LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Should we avoid fireworks?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should we avoid fireworks?
RZR
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Family wants to go to fireworks display tonight. I am worried about damaging my ears, as they have been hurting for a couple of months now.

Is it safe to go if earplugs are worn? It's certainly not worth permanent ear damage.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any loud noise can contribute to loss of hearing.

However, it is usually something loud sustained over a long period of time.

Like machinery or music.

I would wear ear plugs.

Get a good pair. They won't fall out as easily.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plug 'em up.

And DO NOT have TOO MUCH FUN [tsk]

Oh wait [Big Grin] It's OK for today.
Nice rhyme, huh ? [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah plug 'em up and try to have some fun. Maybe take a separate car or whatever so if it turns out to be too bad you can leave. Maybe you can tie a bandana/scarf around over your ears to keep the plugs in.

When I think of fireworks I worry more about people sitting in tick infested grass. Oy, lyme paranoia!

Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, I went to Miracle Ear and spent $75 to have ear plugs fitted and they come with different filters that cut various decibel levels. I always wear them at concerts or when I play music with my band.
quote:
Originally posted by Geneal:
Any loud noise can contribute to loss of hearing.

However, it is usually something loud sustained over a long period of time.

Like machinery or music.

I would wear ear plugs.

Get a good pair. They won't fall out as easily.

Hugs,

Geneal

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
keebler posted something earlier regarding this

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/96350

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
When on antibiotics, the decibel level is MUCH lower at which permanent auditory damage can occur. Even from one blast.

=====================

dmc,

Thanks for posting that. I get noise damage just from a dental cleaning. Fireworks are a huge concern - for everyone's ears.

In addition to the noise factor, the smoke also has lots of chemicals and heavy metals in it.

Better to watch from a distance for many reasons. That can still be fun.

I don't think ANY ear plugs are good enough to be right at the main stage of any display. Sound also travels through the nasal passages, through all our bones. Just covering the ears - with both plugs AND dB-rated muffs - is essential but not nearly enough to protect them from fireworks explosions at close range.

Even one single bang that is too loud can permanently damage ears and, when on abx, the decibel level is MUCH lower at which permanent damage can occur.

If ears ring after exposure, damage occurred. There is no way to fix noise damage (except perhaps emergency care at that very time, and that may or may not work and often involves steroids).

Noise damage may not show up for a couple of years but then, it can progress rapidly. Tinnitus is one of the first signs of ear damage. Hyperacusis, too. Both of those are also exceedingly common with lyme.

And, remember, it's not just about hearing. Our ears affect nearly everything we do, even walking and talking.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Smoke and Mirrors?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/greenhouse/post/2010/06/are-july-4th-fireworks-bad-for-the-environment/1

Jul 02, 2010 (USA Today interview with McLendon)

Are July 4th fireworks bad for the environment?

Excerpts:

. . . "Fireworks can unleash a shower of toxins into soil and water, and scientists are only beginning to figure out what that means for human health," writes Russell McLendon on Mother Nature Network, an environmental website.

He cites studies showing perchlorate levels in nearby wells and waterways rose dramatically after a fireworks show.

He adds: . . . An effort to ban them in Hawaii cites their impact on human health and has the backing of the state's American Lung Association, according to the Honolulu Advertiser.

McLendon says the eco-friendliest alternative to fireworks is to avoid them completely and instead go fishing or camping.

He says other alternatives include laser light shows, which emit no dangerous chemicals, and Disneyland's use of compressed air to launch fireworks, which reduce particulates in the air and perchlorates in the water.

Why's he so concerned? Here are excerpts of his article:

In addition to gunpowder, fireworks are packed with heavy metals and other toxins that produce their sparkling shower of colors.

Like perchlorates, the exact effect of fireworks' heavy-metal fallout is still mainly a mystery, but scientists do know that the metals themselves can wreak havoc in the human body.

* Strontium (red): This soft, silvery-yellow metal turns red when it burns, is extremely reactive with both air and water, and can be radioactive. Some strontium compounds dissolve in water, and others move deep into soil and groundwater; radioactive strontium has a half-life of 29 years. While low levels of stable and radioactive strontium haven't been shown to affect human health, they both can be dangerous at high doses.

* Aluminum (white): Since aluminum is the most abundant metal in Earth's crust -- and one of humanity's most widely used -- avoiding exposure is almost impossible. Virtually all food, water, air and soil contain some amount of aluminum -- the average adult eats about 7 to 9 milligrams of the silvery-white metal every day in food. It's generally safe at these levels, but it can affect the brain and lungs at higher concentrations.

* Copper (blue): Fireworks' blue hues are produced by copper compounds. These aren't very toxic on their own, but the copper jump-starts the formation of dioxins when perchlorates in the fireworks burn....

The most noted health effect of dioxin exposure is chloracne, a severe skin disease with acne-like lesions mostly on the face and upper body. Dioxin doesn't stop there, though -- the World Health Organization has identified it as a human carcinogen, and it's also been shown to disrupt hormone production and glucose metabolism.

* Barium (green): Fish and other aquatic organisms can accumulate barium, which means it can move up the food chain. The silvery-white metal naturally bonds with other elements to form a variety of compounds that all have different effects -- none are known to be carcinogenic, but they can cause gastrointestinal problems and muscular weakness when exposure exceeds EPA drinking water standards.

* Rubidium (purple): This soft, silvery metal is one of the most abundant elements on Earth. It burns purple, melts to a liquid at 104 degrees Fahrenheit and is highly reactive with water, capable of igniting fires even far below the freezing point.

It hasn't been reported to cause any major environmental damage, but it can cause skin irritation since it's so reactive with moisture, and it's moderately toxic when ingested, reportedly able to replace calcium in bones (PDF).

* Cadmium (various): Used to produce a wide range of fireworks colors, this mineral is also a known human carcinogen. Breathing high levels of cadmium can seriously damage the lungs, and consuming it can fluster the stomach, often resulting in vomiting and diarrhea.

- (Standards Editor Brent Jones)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can't stand any loud noise and earplugs hurt my ears.

i can't even listen to people talking loudly in a restaurant anymore.

i am really sensitive.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If one is swimming in any water (fresh or pool) for days (or longer?) after fireworks displays, all the added chemicals in the swimming water is also of concern.

Those who drink from wells, also need to take precautions but once the chemicals are in the water supply, there's not much that can really be done.

from article above: " . . . perchlorate levels in nearby wells and waterways rose dramatically after a fireworks show. "
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How far away will you be from the fireworks??

We'll be miles from the display we're going to watch. We'll be on top of an Ozark mountain! Hope it doesn't rain!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
How far away will you be from the fireworks??

We'll be miles from the display we're going to watch. We'll be on top of an Ozark mountain! Hope it doesn't rain!!

Very close...the fireworks are on the lake. You drive your boat to the display...it's been a tradition in our family for years.

I already have mild tinnitus...guess I better pass on fireworks this year.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bummer... they do that here too. We will be viewing the fireworks off the lake area and near the dam from another display. Sure hope it doesn't rain.... We're supposed to get some of that "moisture" from hurricane Alex.

Sorry you have to miss the fireworks! That stinks!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the3030club
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the3030club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wear earplugs. You will be fine.
Posts: 339 | From Outer Space | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always wear earplugs when I go to see fireworks. If you get a good pair of plugs..they will really help block out the noise.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you got to Watch some fireworks on your widescreen (?) TV! We heard mostly the [Boston Pops] orchestra here as the skys over Boston's waterfront lit up.

Great new displays... including bright "waterfalls" of color that just "hung" there.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement