LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Infectious Disease Doc Rips me to shreds.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Infectious Disease Doc Rips me to shreds.
mcg08002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24617

Icon 12 posted      Profile for mcg08002   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted earlier yesterday that the infectious disease doc was going to give me a PICC line. My husband and I went in today to see her. I was so excited to get this PICC line because my LLND says it would just be a good way to kick start my treatment. My LLND said after the picc line to not EVER see my Infectious disease doc again.

I have these new stretch mark looking things on my side and legs, and showed my infectious disease doc. I have all the Bartonella symptoms with it also. The shin splints is the worse with the heel and sole pain.

She looked at them. Then She freaked on me. Saying you can only have Bartonella if you have HIV. That I do not have Bartonella! Then Started to go off how she went to Yale. How I need to start reading research from Harvard and Yale. Earlier she had said That I am acting like a Lyme Activist.

She then said I DID have a postive lyme test, but she said she cured me with Doxy! That my Lyme and Ehrlichia should be gone. That basically ALL the pain I still have that I am making up.

My husband was just starring at me. He became angry with the doctor for treating me like that. The infectious disease doc told me the IV wouldnt work any way and that she just offered it to me so she wouldnt be sued.

She says I need to go back to the Internist doc and neurologist doc, and that I NO LONGER have an infectious disease. I then told her that I am negitive for every possible test there is for MS and Lupus! Then she makes it sound like she doesn't want to waste her time on me anymore.

My husband left the office. I ended balling in the car on the way home. My husband is still angry at that doc. I have never heard my husband so angry like that. My husband just wants me better so we can eventually start a family.

I am still upset. I am scared of the oral treatment from the LLND. I know others that see her take it, but I am so scared. People were telling me the LLND's tend to over dose their patients. I don't want to believe it. I just want to get better.

Hopefully I can see her next month and get started. I think i might just her an email.

I have been sick for just almost a year, I just want to be normal again.

[ 06-29-2010, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: mcg08002 ]

--------------------
Stephanie, University Student.

Ehrlichia [POSITIVE]
IGG/IGM AB [H] 1.49
indexLyme AB interp. EIA [A] POSITIVE
IGG P93 AB [PRESENT]
IGG P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P23 AB [PRESENT]
Lyme IGM WB interp. [A] [PRESENT]

Posts: 145 | From Idaho | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry you went through this, too ... unfortunately, most of us have. I'm glad you have a good practitioner to see.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry you had to endure that, mcg08002! No one should be treated like that!

I'm glad your husband was with you so you can deal with it together.

I also hope you get the help you need.

For me, it would be much more scary not to get treated and to never get better than to give treatment a try and have hope for recovery.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gatorade girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gatorade girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry about your experience. It is absolutely terrible. Make sure you take pictures of your rashes for the llmd. Feel better. Take care. Sending get well hugs.

--------------------
gatorade girl

"I still have Mt.Everest to climb, but I have traveled across the world and arrived at the mountain".

Posts: 633 | From baltimore | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you didn't pay her. The b___h is nuts...

That PhD in Alabama (Amy Bishop) went to Harvard. She killed her own brother + 3 colleagues.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/us/17bishop.html

Just because they may be Ivy League educated, doesn't mean they know more than the rest of us.

Sorry for your horror story.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dali
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been there. Many doctor's do not understand that they are in the HEALING profession. Many are not healers.

It is emotionally difficult because one is vulnerable. You ARE correct, she is dangerously mistaken.

Thank goodness you have a good diagnosis and have found an LLMD. Keep moving forward, you are on the right track...you will get better!

In the future (way in the future) forgive the person, not the behavior. Staying as emotionally clear as possible is important to physical health and healing.

bless you, sorry about that.
you are still ahead of many others who never get diagnosed...

Posts: 172 | From ohio | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why we SO LOVE ID ducks! Oh yeah! That is so terrible you were treated that way. I do so hope your husband gave her a big piece of his mind!!!

You said, "I am scared of the oral treatment from the LLND. I know others that see her take it, but I am so scared. People were telling me the LLND's tend to over dose their patients. I don't want to believe it. I just want to get better."

Are you talking about an LLND or an LLMD?? I'm confused as to why you are afraid of being overdosed by one??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that you have had the typical response from an ID duck.

I'm sure she is implying that she was trained by the "experts" since Steere is from Yale.

Steere and his cronies are considered THE "experts". Don't know why since they don't treat chronic lyme and know nothing about it because they deny that it exists! Her stance that you are cured despite continuing symptoms is Steere all the way! I know people who have heard it directly from his mouth and who went on to suffer for 20 years with debilitating symptoms until they figured out he was wrong.

mcg wrote:
I am scared of the oral treatment from the LLND.

What is the treatment that you are afraid of?

mcg wrote:
People were telling me the LLND's tend to over dose their patients.

Do you know why they would say that? Most LLND's treat wholistically which would be the opposite of hitting it with brute force. The LLND's I've seen so far are not overly aggressive and tend to fall at the other end of the spectrum.

I hope you can get treatment soon.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really too bad! That doc is an embarrassment to the medical profession! She needs to learn humility and compassion and hang up the Ivy League arrogance and address her ignorance! Truly a crime! I am truly sorry that you had to experience that!!! Sending lots of hugs and good thoughts your way! Hang in there!

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry you had to endure that! Those experiences can be really scarring. Why couldn't the doctor have just expressed her opinion in a respectful, non-judgmental way? If she was a true professional, she would have!

I have had some ID docs express their stance in a respectful way, and others who have been judgmental. No reason to do the latter. She should be ashamed. She will only end up turning away patients by acting like that...which is for the better.

It is a good thing your husband believes and trusts YOU and was not swayed by what the doc said! You are lucky to have him in your corner. Make sure to give him and extra hug for standing by you and being supportive!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hoosiers51:
So sorry you had to endure that! Those experiences can be really scarring. Why couldn't the doctor have just expressed her opinion in a respectful, non-judgmental way? If she was a true professional, she would have!

-----------------

It is a good thing your husband believes and trusts YOU and was not swayed by what the doc said! You are lucky to have him in your corner. Make sure to give him and extra hug for standing by you and being supportive!

Ditto!!

I would sit down and write her a very "nice" letter once you cool down a bit. And send a carbon copy of your letter to the Medical Board of the state.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a toad!

I suggest writing your experience down and sending it to the hospital administrators where she works ... to your legislators and and then to the media.

NO one deserves that kind of garbage....

But many endure it because they have no choice.

Don't let her get away with it and be able to do this to someone else.

Ok?

Hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi mcg - I see you are from Idaho. I am well-acquainted with the LLNDs practicing in WA state. If your LLND is in WA, we should talk. PM me.

The way you were treated by that ID duck was condescending and rude! Just awful! There should be no place for that in the medical system.

As for the HIV reference, there are lots of papers coming from Harvard and Yale about this "emerging epidemic" seen in immunocompromised patients - Bartonella!

Gee, is there any other immunocompromised group we know, whose disease vector (ticks) even carries the Bartonella? Hmmm....who would that be?

You are smarter than your doctor, and not just about Lyme. Anyone who would treat a patient like that is an idiot. Stay away from her.

And PM me about your LLND. I am on multiple oral antibiotics through mine. I have never been overdosed.

Much love,
BoxerMom

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeXtu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeXtu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephanie - I too am sorry for all you have been through.

I agree with 17hens, NOT going through with treatment is what would scare me.

Once you start treatment and feel some results I think you will feel better and more hopeful about the future. I sure hope so anyway.

Makes me soooo glad I skipped my referral to the ID doc.

Take care.
Hang in there

Posts: 448 | From minnesota | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm actually thankful the first doc I was sent to, after testing positive for Lyme, was an infectious disease doc.

She was so incompetent and rude that it inspired me to search deeper into treatment options.

The next day I found this website, my LLMD, and the rest is history.

It's scary to think of where I'd be right now if not for the internet(mostly this website) and the ability to research and come to my own conclusions about certain health issues.

So for all of that... I thank you O'incompetent Infectious Disease Quack.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a good dose of this crap before I knew what was going on. An infectious disease doc ripping me and my character to pieces, yet offering no solution.

Such a delightful bunch. So sure they're right. So nasty and scared. Protecting themselves, their useless jobs, and their precious million dollar homes.

ID docs can go f*&K themselves and burn in hell for causing so much suffering!!!!! You don't have to be an activist to want to be helped, to be functional. I can't stand hearing one more story like this. It's THE LIVING END!!!!! [cussing] [cussing] [cussing] [cussing] [cussing]

Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Stephanie:

I'm sorry this has had to happen, unfortunately you are now experiencing the controvery in diagnosing and treating Lyme and its co infections.

What you describe is similar to what we experienced with my daughters pediatric infectious disease MD when he indicated her new and advancing symptoms were in her mind.

We knew it was not in her mind and you know its not in yours.

I recommend reading Dr. B's Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease and see LLMD.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Stephanie:

I'm sorry this has had to happen, unfortunately you are now experiencing the controvery in diagnosing and treating Lyme and its co infections.

What you describe is similar to what we experienced with my daughters pediatric infectious disease MD when he indicated her new and advancing symptoms were in her mind.

We knew it was not in her mind and you know its not in yours.

I recommend reading Dr. B's Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease and see LLMD.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erikjh1972
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erikjh1972     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yale...big deal, george bush went there too....anyway, sorry about your experience. i can relate, to a point. that was way harsh to be treated like that. sorry again, stay strong and focused!!!

erik

--------------------
3 months Doxy
8 months of Tetra
7 months of Biaxin/Plaq.
4 months Doxy/Biaxin/Plaq.
5 months Biaxin/Plaq.
Back on Doxy/Biax/Plaq
On the road to recovery.
Trying to make people Lyme Aware.......

Posts: 289 | From R.I. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mcg, I think we've all been in your shoes...

I saw a "best of" infectious disease doctor, because my traditional rheumatologist referred me, as he was convinced I had a systemic infection.

This infectious disease doctor basically laughed me out out his office when I said I needed more antibiotics. I didn't even mention lyme. I wasn't convinced I even had lyme at the time.

When I told him I was receiving IV clindamycin, he immediately wanted to know the name of the doctor that was prescribing it. I wouldn't tell him, so he left in a huff, with his doctor-in-training trailing behind him.

What a joke; aren't these the doctors that are supposed to cure infectious diseases??? I am grateful every day that there are doctors, willing to risk their livelihood and license to treat us!

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mcg08002:
My LLND said after the picc line to not EVER see my Infectious disease doc again.

Your LLND made a big mistake. An ILADS-trained LLND who is current with the latest Lyme disease treatment shouldn't have set you up for abuse.

Dear Stephanie,
I am sorry you have painful LD & several co-infections. [Frown]

SO sorry you were abused (verbally, emotionally, financially...) [group hug]

What an outrageous injustice! You are sick, with several parasitic infections, and the stupid duck threw a fit to detract from the fact that you're better educated in "her field."

That ID duck needs to be written up [tsk] to the State Med Board w/ copies to your insurance carrier and her medical society. Maybe your very dear hubby could make positive use of his justified anger? She definitely should not be paid for that "office visit!"

I'm wondering if your concern about a LLND "overdosing patients" may be a distortion of the fact that the majority of conventional Western med ducks in America do NOT provide adequate antibiotics to Lyme disease patients.

Have you heard of any people with LD that are now in remission after working with your LLND? Or were there actual cases of her "overdosing patients" so they required hosp, stomach pumped, or worse?

It could take 400 to 600 mg/day doxy (Rx WITH MEALS!) for 6 wks + an additional 3 mons beyond date all symptoms are gone to effectively put LD into remission.

The psycho ID duck who abused you prob only prescribed 100 mg doxy 2x/day, which is inadequate to claim "cured!" NO ONE has EVER "cured" chronic Lyme disease. The stealth spirochetes persist in tissue.

You can heal, achieve long-term remission, and be "normal again" without IV antibiotics. Many have been successful. Real shame your LLND set you back to that abusive ID duck at all.

Have you read Stephen Harrod Buhner's Healing Lyme?

I hope you have your copy of Dr. J Burrascano's Oct 2008 Treatment Guidelines (37 pgs) in a 3-hole binder where you can easily refer to it and make notes.

Are you already drinking 3 oz. coconut kefir daily and taking probiotics & supplements Burrascano suggests? They are SO helpful. With Lyme neuroborreliosis, you are immuno-compromised, so extra nutritional support is key to healing.

All best wishes to you newlyweds,
[kiss]
Smile

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcg08002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcg08002   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLND didn;t want me to go back to the infectious disease doc in the first place. She is the one who said I needed to understand the differences of the IDSA and the ILADS. I told her my picc would be payed for if I saw the ID, and she said that it could help kick start my treatment, but it would be my choice. She was very concerned about seeing the ID doc. She looked at me and knew I had bartonella. I was skeptical at first, but within a month I now have the stretch marks.... she was right.

The ID doc seemed at first she was willing to work with us, my LLND is very good. She is Dr. T from Montana. She has patients from all over the country and canada. The ID doc never has been rude until today. My husband said it WOULD eventually happen.... and he was right.

My LLND has a packet with all the treatments, and makes you read the differens between the IDSA and the ILADS before she starts to treat to make sure that one understands. She works with and stays in contact with DR H in Redwood City , CA

Someone here refereed me to the LLND, and she has been the only one who has understand. At the first appoitment she was already clincally diagnosing me with stuff. After telling her my symptoms she knew I had Ehrlichia... I was so shocked because i WAS POSTIVE for Ehirlichia!

She was trained by one of the guys in "Under Our Skin". She is a member of the ILADS.

I just cannot believe the ID Doc had a BI POLAR Epoisode Today!

--------------------

Ehrlichia [POSITIVE]
IGG/IGM AB [H] 1.49
IGG P93 AB [PRESENT]
IGG P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P23 AB [PRESENT]

Posts: 145 | From Idaho | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephanie - Is this the same ID doctor that diagnosed you back in March and made you get 2 spinal taps because she said your CDC positive test was a false positive?

You can probably get your insurance to cover IV treatment for the same amount of time with an LLMD as you would with an ID doc since you are CDC positive.

Despite the fact that the ID doctor told you your CDC positive was probably a false positive, most insurance companies will allow treatment with IV.

I hope you won't wait for treatment any longer trying to get help from an ID doctor. With few exceptions, they are all the same. Sounds like you have a good LLND lined up.

Hope you start feeling better soon.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcg08002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcg08002   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its fine! ;-) Just hard being married, both of us college students, and paying the costs of lyme disease! lol.

My husband is going to apply for Optomitry school in 4 more semester, and then I am going to go to school for 15 months to get my cosmetology license (Since my university suspended me for 12 months, even though its due to medical)
, and then finish my last couple semesters back at my university so i can teach k-3!

[ 06-29-2010, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: sixgoofykids ]

--------------------

Ehrlichia [POSITIVE]
IGG/IGM AB [H] 1.49
IGG P93 AB [PRESENT]
IGG P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P23 AB [PRESENT]

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still, better to get treatment now than remain sick and not be able to work in the future.

ID ducks say anything and everything to get us out of their offices.

I wonder, if we were up for it, if we could come up with instant comebacks.

"Yes, now that you mention it, I think I might also have HIV, but it isn't showing up in tests. So can I please have some abx?"

I actually got the ID duck I saw to prescribe some abx! Afterwards, we were going to send everyone to him for the kind of drug I got - ie, clindamycin - "cleenda, cleenda, go get your cleenda!"

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry you got abused like that. I have heard this same story way too many times.

I am thankful that I heard about it BEFORE my doctor tried to send me to an ID "doctor," so I could decline.

I am very happy to hear that your husband defended you. Some people have the opposite experience--that their family believes the ID duck, and makes things even worse.

I am glad that you have a caring and knowledgeable LLND to help you. Treatment is a physical and financial struggle for everyone, but you will probably feel more confident when you see that it is working.

Good luck to you.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troup Brazelton
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troup Brazelton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There isn't a rule against publishing the ID docs name. Others should be warned. She should be sued.
Posts: 219 | From Aubur,Al. USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am sorry to hear what you had to go through.

But I am wondering what one should do if you have an out-of-State llmd and need a picc line in. Who do you go to if not an infectious doctor locally?

I don't seem to be able to find an answer to this...I am even willing to take the abuse if one locally agrees to just put the damn thing in...

Posts: 822 | From midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote:
The infectious disease doc told me the IV wouldn't work any way and that she just offered it to me so she wouldn't be sued."

Just that right there shows she's not only a "duck" but a naive, paranoid Fool.
On the other hand, orals are a lot "safer & simpler" than a PICC line.
Not to say that it might not be the best route for you at this time, but a L.L.M.D. is the 1 who should be making that decision, not an ID doc.

Remember, if she'd given you the PICC line, she probably would've only given you 1 month of Rocephin, after which you liklely would have replapsed.
If IV's picked as the way to go, you typ. need 2 to a few months on IV, followed by an oral abx protocol for a few months more.
THEN maintainence therapy as suggested by a LLMD, or better yet, LLND.
ForGET you ever knew her & find a wiser Doc!

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Troup Brazelton:
There isn't a rule against publishing the ID docs name. Others should be warned. She should be sued.

Sounds good to me!!

(Could mcg be held libel for anything she said about this dr if the dr is now named?)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Q: Could mcg be held libel for anything she said about this dr if the dr is now named?

Not if it is true. The major legal test for Libel (or slander) is that has to be a falsehood. It's that simple. However, if a truth that can harm someone is spread simply out of malice, that is also a consideration.

I see neither lie nor malice here. Truth, shared with good intent, will hold up in any court in the land.

Still, it is is poor taste to name any ID doctor directly on the internet. It's enough to share details with the local lyme support group leaders so they know.

Also, remember that - legally, and even according to the medical code - the ID doctor has done nothing wrong. She is following standard medical procedure. Whether she's to lazy to learn more or question that very poor standard, she is simply following the rules of her precious IDSA and the ID doctors in her state that she has to answer to regarding all this.

We know it's bad policy and we have documents to show why. But, as she has chosen not to learn more, you simply have the right to find another doctor. We can't make them change religion nor can we force them to look outside their comfort zone. But we don't have to hire them.

Also to keep in mind, if the doctor sees what they interpret to be disparaging comments about them (even if based in truth), the patient's medical chart will have a big black mark on it forever.

I don't think it is wise to ever post a name on the web. It's just poor manners for a start. There are other ways to inform others - through the local lyme support groups. Education is the foundation.
-

[ 06-29-2010, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was sick for a decade before I got treatment. 9 months of orals gave me back my life. It's been 5 1/2 years now since I stopped antibiotic treatment.

Treatment with orals can be done safely. Many docs have success with oral Rifampin for Bartonella treatment. Not sure where you got the idea the IV was the only way to go. Especially if you're dealing with Bart.

Skip the ID 'duck' and the stress. Beg and borrow if you have to in order to stick with you LLND or find an LLMD, tell hubby school has to wait a bit, because you only get one life and one chance to fix things right now. The longer you wait, the tougher it gets to treat.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcg08002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24617

The LLND is only $190 a month. She is only 2 hours away. I was shocked she only charged that much. She has put many into remission. She has so much hope for me. She did tell my husband and I to wait to start a family and explained about the thing with Pregnancy and lyme.

She says it's still possible to have healthy children with lyme, but with as sick as I am, that it will be a good idea to wait and get me better as much as we can before we have our first one. (Because it takes LOTS of energy to be a mom!)

She gave me lots of papers to read about ILADS and IDSA and their differences. The office staff is so friendly. She is a LLND, and so friendly. The first time seeing her I felt like I already knew her. Just a really good vive about her.
She was trained by one of the guys in "Under Our Skin".

She is so knowlegable about Lyme. She says that in 6-12 months, this could go into remission. (I have only been sick for 9 months).

She wants to treat co infections first.

It's just now I have these nasty vericose vein looking things in bunches all over my legs and hips, along with these stretch mark red things. These vericose veins are not normal or the red things. Thing have been just popping up.

--------------------

Ehrlichia [POSITIVE]
IGG/IGM AB [H] 1.49
IGG P93 AB [PRESENT]
IGG P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P23 AB [PRESENT]

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry you endured such an awful experience. We have all had our times with uneducated ducks. And its just wrong.

I think it is time for lyme patients to stop putting up with this kind of crap. I would write a letter to the state medical board and CC it to the ID doc. She behaved in a very unethical way and it needs to be acknowledged as such. They can't keep getting away with that stuff.

If Lyme patients don't start standing up for ourselves, the lyme community is not going to gain any ground.

I hope you feel better soon. Don't be afraid of treatment. Most ppl get well on orals!

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The veiny rashes and red things are from Bartonella. Often the Bart rashes go away with treatment. Get started!

Good luck!!

BoxerMom

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcg08002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24617

It would be nice to have good looking legs again! My husbands legs are looking better than mine! lol

--------------------

Ehrlichia [POSITIVE]
IGG/IGM AB [H] 1.49
IGG P93 AB [PRESENT]
IGG P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P23 AB [PRESENT]

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Believe, me - your legs don't look any worse than the damage that TBD (tick-borne disease) can do inside a body. When the inside gets better, so will the outside. You just have some "art work" for the time being.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcg08002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24617

True!

Artwork? haha. Keebler, that is such a funny way to look at it. I sometimes just complain about it. Its just so gross. Bunches of dark purple and red vericose looking things. bunches on my knee. Ankle. Theighs. Hips. Gosh lol.

--------------------

Ehrlichia [POSITIVE]
IGG/IGM AB [H] 1.49
IGG P93 AB [PRESENT]
IGG P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P23 AB [PRESENT]

CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You can only have bartonella if you have HIV".....what utter bollocks!
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Are you writing that letter?? [Cool]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call a TV station? Newspaper? These doctors who do this to patients are real scum. I'm SICK of hearing these stories from suffering people.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So thats what is all over my legs! I never wear shorts anymore. Hope it goes away.

Definetly write that letter! Time for us abused lyme patients to start to fight back! I'm just so sick of the way they are doing us and getting away with it.

If you don't do something, she will continue to hurt other patients in the same way and some might not even know better.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement