing that helped the most was detox. Lemon water was good but IV glutathione was excellent!!! I got amazing results w/in hours!

I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

hey all,

today i feel much better than yesterday.. i think i will make a abx free day tomorrow too.. but i have that feeling, that i feel better then before the clinda/q .. lets see.. maybe its working preety well against babesia

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement