LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » So much anxiety

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So much anxiety
littlebit27
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never use to be an anxious person, never use to be so uptight. But now I get anxious if someone sits on my side of the couch, it's ridiculous but dang gone it it is MY side, lol.

I get so anxious about everything especially when I don't have control over the situation.

I'm on neurontin for nerve pain which is supposedly an anxiety medicine too, but I'm on 1800mg a day and I'm still really anxious.

Any other recommendations. I will bring it up with PCP (who got his medical license out of a cracker jack box) but I doubt he will do anything. My LLMD ONLY treats Lyme-not problems associated with Lyme disease.

I need a new LLMD, LOL.

But anyway if my PCP won't listen to my concerns (since he thinks C. Pneumonie is an STD, and that steriods will help with my pain, oh and neurontin is a cure all pill, it should cover every pain I feel) is there a natural way to control anxiety?

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwick25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had to deal with anxiety since I was diagnosed with Lyme/Bartonella.

I was never that way before. It's not a fun thing to manage.

You mentioned your LLMD treats the lyme, but not related problems. Do you think it might be beneficial to get a second opinion from another LLMD?

I hope this all works out for you!

Posts: 711 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah-I really need a new LLMD. He is really good and knows his stuff. He works with me because of the distance and stuff but he only treats Lyme. I just can't afford to pay TWO LLMDs. I need to get on the phone today and see if anyone is open and try to find a new one.

There is one really close to me (well compared to the other ones) but I've called there a few times following up about my first phone call asking if she would take me on as a patient but still have no recieved a call back. Kinda rude, and it might be like that once I'm a patient, which would be a bad thing if I have a serious issue.

Ugh, I just with the dang gone medical community would accept Lyme.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirk
Member # 24483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anxiety is part of the disease, I don't know of that is any consolation.
Posts: 41 | From astoria, new york | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Neurontin made me so very much worse. It really irritated my nervous system yet turned my muscles to jell-o and sunk my mood down the toilet. Neurontin can be hard on the kidneys and then you may not be able to filter out all the other toxins in your body.

Turmeric/Curcumin and magnesium worked far better for me to help my comfort level. To calm nervous system irritation (and that is what anxiety is, partly) adrenal support was far better for me. Adrenal details are listed in the sleep thread.

Lightening the toxic load will also help decrease anxiety. Liver links in the Tinnitus thread.
----------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/24039

Topic: Looking for long term pain management

=======================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP - Links to articles & supplements - including ADRENAL SUPPORT

========================

LIVER SUPPORT links are 3/4 the way down page one:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlebit27:

is there a natural way to control anxiety?

Magnesium.

Pharmaceutical quality fish oil.

========

Magnesium deficiency causes increased levels of adrenaline, which can lead to a feeling of anxiety.

Common Conditions That May Result from Low Magnesium Levels
http://www.ctds.info/5_13_magnesium.html

=========

Fish oil and anxiety what's the connection?.....More than half of the brain’s dry weight comes from fat.
Some of these fats are the key building blocks of cell membranes and play essential roles in the brain’s function.

Omega-3 fatty acids, for example, help form cell membranes,
keep those membranes flexible,
prevent “leakage” of neurotransmitters,
regulate the flow of hormones and other chemical messengers,
which affect our mood as well as our immune system.

Source: http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/fish-oil-and-anxiety.html

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GABA works wonders. Was recommended to me by an M.D. for anxiety. You must be careful with any herb or supplement to make sure it does not interact with other meds.

Muscle testing for appropriate flower essences can be helpful but far and away, GABA has been my best treatment for anxiety.

Also, hypoglycemia (not uncommon in lyme patients) can cause anxiety.

It is miserable. I hope you get it under control soon.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went on 20mg of Prozac / day a month before I was diagnosed.

My anxiety is gone now. not sure if it is the Prozac or my lyme treatment. I don't care! It's gone.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know how much Magnesium and fish oil should be used for a teenager?

Does this really work for anxiety? Our daughter is having an ongoing problem with anxiety and even worse since starting bactrim and tindamax.

thanks for any input.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Balance your glutmate/gaba. Here are some supplements. I recommend taking a look.

http://books.google.com/books?id=SubUu3WUJUsC&lpg=PA99&dq=glutamate%20foods%20yasko&pg=PA96#v=onepage&q=glutamate%20foods%20yasko&f=false

She doesn't mention Kava. I like Kava.

There are a lot of good ideas in Amy Yasko's book for putting glutamate/gaba back in balance. The book has an autism title, but the material in the book applies to A LOT more than just autism. She does mention Lyme disease in the book as well.

And read through the toxic food ingredients as well.

Foods to avoid:
http://books.google.com/books?id=SubUu3WUJUsC&lpg=PA99&dq=glutamate%20foods%20yasko&pg=PA97#v=onepage&q=glutamate%20foods%20yasko&f=false

Pharmaceutical anxiety medication is the most potent in my opinion, but also very addictive. It downregulates GABA receptors over time. It will take me a long time to ween off when the time comes.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement