LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mepron Herx question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mepron Herx question
lr26
Member # 7437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lr26     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I have a question about Mepron Herx. My Doc told me I would feel real bad on month 1 and not as bad on month 2 and start feeling better on month 3. I am taking 1 tsp 2 x day and Flagel 750 mg every other day.

I am on about day 20. I have a bad head ach, at the temples and neck ach, where the spine meets the head. And my knee has started hurting again and both legs feel weak. And I am so..... stif.

I was having a flare every 6 or 7 days and last Thur. I tryed the herb with worm wood (starts with a A sp?) for 3 days like someone here sugested and it worked, no flare, but last night I started the flare.

My question is - Do ya think this is a herx or am I just getting worse. Or what kind of herx do others have with mepron. I don't have depression, yet? like I have read others have. Just pain and stiffness.

lr26

Posts: 94 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a lot worse on Mepron before I started feeling better. My first herx was 24 days into it, so hang in there, it gets better.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lr26
Member # 7437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lr26     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Sixgoofykids. It is good to hear others experences. I guess I should just trust what my Doc says. It is just hard to fall back.

lr26

Posts: 94 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you being treated for babesia? Because babesia cycles on a weekly basis, so that may be the cause of 6-7 day flares. Lyme cycles monthly.

Sounds like you're herxing to me. I didn't get any depression or fatigue with Mepron until increasing the dosage to double what you are taking. All I had to do was back off for a day, and it resolved.

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lr26
Member # 7437

Hi nspiker,

When you herxed or flared did you just have depression and fatigue. Any joint or neck pain or weakness. And yes my doc is treating me for babesia.

Maybe if this gets to bad I will take a day off. I have to work for a living.

Thanks for sharing your experence.
lr26

baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The usual flare was increased joint pain and stiffness in my legs, and of coarse neck creaking. I didn't get the depression and fatigue, only one day. Then I backed off for a day.

I've been on it about five months, and still going.

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lr26, many people with Babesiosis herx every three weeks or so. You are around the third week of treatment.

Babesiosis can cause headaches, weakness, and neck pain which can become worse during a herx. It sounds like a herx to me.

I hope things let up for you soon.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lr26
Member # 7437

Thank you all,

It sure helps emotionally to know this is what a herx is supposed to be.

nspiker, You discribed exactly how I felt. Weird how it is worse in the evenings. Mornings are always better

It was bad last night. Joints, stiffness, neck ache and headache. I soaked in epsen salts and took 2 alieve and went to bed early and this morning I feel good. No stiffness and joint pain minimum.

It lasted almost 48 hrs. My usual flare day is Thursdays and over on Sat., early.

Thanks again,
lr26

lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl caused the bad headaches for me. I stopped it b/c of that, terrible anxiety, and crying stuff.

My LLMD says we can save that for last so long as I stay on the Z-max and get them all into cyst form.

He says my Babs load is to high to do both Flagyl and Mepron together.

With that said, I did the Mepron on it's own and 2 tsp through me for yet another loop. Herxing isn't the word as my CNS went bananas. I'm holding this now too. Will restart on half the dose tomorrow and ramp up.

I find jumping in at full doses throws me for a big loop no matter what med it is. I initially had problems with IV Rocephin, not anymore. Originally had problems with the Z-max, but after ramping both meds, I tolerate them just fine now.

Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Ir26,

If you took an epsom salts bath and aleve, and you felt better, then I would definitely start more detox.

When the epsom salts/hydrogen peroxide bath relieves symptoms for me, it usually means I need to detox more.

Add a 32 oz. bottle of hydrogen peroxide to your bath after soaking in epsom salts for 10 minutes. Then soak another 10 minutes, and rinse off. This is great for detioxing.

Also try apple pectin, as it is a binder for toxins.

It could be you're getting an overload of die-off symptoms, and need to detox a few times a week. Give it a try and see if it helps.

lr26
Member # 7437

nspiker,

Where do you get apple pectin? Eat it? How much?

I do the peroxide in my epsen salt soaks. I also have a rebounder, but my right knee and left ancle were to sore to bounce.

I do have a recipe for a lemon and olive oil and water detox drink for the liver, that I will try tonight. I am looking into a far infared sauna. Those $250 portable ones.

I have had this disease since 1997 and treatment with a LLMD since 2005.

Thanks for your sugestions,
lr26

Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking zithromax (orthwerise known as azithromyacin). I ask becasue you are supposed to take this with the Mepron to keep the Babesea from developing resistance to the Mepron (or something like that).

I get the neck and upper back stiffness, and the burning at the base of my skull, its a rotten ordeal for sure....

I find that I feel a little better if I drink lots of water. I also have a detox tea I drink every day, in addition to taking a supplement called NAC. Mepron can be hard on your liver.

You are taking a low dose by the way, of the Mepron. It is good that that dose is helping you. But be aware that if you stop herxing, you might need to increase (double the dose). In order to prevent relpase.

Also, (and I don't think this is very common), some of us did not get all that far with Mepron, even at high doses. I took the stuff for 26 months, and I was suddenly gettting worse. So we switched to Larium, and that seems to be helping. I might go back on Mepron with the Larium, still don't know at this point.

Anyway, point is that if you keep relapsing, or start getting worse, don't do like I did and wait 2 years and 2 months to try something new.

It is a really goood sign that you are herxing from you low dose of the Mepron....

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Ir,
You've been treating a long time, 5 years....I really hope it doesn't take that long. I've only been treating with an llmd 8 months, and on other antibiotics and IV clindamycin for an additional six months.

How has your progress been?

Amanda,
I am also supposed to add Larium soon. I agree with the dosage on Mepron. I never herxed until the dosage was doubled to 2 tsp. twice a day.

lr26
Member # 7437

hi spiker,

I was 80 to 90% better, then 2 years ago in July I had sinus surgery. I had a blockage and after I started going down hill. My Doc is puzzeled also. I have never had IV abx. I have taken all the different combos of abx except mepron.

So.... he thinks this is the missing link. We will see. I trust that my Doc knows what he is doing. If my dose is low, he has a reason, maybe he doesn't want me to herx to bad.

I work and have a farm to take care of. And horses to show and he knows this. We lymies have to hang on to our dreams, even when we are sick.

I was doing real good in Feb this year and was at about 75% till now with this mepron and flagel. I was on 1000 mg Bixion and 1700 mg Augmeten per day and Flagel every other day.

I am also on LDN, month 4. I think the LDN brought out the babs symtoms. I also have another Doc close to home, that treats with Herbs.

I sure hope it doesn't take 5 years for you. Some of my problems are from not knowing how to slow down and take care of me. This winter I started taking better care of me. I now take a day off work when not feeling good.

And when I get tired I will lay down for an hour or more till I feel better. I think this is why I started getting better again. Darn mepron. It is so.... hard to be this sick again and scary. What if I don't get better again???

Thanks all,
lr26

baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Ir,

It's great that you have been able to keep your love of horses, and maintain your farm. That's hard work. Hopefully the babesia was in hiding, and now you can be done with it, once and for all.

I am also on LDN, month three, and feel it has helped my immune system.

Apple pectin is purchased from viable herbal. I take three pills about three times a day. It doesn't have any side effects like activated charcoal or cholestyramine. It's like eating lots of good apples and skin.

http://www.viable-herbal.com/singles/herbs/s904.htm

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement