LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Igenex Testing - Babesia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Igenex Testing - Babesia
Nan in MD
Member # 25920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nan in MD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was tested through for Babesia 6 months ago and it came back negative but I've always thought that I had it (along with Lyme) since I had the recurring fever, air hunger and chest pains. I had read somewhere that the test is only accurate the first two weeks after being infected. I have an appt with a LLMD next week and I know she uses Igenex and was wondering if anyone knows if they have an accurate test for Babs?
Posts: 3 | From Maryland | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only offer my personal situation. I tested positive for Babesia microti with Igenex.

A year later I retested with Igenex and I was negative.

I struggle with those results b/c I so clearly still have Babs symptoms.

I suppose the thing to keep in mind is that with all TBD testing it is "hit or miss".

Best of luck with your appointment. I hope you find some answers and begin treatment soon.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me known meds taken for hit it. So I am hitting it some more....No pos. test.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr B says that there are at least 13 species of Babesia, possibly as many as 24...and only tests for 2 species.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dekrator48:
Dr B says that there are at least 13 species of Babesia, possibly as many as 24...and only tests for 2 species.

Exactly. A negative test may mean NOTHING.. only that the test couldn't pick it up!

So go ahead and get a test thru Igenex... but if it comes back negative, ask your dr to give you a trial run of babesia meds and see if you herx or get better.

It's very important to get it treated if you have it...otherwise, you won't be able to get over the Lyme.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never tested positive for babesia, but I clearly had it and felt better on babs meds.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
positive igenex for babs duncani......but again testing is not accurate.............

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nan in MD
Member # 25920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nan in MD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel certain that they will treat me for babesia as I definitely have the symptoms. What about the drugs used to treat it, did anyone have side effects from them? I know some of the drugs are kind of dangerous.
Posts: 3 | From Maryland | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imhis4life
Member # 26581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Imhis4life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nan...we live in Northern VA. Our son was positive for Babesia WA-1 through a Quest test.

Based on symptoms and this test, he is now being treated with Lariam (controversial drug), Plaquenil, Omnicef and Biaxin. This is the 4th week on this combination of meds and so far...so good.

He is no doubt doing worse physically due to die off but nothing that is a huge red flag or that I didn't expect.

PM me if you have any questions you'd like to discuss privately.

Blessings...

Posts: 66 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nan in MD:
I feel certain that they will treat me for babesia as I definitely have the symptoms. What about the drugs used to treat it, did anyone have side effects from them? I know some of the drugs are kind of dangerous.

I took Mepron for about four months and I don't think I felt much of a difference.

I was also on azithromyacin for about a year and a half. That may have helped with the Babesia too.

Once I went on IV Rocephin for Lyme all my oral abx and treatments for Lyme, Babs and Bart were changed so right now I am not taking anything for the Babesia.

I have read many people that had some sort of reaction with Mepron, but I think I was just too sick with too many other things. When I return to it I may get better results.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirk
Member # 24483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have been on Mepron and zithro for 2 weeks and no bad side effects yet ( a little loosening of stool, thats about it).

I did get a herx feeling after about 4 or 5 days, symptoms that I hadn't felt for months came back for a couple of days.

Since then I have noticed a slight improvement with my dizziness so I have a lot of hope in this combo right now.

Posts: 41 | From astoria, new york | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tested negative more times than I can count, on every test including the FISH test over and over.

I have no doubt I have it. Not only do I have every symptom, but I respond miraculously to Malarone. However, I did not respond all that well to a year of Mepron (enough response to confirm I had Babs, but didn't get well) nor did I respond at all to Bactrim and Zith.

My two sons and hubby both tested positive in one shot for it. Two with microti, one with duncani.

Go figure. The test is not reliable.

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOPS....did not realize I was logged in under hubby. This is Tracy9.

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tooK a test on the Asyra machine and I had very high scores for Babesia pantherae.

Even my LLMD who has been doing this for a while was unfamiliar with this strain.

I have never had a positive blood test. I don't know if having this information would help to find the organism in a blood test.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement