LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I am done with this diet garbage! Done!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I am done with this diet garbage! Done!
richedie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sick of being in pain and constantly suffering. I want some pleasure back. I am not saying refined carbs or sugar...but this morning I had pancakes made from oats, banana, almond milk, Cinnamon, and berries. Tonight I am treating myself to a Peace a Pizza Whole Wheat large pizza! I want some pleasure and comfort food!

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You can drop the word "diet" and feel some freedom moving on to a plan to eat flavorful food. It's flavor you want and you can get that in good ways. Flavor is good. Include all sorts of spices, garden herbs, & nut oils.

When I crave pizza, I find it's the tomato paste and spices that I really want. This works for me:

My dinner tonight will be chicken in a sauce of saut�ed onions, garlic, a very mild (but somehow amazingly rich) chili powder, tomato paste and Italian herbs - over a little BLACK rice. Black Olives & a drizzle of Olive oil to top it off.

A heaping serving of red chard with a dash of nutmeg and a sliced fresh red bell pepper - and then berries to follow.

Zucchini is good with any tomato dish but you'd still need your leafy greens, too.

If you can saut� an onion, you are half the way there. That makes anyone a gourmet chef. Here are some good cookbooks that you might enjoy - adaptations can be easily made with these.

==================

www.christinacooks.com

CHRISTINA COOKS - Natural health advocate/ chef, Christina Pirello offers her comprehensive guide to living the well life.

Vegan, with a Mediterranean flair. Organic.

She was dx with terminal leukemia in her mid-twenties. Doctors said there was nothing more they could do. Among other things, she learned about complementary medicine and she learned how to cook whole foods. She recovered her health and is now a chef and professor of culinary arts.

She has program on the PBS network "Create" a couple times week. Check your PBS schedule.

To adapt: in the rare dishes where she uses wheat flour, it can just be left out for a fruit medley, etc. Brown Rice Pasta can be substituted (Tinkyada or Trader Joe's).

Regarding her use of brown rice syrup, just leave it out and add a touch of stevia at the end. Although she is vegan, all her dishes can be served with some lean meat or fish. But they also work well for meals where you used plant-based protein.

==================

www.rickbayless.com

Rick Bayless is a very good chef for MEXICAN meals that are healthy. These are heavy on vegetables.

====================

http://www.spoonfulofginger.com/

Spoonful of Ginger site

Books: http://www.spoonfulofginger.com/pages/books.php

A SPOONFUL OF GINGER (1999)

From Nina Simonds, the best-selling authority on Asian cooking, comes a ground-breaking cookbook based on the Asian philosophy of food as health-giving. The 200 delectable recipes she offers you not only taste superb but also have specific healing . . . .

. . . With an emphasis on the health-giving properties of herbs and spices, this book gives the latest scientific research as well as references to their tonic properties according to Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda, the traditional Indian philosophy of medicine. . . .

You can find this at Amazon, too.

=========================

http://www.simply-natural.biz/Cure-Is-In-The-Kitchen.php

THE CURE IS IN THE KITCHEN, by Sherry A. Rogers M.D., is the first book to ever spell out in detail what all those people ate day to day who cleared their incurable diseases . . .

==========================

http://www.ecookbooks.com/p-4293-from-curries-to-kebabs.aspx

FROM CURRIES TO KEBABS - RECIPES FROM THE INDIAN SPICE TRAIL - by: Jaffrey, Madhur

==========================

Mediterranean Diet (minus the wheat and the wine) is also good. Quinoa and pomegranate juice can be substituted.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been eating most anything I want lately, except for pure sugar,(only occassionally); and I don't feel one bit worse.

My body needs carbs and I feel good eating ALL of them.

I guess I don't have a yeast issue!

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I cook a lot.....but I need a cheat day! I am a whole food junky! It is all I eat! I just need a big cheat day to stay sane! I am chowing down on pizza right now and a huge garden salad with lots of onions and garlic!

Back to whole foods tomorrow. I find cutting out grains I look like I have cancer I am so thin.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You don't need to cut out grains. I think that is huge mistake people make. Whole grains offer some good nutrients and can help modulate blood glucose for longer times than with just vegetables alone.

There are many varieties of brown, red and black rices. Wild rice, too (really a grass). In addition to regular quinoa, red quinoa is totally different experience.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwick25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, now I am totally craving pizza...lol!

Should we be avoiding eggs/egg whites?

Posts: 711 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler, thanks for the great cookbook links. There are some sample recipes on the Rick Bayless website that sound so good and simple (without a million ingredients). I love ethnic food!

If anyone else has any favorite easy ethnic food recipes/websites please pass them on to me [Smile]

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eat lots of spicey foods. They fight candida. When I eat pizza, I always put garlic, onion and red pepper on it. If you like Indian food, it also is loaded with antifungal and antibacterial spices and is delicious. Cinnamon is also antifungal so use lots of it.

I got disgusted yrs ago when I was fighting candida from the effects of abx that I just needed to eat what I liked because like you I was very thin and loosing my appetite.

We need nourishment to fight this disease. When I incorporated spices into my diet it made a big difference and I was able to eat foods that I enjoyed while fighting the yeast as well.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jwick25:

Should we be avoiding eggs/egg whites? [/QB]

Not in MY humble opinion! Eggs have kept me alive all these years!!

Keebler.. you were making me hungry and I just ATE!!

Yeah, the pizza sounds good too. [bonk]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

"My dinner tonight will be chicken in a sauce of saut�ed onions, garlic, a very mild (but somehow amazingly rich) chili powder, tomato paste and Italian herbs - over a little BLACK rice. Black Olives & a drizzle of Olive oil to top it off."

Keebler...this sounds good and I make something similar but I worry about the rice. I know it is whole but I am scared now about all carbs. Today is a cheat day but I might go meat, veggies, nuts, seeds, etc and that's it for a while.

Please understand I am a huge whole foods guy, lots of quinoa, red quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat, whole oats, etc....but I NEED PIZZA tonight! I ate 3/4 of the pie and now I am going to lay down and reminisce.

LOVE spicey food, love Indian food! Love thai! I eat it all.

Been eating lots of raw garlic and onions. I also do lots of raw ginger in my tea for pain but it does nothing.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

NancyJ2
Member # 25084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyJ2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I want pizza too!
Posts: 26 | From New England | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love pizza! It is one of my weaknesses.

I just ate a home cooked meal, that I cooked. Baked chicken with rice....not brown....(oops), and beans; and tomatoes that I grew.

I think eggs are great....protein.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not just declare a certain night every week as pizza night ?
Locally I like the "Great White" ! NO tomato sauce (that weird guy does weird stuff again [Big Grin] ), 4 different cheeses, white sauce, chicken, broccoli, garlic YEOW [woohoo]
[Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't give up carbs. Your "splurge" sounds normal to me. And your diet sounds great!!

IMO, it's the processed garbage that's junk.

I'm with you massman, white sauce. We'll have it with bacon and onions and call it "pizza ala carbonara"!!

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm drooling...and drooling...and drooling... _________________________________________________
DISCLAIMER: I make no money or get any pizza or wraps for recommending the foods I L O V E !
Oh Well (am I on auto pilot too much ? )

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Whoever asked about EGGS. Eggs are one of the most perfect foods. Enjoy them. Real eggs, all of them.

richedie - fear no good complex carb. (And I add, gluten-free, for me).

check out BLACK Forbidden Chinese Rice here - in moderation, it's a fantastic food. We need complex carbs to live.

See the nutrition label.

www.LotusFoods.com
=

bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cheat once a week for my sanity.

Last week I had pizza (funny how that is something we all crave) and I had REAL ICE CREAM. I loved every minute of it.

Then I loaded up on Nystatin and grapefruit seed extract and oil of oregano as a precaution.

No problems yet.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! The joy of eating something yummy when your appetite is gone and your body is berserk! I'm plotting a trip to a mexican restaurant if I can just get someone to drive me there!!!

The sanity NEEDS to be maintained and if pizza is what it takes--so be it!!! [lick]

Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't given up carbs much at all. I've pretty much kept the same diet. I drink coffee in the morning-with cream and sugar and drink my coke. I am a caffiene addict and not afraid to admit it. If I don't have it I get severe headaches. And knock on wood the only yeast issue I had was when I was put on penicillin by mouth for a tooth infection.

I've tried to cut out carbs when i can-I eat wheat when I can and if we are having something like hot dogs or hamburgers I eat it without the bun. If I can cut out the carbs easily I do.

I'm going to go on South Beach next week once I get back from out of town but that is to lose some of this weight I've gained (25lbs-that I lost prior to DX) since starting treatment. I can't take it anymore I need to lose this weight.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Consuelachacha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Consuelachacha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OKAY!!!! ENOUGH OF THIS FOOD TALK!!!!

Let's all meet at a mutual place in the world and PIG OUT!!

I love you all.

--------------------
Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired!!

Posts: 153 | From St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear C,
I hope you'll become comfortable enough with the group to tell us how you really feel... [Big Grin]
Guess she's no longer a "newbie" in some instances! [lick]

If i go off diet, it is for one of three things:
Pizza about 3x/year,
Dark chocolate in some troubling week-long stint,
Or real, top-quality creamy chocolate ice cream with only four ingredients: Cream, milk, cocoa & sugar.

I had a very healthy breakfast, so i could keyboard the above with detachment. [Wink]
I had oat bran w/ pecans, ground flaxseed, rice milk, cinnamon & blueberries plus two soft-boiled eggs. That oughta quiet the Doxy...

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwick25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm managing a flare up and am in that stage where I am losing weight and rarely hungry.

As soon as I feel my appetite coming back a bit, I try to eat more (and healthy) to make up for the lack of nutrition.

I think pizza with lots of garlic will be #1 on my list once I feel hungrier. [Smile]

Posts: 711 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I never considered dark chocolate with very little sugar to be off the diet.

Now, I know Domino's Pizza is off the diet (anyone tried their new crust?? Yum), but I don't consider the little flat breads I buy at Whole Foods with some olive oil brushed on, garlic, organic mozzarella, whatever toppings I want (the other day it was pesto, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers), then topped with herbs to be off the diet.

Again, it's the whole foods vs. processed foods.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Dark chocolate is fine! Eat up! As long as it is low, low sugar! In fact Trader Joe's has one with no sugar, just spices and it is great!

Well, I ate almost the entire Whole Wheat pizza with pepperoni myself! Needless to say my stomach hurt, drank some coconut kefir, took probiotics and I went to bed early.

This morning was a bowl of creamed quinoa flakes with sea salt and unsweetened almond milk, some strawberries, a grapefruit, a hemp protein/flaxmeal shake and one cup of my home roasted coffee. I try to keep it to one cup of coffe a day except weekends I will have two. Caffein can destroy your adrenals and cause lots of immune system issues.

When it comes to cheating, it better be good food! When it comes to pizza, it has to be one of the local near Philly or Jersey shore mom and pop pizza shops. I hate the chain pizza shops except our local Peace a Pizza. [Smile]

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

The problem for me with the local pizza shops is SIX KIDS!!! It's almost $50 to feed them at a great pizza place, and about $15 to feed them Dominos .... and with Dominos new crust slathered with garlic butter and their new sauces, it's much better than it used to be!!

--------------------

Jessica
Member # 23405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I discovered goat milk ice cream in Whole Foods. It is much easier on the body and it tastes great!
Posts: 19 | From Rockville, MD | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

I like the traditional Philly, Jersey shore, and New York style pizzas. We have a little mom and pop shop near my parents house that does it right and the pizza for a large is $7.00!

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

momofthree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momofthree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor doesn't make any dietary restrictions. My old Dr., Dr. C, only said no to sugar and white flours. Great difference from Dr. M. in WI. It really helps while making sure my young adult kids are getting enough in to help flush out what is bad. The restricted diet left me constantly badgering my kids to eat and now I don't worry.

** edited to remove doctor's city **

[ 06-24-2010, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: sixgoofykids ]

Posts: 303 | From green bay, wi | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trigal2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trigal2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had chocolate cheescake last night - everyone one of my food allergies plus all that sugar.

It has been almost a year and boy was it good.

Woke up this morning feeling normal and as good as I did before I ate it.

So...IMHO once in a blue moon - no real harm done.

Posts: 376 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Low carb has been physically great for me. The only issue is, when I get emotional, I really want to cheat.

Keeping carbs low can fight systemic inflammation, which underlies a lot of diseases and which Lyme tends to increase. It can also keep your blood sugar even if you have diabetes or insulin resistance, and is good for fighting candida. It also has helped me lose weight that I wanted to lose.

It can be useful to avoid grains in order to keep your daily carbs low for the above reasons, and also if you wish to eat gluten free, as that will by definition avoid the grains that have gluten.

If you do eat grains, then go for the whole ones because they raise your blood sugar more slowly and have fiber for good digestion.

I don't argue that everybody should avoid grains, but it has been very helpful for me in several ways to eat a lot less bread, rice, and pasta, and a lot more protein and vegetables.

Except for the fact that I LOVE carbs, and now I want some pizza, after reading this thread. [Smile]

The Aztecs used to drink chocolate with hot pepper and cinnamon. I think the Spaniards had a brilliant idea when they put sugar in it instead.

I still eat dark chocolate with sugar in it, but usually organic with high chocolate percentage and only an ounce in a day. If I don't eat pizza, then I can afford the carbs, haha.

We have to keep our morale up too. If we get depressed, we'll stop taking care of ourselves. I think it's better to occasionally cheat on your diet or make a mistake like forgetting to take a dose of meds than to push yourself to the point where you're ready to chuck it all in and give up.

When I finally accepted that I couldn't eat a lot of favorite foods any more, I cheered up considerably after I found recipes for biscuits, chocolate cake and pizza crust made with almond flour (and stevia in the cake)--tastes good, and is actually good for my diet rather than just not too bad.

I even served the almond biscuits at Thanksgiving, and people who are not on a special diet wanted the recipe.

Maybe you can find some new recipes on whatever way of eating you're following, that will appeal to you enough that you will like them as much as some of your old favorites--things you would want to eat even if you could eat anything with no health concerns.

If not, then have a piece of pizza or whatever is calling your name, and go back to your healthy diet tomorrow.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

LightAttheEnd....keep in mind there is just as much research that shows eating animal products, hence meat, etc everyday can greatly contribute to systemic inflammation too. Conflicting info...so it is really up to the person. I feel like I am dying when I eat a low carb diet and can barely workout.

Actually my mother in law beat diabetes by following a whole grain all vegan diet and cutting out all meats, etc. It can work both ways!

Keep in mind, when I say eat grains I mean eat them in their natural state...potatoes, oat grouts, buckwheat grouts, etc....no bread at all! No flour.

Dark chocolate is heavenly with hot pepper and cinnamon.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my organic eggs!

Right now I'm cooking up some organic whole grain rice and I'm going to stir in some fried eggs. YUM!

Every morning I eat oatmeal with cinnamon on top.

Dinner is with the family - I do the best I can - we eat healthy overall, but there is the occassional (mostly homemade) pizza thrown in. I usually have a huge healthy salad first and that fills me up so I don't eat too much meat.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I should put this here for when everyone crashes!! [Wink] [Big Grin]

Candida diet and elimination:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html

http://www.wholeapproach.com/diet/

Lyme symptoms list compared with yeast symptoms
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021202.html

DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER PLEASE!! [lol]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joyful
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joyful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMMmmm...pizza!!
I have a really good pizza dough recipe if anyone wants it.

Sometimes we coat tortilla's with oil, toast them and then use them to make mexican pizza's (enchilada sauce, black beans, taco meat, cheese, tomatoes and sometimes lettuce. top with sour cream after baking [Smile] Oh man. I just might have to make those for dinner tonight.

--------------------
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...
Psalm 139:14
http://confessionsofalymie.wordpress.com/

Posts: 113 | From down South | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can make pizza at home with whole wheat flat bread, which looks like a pita without a pocket. Round, about the right size for one person. Put tomato sauce and whatever herbs you want, green pepper, mushroom, top with mozzarella cheese.

So, this is not going to raise your blood sugar as much as regular restaurant pizza.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

We use flatbreads all the time. They are good. We use olive oil and garlic instead of tomato sauce.

--------------------

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pizza tonight for me...It's all your fault richedie!!!

Thanks [Smile]

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

I think if you are on abx and fighting thes infections, it is wise to avoid all flours! Essentially avoid anything that is not a whole intact grain. Flour is too processed and refined....even whole wheat. My pizza cheat...was just a cheat...not a habbit. [Smile]

I keep trying gluten free but never notice a difference one way or another. Dairy and sugar are easy for me to avoid. I have my coffee with coconut creamer.

What did I eat today?

Creamed quinoa with almond milk
one cup of coffee
berries
pineapple
green apple
hemp protein and flax
nuts/seeds
almond butter
green tea
red potato, pinto bean, brocolli, green bean, garlic and tomato dish.
gluten free steel cut oats
large green salad
avocado
chicken, onion, green pepper, and tomato sause dish.
Chai tea
coconut kefir
meds
supplements

This is rather low on the calories considering how I used to eat before Lyme. Bodybuilding and being involved in lots of activities and having a naturally fast metabolism has always allowed me to consume large quantities of food.

[ 06-24-2010, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: richedie ]

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gluten free diet has helped my joint pain a lot. I really resist doing this, but the few times I've tried to cheat, the pain comes galloping back.

I also try to be dairy and sugar free, but for me, that's tough. I love goat gouda cheese but really struggle with goat yogurt.

Now, i'm battling yeast, so I'm taking nystatin and at least trying to pay attention to my diet.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Wow, you're good, Richedie!! I wish I were as good as you but I'm not. I just have to feed too many people to be that good.

I actually only eat gluten a couple times per week, usually in the form of these pizzas.

I also eat a lot of fermented foods. Honestly, my gut couldn't take all you eat .... nuts, seeds, fruits and veggies don't really digest. I don't blame it on Lyme .... my family has a history of digestive troubles and the two years of abx did me no favors in that regard. It's getting better ....

--------------------

richedie
Member # 14689

I did it again...

Today I went to my local coffe shop and had a Granita(Frappaccino). [bonk] [Frown]

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Rather than avoid, adapt. Identify the flavors and elements of what you enjoy. Then . . . just adapt. It can take a while to figure aout a full menu of culinary delights (and how to adapt your orders in coffee shops or restaurants) but I get all the flavors in ways that don't knock me over the head.

At home I just put some organic decaf freeze dried coffee crystals in a little bit of almond milk with stevia. Stir and then fill up with more almond milk. If you want it icy, mix in a blender with ice cubes.

You can do the basic same thing when you are out and about. Just carry stevia packets with you.

SweetLeaf is the best stevia for packets.

I also just have almond milk with vanilla extract, nutmeg and stevia. It's very nice, indeed. If you don't want it in a blender, whipped (with or without ice), you can put in a shaker and puff it up.

Those added "flavors" (sugar syrups) in coffee shops are just loaded with sugar. Instead, get to love cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. Go for spices or ground dried fruits/nuts.

Go to the grocery and get EXTRACTS for hazelnut, almond, etc. take one of those to the coffee shop with you and ask them to add to your coffee. Or you can add that in and stir yourself.

Whatever your favorite syrup is, find the corresponding EXTRACT. If not from your grocery, you can probably order on line.

=============================

http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/frappuccino-blended-beverages

STARBUCKS The NEW however-you-want-it frappuccino blended beverage:

Want more coffee, fewer calories, different milk, more flavors, extra toppings?

Whatever will make your little indulgence absolutely perfect is likely possible, because now there are thousands of ways to customize your icy treat. That's why it's so often referred to as the ``however-you-want-it Frappuccino� blended beverage''.

------------

http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/frappuccino-blended-beverages/mocha-frappuccino-light-blended-coffee

Mocha Light Frappuccino

Lists calories, fats, sugars, protein

-- Since sugars top out at a whopping 29 grams from this ``light'' drink, you could ask for no sugar, and hand them a packet of stevia to blend in with your drink.

For comparison, one ounce of 85% Green and Blacks Organic Dark Chocolate has about 6 grams of sugar.

======================

http://www.internaturalfoods.com/MountHagen/MountHagen.html

Mount Hagen Organic Instant Coffee - Organic Decaf Coffee

===============

http://www.sweetleaf.com/sweetleafbrselection

SweetLeaf Stevia selections

-----------

http://www.healthyshopping.com/stores/ProductCategory.asp?CId=190

SweetLeaf Liquid Stevia Flavors:

Apricot Nectar

Chocolate Raspberry
Cinnamon - New!

Dark Chocolate - New!
English Toffee

Grape - New!
Lemon

Peppermint - New!
Root Beer - New!

Valencia Orange
Vanilla Creme
-

[ 06-25-2010, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Andie333:
Gluten free diet has helped my joint pain a lot.

For me too! I have to be gluten free, but found that it took away that all-over body pain I used to have.

Hi Andie!! [hi]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

richedie
Member # 14689

For coffee, I go to good coffee shops that use real ingredients, no powder mixes! So, for a frappussino, they use realy espresso shots, milk, sugar if desires(I say no) and ice blended!

I do the same at home with almond milk. I wasn't referring to the 'fake' Starbuck's Frap's! [Smile]

On the gluten issues....how do you all avoid ALL gluten? I mean just the other day I was making vegetable soup and used two cartons of broth. Then a friend told me the broth could contain gluten. So how the heck do you avoid ALL of it!?
I am NOT gluten intollerant but tests show I am sensitive to it. In fact, the doctor said once I am finished with these infections, I should be able to eat all the gluten I want. I was told it might be wise to avoid for now.

On the whole diet thing, I find it near impossible to follow Dr. B's guidelines perfectly. I mean no starchy veggies at all, no grains at all, nothing? I can't maintain normal weight or stay sane without some! I mean this morning I had red skin potatoes with onions and scrambled eggs. Yesterday I had a bowl of gluten free steel cut oats.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Yes, some broths have gluten. Since I have to send someone to do my shopping they have come back more than once with the wrong brand - one that contains barley malt, hence, gluten.

Gluten is in: all products from wheat, spelt, rye and barley. Some have trouble with the different kind of gluten in oats but, partly because oats are often contaminated with wheat - unless processed in a dedicated gluten-free processing facility.

You just learn to know what brands to buy for the few things that are packaged and then always read the label and be in touch with the company in case they change things.

It's best to stick to companies that have dedicated gluten-free products.

The only three things I can think of that I buy packaged would be broth, hummus and tofu. Silken tofu may contain gluten.

If eating out, many rices contain added gluten in their flavor additives (but they also often contain MSG, which is very bad news). You have to call ahead and talk with the manager about that.

You can have WHOLE grains. Grains are full of nutrients and help us keep blood sugar stable - and we need those. Go for the Red and Black Rices, Red Quinoa or Regular Quinoa, Wild Rice. These are much better regarding the glycemic index.

You can have nearly any vegetable if it's balanced with other foods. A potato has great potassium. If in a stew, it can be fine regarding glycemic balance. Squashes are packed full of nutrients. Just eat a small amount, as part of a full meal, with lots of green veggies, protein and fat and maybe a little whole grain like Black Chinese Forbidden Rice.

www.LotusFoods.com - see the Red and Black Rices

Lundberg Farms also has very dark rices like Japonica. Compare the nutrition labels.

QUINOA: www.quinoa.net

--------
Crackers: Mary's Gone Crackers are whole grain, organic and gluten free. Low glycemic index, too. www.marysgonecrackers.com (I would avoid the cookies, though . . . just look at the crackers).

------------

http://www.celiacsolution.com/hidden-gluten.html

Hidden Sources Of Gluten
-

[ 07-01-2010, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement