LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Very discouraged

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Very discouraged
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually I can find something hopeful about my daughter's illness. Even if it is that the next antibiotic might be "the one". I am feeling very discouraged now, though.

We have been treating for 2 1/2 years. She has been mostly in her bed or on the couch for almost 3 years. And she isn't much better at all.

She used to have mood disorder symtpoms that have gone away. She now has tachycardia and severe fatigue to go along with her constant headache, though.

She is now on Omnicef and zith and has been for about 6 weeks. We are adding a tindimax pulse now. So far, the only change with the Omnicef and zith is a tiny flare of irritability.

I feel we haven't done strong enough antibiotics. Sometimes when we start a new treatment, she will improve enough to look like she feels better (but she says she doesn't) but it doesn't last.

Her LLMD wants to give the Omnicef/zith/tindimax more time. We will talk to him in about a month.

Is there any hope of IV abx helping her if she has gotten such a poor response to orals?

We have been with this LLMD since October. She is better than when we started with him, but she was at her absolute worst then and had just been abandoned by her LLMD so not on any abx. I like this doctor the best of any we have seen, but she isn't better compared to a year ago. How long should we give this LLMD?

Our next option is to go to a doctor that will give her higher doses of abx. My daughter couldn't walk without help when she was taking 2 antibiotics and Valtrex so I am scared the high dose antibiotics will make her a lot worse. She seems to get worse on some antibiotics but not get over the herx (if that is what it is). How long do we let her herx without getting better?

I trust her current LLMD to help us decide these things but he thinks she wouldn't be able to handle higher doses. I am not sure that is the way to go either.

Thanks if you have read this far.

[ 07-10-2010, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: jkmom ]

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KimDC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KimDC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter is not much better after 2 1/2 years of treatment. That must be very discouraging for the whole family.

My experience over the past 1 1/2 may or may not be helpful to you. I started my treatment with Mepron (2 teas. per day) and Zith (1500 mg per day). My LLMD wanted to treat Babesia first. I did those meds for 6 weeks. I had to stop due to tachycardia and a "herx" that just would not stop, like your daughter.

Then, I was able to get IV abx paid for by ins. for 12 weeks. I did Rocephin (1 mg in a.m., 1 mg in p.m.) for 5 weeks and had to stop that due to developing an allergy (rash and itching). Next, I did Invanz (1 mg per day) for 7 weeks. I saw significant improvement on Invanz. I was able to really enjoy Christmas with extended family in town. Then, my ins. sent me a letter of denial and I had my PICC removed.

That was a big mistake. I'm not sure why my LLMD didn't encourage me to keep the PICC and fight my ins., or even pay out-of-pocket somehow. He just said, "We can treat with orals." I have gone steadily downhill since stopping the IVs, even though I've continued with oral abx. I'm as sick as before any treatment. My family and I are discussing ways to pay for another PICC and for Invanz, which is a new and expensive drug.

So, for me, long-term IV treatment is going to be key in recovering. Oral abx have done nothing for me.

--------------------
Misdiagnosed with CFS for 7 yrs. Diagnosed by LLMD in 2009. Aggressive treatment for 3 years with minimum improvement.

Posts: 120 | From FL | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TN Kim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm brand new to Lyme but I wanted to offer my support and prayers for your daughter! (((hugs)))

Kim

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

IgM � Igenex Positive & CDC/NYS Positive with 18+ ; 23-25+; 31+; 34+; 41+; 66+; 83-93 (IND)

IgG � Igenex Positive; CDC/NYS Negative with 31+; 39 (IND); 41++; 58+

Posts: 339 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JKMom,

I am in pretty much the same position as your daughter. I treated for a little over a year with orals. Several combos.
Doxy, Amoxy, Probenicid
Doxy, Ceftin
Doxy, Biaxin

Then, I did 3 months of bicillin injections. And now, I am treating with IV Invanz. I have done this for 2 months, and I am not really seeing any improvements.

Really, I haven't seen any improvements from the start of my treatment. My main symptom is fatigue and getting out of bed is a nightmare.

However, I wasn't willing to give up on treatment unless I tried IV to see if it was the thing that would make me better. At the endd of April I got my PICC line and started with Invanz (2 months). Since I am not doing better my doctor is going to try Vancomycin (sp?).

Total treatment time for me is 21 months.

Give your doctor some time. Also, maybe think of trying IV, and herbal protocols. Good luck to you!!!

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you guys been treated for babesia yet?

Jkmom... I sent you a PM.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She did 5 months of Mepron/zith. At first, she seemed better, but it didn't last.

I just asked her LLMD about that and he didn't think that was a factor now.

Her LLMD uses herbs and abx. She is about to start Japanese Knotweed and colloidal silver. She takes lots of supplements.

We won't give up without trying IV. We can pay out of pocket if we have to, but so far, I haven't found a doctor to order it.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just added Lauricidan into the mix with my abx. I'm not sure if it will do any good but worth a shot...I've heard some positive things about it (anecdotally at least.)

Also consider more testing...maybe an analysis of kryptopyrroles/"mauve factor," hormones, etc.

I'm over three years in and know how frustrating it can be. Of course, the only option is to keep trying. Leave no stone unturned.

Good luck.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear your daughter is still suffering. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers..........
Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know her Babesia strain? I had B. microti, and it took 1 year on Mepron, Malarone, Zith combos to get it under control. I had extreme fatigue and palpitations. I was an emotional wreck.

B. duncani is even more difficult to treat, often requiring higher doses of abx and longer treatment time. And the symptoms are more severe.

Parasites can stand in the way of recovery. Reasearch on XMRV, the retrovirus, is in its infancy. It could play a major role for us.

We are such complicated cases! Do not give up! I'm glad you like your new LLMD. Please give him a chance, but keep your options open for yet another doctor.

All my love,
BoxerMom

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jkmom, I am sorry your daughter is so sick.

I agree that her symptoms could be from Babesiosis. I have fatigue, palpitations, and severe headaches from Babs.

Five months is not really that long to treat it. You said her progress did not last after stopping treatment for it, so it sounds like she may need longer treatment for Babs.

I hope she feels better soon.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry that your daughter is still not feeling well. Will keep all in my prayers.
Hugs, Jane

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sophie1234
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sophie1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My prayers for you too. I'd rather have this stuff myself than have to watch my child. God bless you.
Posts: 113 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi JK Mom,

I know that it can get discouraging. I would like to suggest the Asyra machine to have her tested. You can go on to their website and find out how it works. Then you can find someone in your area that has it.

I was completely skeptical about this stuff but I took the test and found some things out that blew my mind. They check for very specific bacteria and fungus etc.... These can be comfirmed with a blood test.

It does not cure you but it tells you which infections you are dealing with and which are high on the list.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jkmom:
She used to have mood disorder symtpoms that have gone away.
She now has tachycardia and severe fatigue to go along with her constant headache, though.

Look into magnesium.
Low magnesium can cause cardiac irregularities, headache, and fatigue.

Is she taking a pharmaceutical quality fish oil?
This will reduce inflammation and improve cell wall integrity.

I found that systemic enzymes reduce the body pain and severe headaches.
I take Wobenzym daily.

The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition
http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_of_magnesium_to_human.htm

OmegaBrite
http://www.omegabrite.com/why/effects.html

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abigail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you read the Lyme Disease Solution? I'm in the same boat as I guess many others are here where I do antibiotics and well, no improvement. This book has been amazing so far. It is written by a doc who had lyme disease that went undxd for 8 years. Anyway, in it, he explains very cleary how the immune system works and how to make it work better. I have seen them give old people medicine for pneumonia and they died anyway. People say all the abcs in the world won't get you well without your immune system so...I for one am gonna tune mine up!

--------------------
Dying is easy. Living is harder.

Posts: 257 | From owensboro kentucky | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement