LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Got test results .... all NEGATIVE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Got test results .... all NEGATIVE
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TN Kim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, just as everyone forewarned, all the results were NEGATIVE. So ... can I be relieved, happy? Guess not because I still have unexplained symptoms and a swollen knuckle joint that no one has explained!! The NP's "nurse" suggested I follow-up with my pcp ... DUH! Well, she (pcp) won't be back in the office until next week and I know she is booked 'til Mid-July. So, in the meantime I continue my 10 day course of abx.

Kim

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

IgM � Igenex Positive & CDC/NYS Positive with 18+ ; 23-25+; 31+; 34+; 41+; 66+; 83-93 (IND)

IgG � Igenex Positive; CDC/NYS Negative with 31+; 39 (IND); 41++; 58+

Posts: 339 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quest, I presume?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme Disease is a "clinical" diagnosis! Do you have an appt with a LLMD(lyme literate medical doctor)?
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
What test, what lab? Probably an ELISA. Not a good test.

You still need a LLMD. Soon. You had a rash at the bite site, from a recent bite (5 weeks ago?) and swollen joint . . . other symptoms.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
www.canlyme.com/seronegreasons.html

(27) REASONS WHY A SERONEGATIVE TEST RESULT MIGHT OCCUR

==================

www.igenex,.com

Igenex - testing for all tick-borne disease (TBD)

==================

Dr C's Western Blot explanation is discussed here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=042077

===================

www.ilads.org

ILADS - be sure to read all the articles in "Articles and Presentions" Get the DVDs of ILADS of past seminars.

=================

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/

Lyme Disease ASSOCIATION

-================

http://cassia.org/checklist.htm

Symptom checklist for lyme.

=================

http://cassia.org/essay.htm

When to Suspect Lyme - by John D. Bleiweiss, M.D.

================

* This explains WHY you need an ILADS LLMD or ILADS LL ND (naturopathic doctor) to guide your treatment protocol.

www.clinicaladvisor.com/Controversy-continues-to-fuel-the-Lyme-War/article/117160/

CONTROVERSY CONTINUES TO FUEL THE "LYME WAR" - 2007

Excerpts:

* " . . .To treat Lyme disease for a comparable number of life cycles, treatment would need to last 30 weeks. . . ."

* `` . . .Patients with Lyme disease almost always have negative results on standard blood screening tests and have no remarkable findings on physical exam, so they are frequently referred to mental-health professionals for evaluation.

* ". . . If all cases were detected and treated in the early stages of Lyme disease, the debate over the diagnosis and treatment of late-stage disease would not be an issue, and devastating rheumatologic, neurologic, and cardiac complications could be avoided..."

* . . . Clinicians do not realize that the CDC has gone on record as saying the commercial Lyme tests are designed for epidemiologic rather than diagnostic purposes, and a diagnosis should be based on clinical presentation rather than serologic results.

- Be sure to read the entire article at link above.

=======================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum&f=2&submit=Go

Seeking a doctor

==========

http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/

Find your area support groups

=====================

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease (Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

--------------------

As important as any supplements, sections regarding self-care:

Go to page 27 for SUPPORTIVE THERAPY & the CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES

and also pages 31-32 for advice on a safe, non-aerobic exercise plan and physical rehabilitation.

----------------------

MAJOR REFERENCE LIST FOR SUPPLEMENTS:

This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

** Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease **

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008) - Four pages
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very close to half the tests that say you do not have it are WRONG !

This is why a clinical exam - history, physical exam, symptom survey - is more reliable than other tests.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's only a 30% chance that you'll get a positive on one of their tests. The rash is definitives.

Go to lymecryme.com and look under PATENTS. There are good tests; they've just all been withheld from us.

If you can't get enough antibiotic, I'd get my hands on these herbs.
I've never used them, but this researcher is one of the best.

http://www.townsendletter.com/July2010/sapi0710.html

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TN Kim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what company did the test but I did ask them to mail me the results. I made myself get out of bed today and vacuumed my house and did quite a bit of general cleaning. I just am sick and tired of being in bed all day for 2 days. Now I'm achy again and the reality that something is still not "right" is hitting me hard. [Frown]

I do have an appt. with a LLMD for the 30th of July so at least I have that to be hopeful about.

Kim

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

IgM � Igenex Positive & CDC/NYS Positive with 18+ ; 23-25+; 31+; 34+; 41+; 66+; 83-93 (IND)

Posts: 339 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested neg through a mainstream lab-it was mayo clinic. But tested Igenex positive. With important bands IND. So I would definitely see an LLMD. Glad you have an appt.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A note about the vacuum. Since you are on antibiotics, the noise level that can cause hearing damage is less than usual. Be sure to wear ear plugs if you vacuum again, or even if around that. Hopefully, you can find someone else to vacuum as that is one of the most energy-sappy chores.

Good luck.
-

Kirk
Member # 24483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tested negative on 2 tests which my dr. says are basically useless. After working a season on a tree farm on far eastern L.I (where I'm from) I became very sick and got all the lymes' symptoms.

Because i didn't get the positive confirmation that i was looking for i spent alot of money and stress having a million tests run. basically, through a process of elimination i have come to the conclusion that I had in the very beginning, Lymes disease.

Although you cannot discount other causes for your problem, your negative lymes test is not worth the paper it's printed on, IMO.

Read stories on here and all over the web about people who test negative for years and get sicker only to finally test positve when they have reached the late stages of the disease.

Posts: 41 | From astoria, new york | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Well, I now feel bad since vacuuming this morning but I am determined to still live as normally as I can when I can.

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TN Kim:
Well, I now feel bad since vacuuming this morning but I am determined to still live as normally as I can when I can.

That is a very wise thing to do .. if you can! Don't overdo though either. Keep on living!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kim,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you say you had a ring rash around a known tick bite location?

If SO, just THAT is sufficient confirmation of (early) Lyme disease... even by CDC standards...
in which case, 10 days is WOEFULLY too short a course of doxy!

You cannot & SHOULD not just "wait" until July 30th to be re-evaluated. Big Mistake. Especially considering the fact that you "feel something is just not right". I've BEEN there.

Go over All the current symptoms- & that skimpy 10-day 'script' with the LLMD receptionist... or better yet, the nurse there. You NEED to be on a longer course to slow any *potential* Lyme infection down.

(But maybe I'm recalling your case wrong?)

--------------------
I'm not a Doc... but I play golf!

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

If you're right, Kete tracker... then maybe she should head out to the local walk-in clinic! (if hounding the current dr doesn't work!)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

quote:
Originally posted by 'Kete-tracker:
Kim,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you say you had a ring rash around a known tick bite location?

If SO, just THAT is sufficient confirmation of (early) Lyme disease... even by CDC standards...
in which case, 10 days is WOEFULLY too short a course of doxy!

You cannot & SHOULD not just "wait" until July 30th to be re-evaluated. Big Mistake. Especially considering the fact that you "feel something is just not right". I've BEEN there.

Go over All the current symptoms- & that skimpy 10-day 'script' with the LLMD receptionist... or better yet, the nurse there. You NEED to be on a longer course to slow any *potential* Lyme infection down.

(But maybe I'm recalling your case wrong?)

--------------------
I'm not a Doc... but I play golf!

I posted a pic of what my bite looks like now. I never gave it much attention at the time it was itchy and new as my 9 week old grandbaby had just passed away suddenly from SIDS and I just assumed it was a mosquito bite. I know it didn't have anything big and obvious around it but other than that, I really can't remember except that it did itch and take a while to heal up. The center sort of was hollowed out from the bite and left a scar when it healed. I will try to post another pic to this reply.

*I REMOVED THE PIC OF MY BITE AS IT WAS HUGE* ;o)

This is my swollen finger joint that literally just popped up one day and has not gone back down!

-

-

[ 07-02-2010, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: TN Kim ]

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen LLMDs' offices to this very thing... extend the patient's (usually 14 day) course of abx, after a short visit with the office RN (req'd by law), until the patient can get in to see the LLMD...
especially when there was a known tick bite, rash and the patient lives in an area where Lyme's a problem! [Wink]

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

hmmm... well... the pics don't really show any "erythra migrans", as it's officially called
I guess I'd have to say 'inconclusive'.

Still give the LLMD's office a ring, at a 'good' time & go over the symptoms (excluding any possibly caused by the doxy... i.e: sour tummy after dose, soft stools) & ask if tbheyn're comfortbatbel with just the 10 day course you were put on.

Keep any mineral supp's.. and Dairy... atleast 2 hrs away from your doxy doses! (It would "tie up" some of the medicine)
And Stay out of the Sun while you're on any 'cycline drug! (You probably already know this.) [Smile]

'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

"erythema migrans"
My bad.

Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh Kim...I didn't know you'd get your test results back so fast. Seems like it would have shown positive for at least 1 band. Well, you have an appt with a LLMD now. Thank goodness. My appt. is in 5 days. Glory be.....

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The first photo you posted of the rash was much brighter. Be sure to save that and show it to your LLMD. It was questionable, even if not the classic bulls eye. Not all lyme rashes are bulls eyes and they do fade, so just because it did not stay red means very little.

If you could get into earlier to a doctor who would help, that would be best, too, to hold you over until your LLMD appt. in 4 weeks.

Do NOT let anyone pop that cyst. It's best not to irritate it.

=============

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/

Lyme Disease Association

See lower left menu for rash photos.
-

TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

As far as the picture is concerned: the original bite place that scarred over is just to the right of my thumb ... but if you look below my thumb in the very bottom left of the picture you will see another place that appeared a few days ago that looks red / rashy that had no explanation.

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The rash can appear ANYWHERE on the body, though, it need not be at the bite site. When it appears soon after a bite (or even a few weeks later), even elsewhere, it is highly suspect - especially along with other classic lyme symptoms.

I've had up to 13 "Satellite rashes" (that were silver dollar-sized bulls eyes) at one time - years after becoming infected (when I started on doxycycline).
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
By the way, just for future reference, if you post more photos, the large ones can take the thread very wide. Same with very long links but there are none that long here.

I think most of us can work around it for now but just for future reference, if a thread "goes wide" from a post, just means that was just too much for it to handle.
-

TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

I'm sorry about the wide pics! I normally edit them but since I've been in bed I've only been able to use my laptop which doesn't have my editing software on it! I'll try to do better!

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

ehhh.. that's O.K.
Save your energy for the doctors' office visits.

And, Hopefully, you can get to one soon for either an extension (@ old doc's) or new 'script' (LLMD's, from nurse/aide OR poss. a walk-in clinic).

If you're killing off Lyme with that doxy, you WILL be more tired. Your body is busy dealing with all the dead ketes'/pieces... by making anti-bodies [Wink] & filtering 'em out.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I just meant - just FYI, for future - in case you wondered what happened. We can certainly deal with one thread like this now and then. Take care.
-

TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

I'm nearly to the point of tears ... feeling really bad right now. I have a call in to the "doctor on call" NOT the NP on call!!!!

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you can get to an LLMD soon.
I got bitten in TN and got an EM rash (though it didn't look like a bulls eye so I didn't know what it was)

Anyways, I tested neg. through regular labs, but when I tested through IgeneX I came back CDC + !
My little boy, the exact same thing! He is even more CDC + than I am. But Quest and Labcorp came back neg.

Even IgeneX doesn't always come back positive when you have Lyme..that is why it's a clinical diagnosis! My teenager is positive, husband has a few bands and youngest daughter came back completely neg. from IgeneX. But she was diagnosed because of 41+ on IgeneX and 18 + on Labcorp. All other bands neg. Yet she has classic symptoms.

And from what I've heard, the sicker you are the more likely the bands won't show up.. because your body isn't able to make antibodies to even show up on the tests.

Don't feel too bad.. just keep on pushing. *hugs*

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

TN.. If you get tired of trying to read this wide post... just remove the pics. You do have them posted elsewhere.

Just an FYI.. I'm not saying you should remove them. Your choice.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to be careful with the main stream medical community who follow lock step the IDS diagnosis and treatment guidelines.

With a tick bite but no rash then subsequent flu symptoms they will do the Elisa test.

IF this is negative (never mind the NIH analysis of a 45% false negative rate, i.e. poor sensitivity) they will tell you its not Lyme, never mind what the symptoms are.

My daughter also failed the Western Blot (and good luck obtaining the bands if you didn't request in advance) but when redone had two positive (one a LB specific) and two IND (also LB specific).

Never mind the co infections that mess up the immune system and their testing also has many flaws.

I suggest you take a couple of hours and read and reread Dr. B's Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease.

Good luck.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement