LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Strange Symptoms, throat closing up.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strange Symptoms, throat closing up.
berneck1
Member # 24803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for berneck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I occasionally get the feeling that my throat is closing up, and I have a very difficult time swallowing. It's hard to explain, but it almost feels as if I forgot how to swallow. I have to really think about swallowing... Today, it has been worse than usual... The funny thing is I don't feel like it is an allergic reaction, because it just comes and goes at different times, and i can't associate it with anything external...

Does anybody else get this symptom? While it's very unnerving, it always eventually goes away. Is there anything I should be watching out for?

--------------------
Lyme IgM: +18, +31, +34, +39, ++41, +58 and 83-93 is Indeterminate.

Currently pulsing IV Flagyl and Rocephin. As well as daily Mepron and Azithromycin.

Posts: 34 | From New York, NY | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure it's not an allergy to one of your meds? I'd ask your LLMD.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have gotten these and sometimes still do. I think it is do do esophegeal spasms that actually are occurring throughout the G.I. track where a lot of these infections are hibernating.

There is something called "Bells Palsy of The gut" There is an article written by Virginia Sherr an LLMD psychiatrist about it. You can type her name into the search bar and it will come up.

I have seen others post about the same symptoms in the past. I don't think it's an allergic reaction either.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read many, many posts where people have said they have forgotten how to swallow. So, it is a common lyme symptom.

Here is an old thread:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91297?

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gatorade girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gatorade girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This happened to me. I had spasms in all of my digestive system . Right from the esophagus down to the rectum. It has gotten better with Lyme treatment. I would mention it to the llmd in case it is an allergy. It could very well be what I had.

--------------------
gatorade girl

"I still have Mt.Everest to climb, but I have traveled across the world and arrived at the mountain".

Posts: 633 | From baltimore | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joyful
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joyful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have really bad reflux and having a hard time swallowing was my first symptom. Have you been checked for reflux?

--------------------
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...
Psalm 139:14
http://confessionsofalymie.wordpress.com/

Posts: 113 | From down South | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erikjh1972
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erikjh1972     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about anxiety?

--------------------
3 months Doxy
8 months of Tetra
7 months of Biaxin/Plaq.
4 months Doxy/Biaxin/Plaq.
5 months Biaxin/Plaq.
Back on Doxy/Biax/Plaq
On the road to recovery.
Trying to make people Lyme Aware.......

Posts: 289 | From R.I. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like it could be a lyme symptom, but that could also indicate an allergy to a med. You are not having trouble breathing, though, right?

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
berneck1
Member # 24803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for berneck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, breathing seems fine.

--------------------

Currently pulsing IV Flagyl and Rocephin. As well as daily Mepron and Azithromycin.

Posts: 34 | From New York, NY | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As others have mentioned, sounds like CNS issues to me.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dali
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With my last Lyme relapse in Dec. 2009, I began to have a hard time swallowing, so much so that I only drank a few sips of protein shake for a few weeks. My ability to swallow came back as the "attack" subsided. I still have some muscle spasms in the throat area but I can swallow..
stay on your treatment...I never had "paralysis" or was unable to swallow..it was just...difficult..now good [Smile]
best of luck, will get better, drink nutritious shakes if you have to

Posts: 172 | From ohio | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thought to add to the above: H. Pylori. Have you been tested? That was one of my mother's symptoms.

But it's also a common Lyme symptom, so that's the most likely answer.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had this symptom on and off since I became ill 4 years ago. For me I believe it is caused by lyme.

I think it starts out as either an irritated cranial nerve or perhaps inflammation in the throat. I think because it can cause you to feel anxious that the anxiety can magnify the feeling of the throat closing up.

When I have it my throat starts out feeling tight or even like a slight sore throat is coming on. Something just doesn't feel right. Then at its worse it feels like it is closing up and sometimes it feels harder to swallow.

After 2 years of treatment, I have this symptom less often.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A symptom often associated with babesia.

Check with your LLMD in case of allergic reaction.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
berneck1
Member # 24803

I'm pretty certain it not an allergic reaction. It comes and goes, and I'm not changing anything. I've learned to deal with it, in that I don't go into a full panic. The good thing is, I've never had trouble breathing from it, so it's pretty much isolated in the throat. I find if I'm able to stay calm and just have some water on hand it eventually subsides...

--------------------

Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had that and it went away with babesia treatment.

I would feel like I was unable to swallow.

Throat would feel tight.

Immediate panic.

It happened once when driving my two young children in the car.

I thought I was going to pass out or get into an accident.

It is a frightening feeling.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been tested for H-pylori, have asked my LLMD about Bells Palsy of the gut and he didn't feel that it was my problem.

I don't have problems swallowing food or drink, but rather, my problem is trying to swallow the normal saliva that everyone needs to swallow. I have to put my head at odd angles, or squeeze my throat from the outside and other weird things.

I am seeing an ENT guy next week for ear problems and wondered if I should mention it. Seems to me that they may be related.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KalynntheLymie
Member # 29457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KalynntheLymie   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG! This is so strange because something told me to look on the LymeNet board before I did an internet search on this!!

These past two to three weeks I have been having a hard time swallowing because it feels like my throat is tight ( especially noticeable when I take a drink).

I don't believe it is an allergic reaction, but I will mention that I tested positive for Babesia, and I may even have Lyme too.

I noticed someone mentioned Babesia or Lyme can cause this and I will be very interested to know if this is really true. I have an appointment with my LLMD next Monday, so I will run it by him.

I will let everyone know how it goes!

~Kalynn~

Posts: 18 | From Connecticut | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know exactly what you are going through. This has been one of my most annoying symptoms. My throat would feel just like it was closing up. On a good day it just felt really tight.

After 2 years of treatment it started to improve. I only treated Babesia for a couple of months, so for me it would seem that it is a lyme symptom or maybe bart.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been in treatment for 5 years; don't know how long I was infected before diagnosis.

This symptom is new to me. Most of the other symptoms I have are ones that I've had all along, they just worsen when herxing.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My throat closed up in the last hour or so of sleep, just before waking...
exactly 4 weeks to the Day after 2 adult male deer ticks got engorged on my belly overnight.
I almost passed out from asphixiation.
The swelling went down as I wakened further, thank GOd (&, Boy, did I awaken!!) and I was able to breathe O.K again.

This never re-occurred that I recall, though plenty of other symptoms showed their face in the months ahead.

My & my N.D.'s theory is that the area around the thyroid (in the throat, just below the adam's apple & in front of the windpipe) was inflammed from my early-AM immune response to B.B. infiltrating the thyroid.

Not sure if this is your issue. Just thought I'd mention it.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Gael. It is spasms for me too. If I take a xanax during an episode it calms right down. It stems from my upper back muscles they are really tight. If I massage them too hard the spasms start.
Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badtick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Badtick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had it on and off for over 10 years. I think it is spasms caused by irritation somewhere in the nervous system or upper GI tract. It resolved after babesia tx but, alas, it has come back after becoming re-infected.
Posts: 184 | From CT | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this on and off for over 24 years. It has gotten better after years of treating lyme.

Mine is caused by imflammation. If I take an Aleve it will usually clear it right up.

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine had that....treatment for HHV-6 and enteroviruses solved the problem for her.

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement