LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has anyone had good results from Flagyl?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone had good results from Flagyl?
Dania84
Member # 26278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dania84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started taking Flagyl. So far so good. I have read so many horror stories about it and I just want to hear something good about it for once. Anyone have good results with Flagyl??

--------------------
[IM]

Posts: 64 | From Calgary | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It got rid of lyme for me. Took it combined with amoxicillin and probinecid.

Flagyl caused the only herx I ever had. It kills the cyst form of lyme.

Squeeze fresh lemon juice into water and drink that every day to lessen your herx. Lemons are a natural cleanser per my now famous lyme doctor.

Flagyl did not cause me any side effects. Wish you the best!

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband made great improvement on Flagyl. No side effects.
Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how long did you herx? how long were you on flagyl? dosage?

i sure could use some specifications.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG....where'd you buy that winning lotto ticket TF? lol. ONLY herx with all those hardcore drugs you took? You're 1 in a million. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by TF:
It got rid of lyme for me. Took it combined with amoxicillin and probinecid.

Flagyl caused the "only herx" I ever had. It kills the cyst form of lyme.

Squeeze fresh lemon juice into water and drink that every day to lessen your herx. Lemons are a natural cleanser per my now famous lyme doctor.

Flagyl did not cause me any side effects. Wish you the best!

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was lucky in love and lucky in herxing, but I was very unlucky in a lot of other things.

I had lyme and co for 10 years before being diagnosed. The last 5 years were bad. I say lyme stole 5 years of my life.

And, I had a lot of bad days during lyme treatment, but they weren't herxes. Maybe the strict diet I followed and drinking nothing but lemon water all day long during my entire 1 year of Burrascano type lyme treatment did this for me.

I was very obedient to do every single thing the lyme doc told me to do.

My herx lasted a week. The first three days were bad and the next 4 days were half bad.

My doc said my previous lyme treatment (no cyst buster for 2 years) had converted all my lyme into the cyst form.

To attack it, he had me stop meds for 1 week so the cysts would come out. Then, I took the amoxi, flagyl and probinecid to hit it in both spirochete and cyst form. A real ambush.

I took 250 mg of flagyl 3 times per day.

The doc warned me to spend the week off meds drinking the lemon water and on the special lyme diet and also taking diflucan to be sure I didn't have any yeast.

All this helped me have a mild herx, I am sure.

He was a great doctor.

It has now been over 5 years since I completed my treatment and I am still symptom free, enjoying my life.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

randi, I took flagyl for 60 days continuously.
lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl helped me get well and truly made a significant difference, although the first few days were a bit tough on my stomach.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertlily
Member # 13894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertlily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience with Flagyl and Tindamax has not been good at all...constant migraines and other neuro symptoms, huge fatigue and pain. To the point at times I would have to stop because I just could not tolerate it anymore.

I always wonder, why is it that some people seem to do so well on it, while others have such terrible reactions?

I'm also on IV Rocephin and have been for 3 yrs (had to start at 50mg a day and work up very slowly, am now at 1650mg/day).

--------------------
Susan

Posts: 80 | From Queen Creek, AZ | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read that age works against us with flagyl
as people over 50 have a much harder time with
neuropathy side effect than people under 40, or 30 etc. Anyone in their 30's here have a hard time with it?

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe something to that. I'm over 50 and had death fatigue from hell last time I took flagyl.
Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 64 and Flagyl has been very kind to me

Elaine

Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both Flagyl and Tindamax make me herx like a banchi, but have helped me lots.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lenire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lenire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IS it effective on its own?
Posts: 106 | From Wales, RI usa | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lenire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lenire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IS it effective on its own?
Posts: 106 | From Wales, RI usa | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lenire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26766

Does anyone notice that it keeps you awake or makes you sleepy?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think it gives me neuropathy and sleep issues.

i also noticed a huge increase in symptoms so maybe it's herx.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 33 and I felt like I was going to die on the 3 days of flagyl that I took. I never want to take that drug again.
Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this question was aimed at the good results, like alot of us had.. not dwelling on the bad ones.. not every drug works for everyone!

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lenire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26766

I dont notice much difference when i take it, except my anxiety gets out of hand, but honestly its hard to tell if thats the drug or not.
Lenire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26766

And the other question i had was; In theory if you can tolerate this med, can it treat you on its own, even a little, in theory?
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brorson and Brorson's research showed it mainly works on spherocystic spirochetes, and is one of a smaller list (of meds) that very readily
crosses the BBB - blood brain barrier. It may even have some benefit against Babesia (not proven) and Bartonella - by my inference
from anecdotes on the LymeMD Blog. By itself though It should not completely clear Lyme/Borrelia (or any other tick borne disease).

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you take flagyl with zith and mepron?

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement