LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Eat your pancakes!!!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eat your pancakes!!!!!!
richedie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wanted to let everyone know about a pancake recipe I use once in a while. Not as fluffy as traditional pancakes but they do the job.

1 cup quinoa flakes
2 eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
tsp of canola oil

Sometimes I will add a touch of stevia and/or cinnamon. I also play around with ingredient ratios depending on what I want.

For topping I will use a little Earth Balance with some cinammon and or stevia or some thawed berries. This morning I tried a mix of organic blueberries and raspberries. These were the frozen variety.,

My wife and daughter recently picked peaches at a local farm so she made some no sugar added peach preserves which I tried on one pancake, WOW! Still too sweet for me at this time.

Some recipe changes:
This is a recipe for one.
1 cup quinoa flakes or almond flour
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup almond milk or water (experiment with amount)
1-2T oil
1/4 tsp sea salt
Stevia(I use 2-3 little scoops with the included scooper)
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking pwd
dash cinnamon
I top with Earth Balance and some berries.

[ 07-08-2010, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: richedie ]

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Well, congratulations. I'd say you did it and avoided the pitfall of simple sugars. Although the quinoa flakes are more refined than whole grain, they still have a good amino acid ratio and adding the eggs fortifies this further.

Wondering, did you try adding some baking powder, a dash of baking soda and dash of salt? I'm inclined to do that to get it to rise a bit but if you tried that with less than great results, I'll back away.

I'll have to try this. I'd given up on pancakes as, even the gluten-free ones are sky high on the glycemic index. You've avoided that, though.

You could also use a nut oil (hazelnut oil, almond, walnut) to change this up. Maybe even some nut meal (ground very fine).

You could also make this a dinner side-dish with garden herbs such as thyme and summer savory. Dill is another option. You might also find a gluten-free FALAFEL mix and bake as dinner rolls - or tiny pancakes. This gets away from the traditional frying. Falafels have so much flavor and are made from garbonzo bean flour. Just check the label as they vary.

Thanks.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny I was just looking at gluten free, rice flour pancake mixes about an hour ago. One had dextrose, the other had potato starch, and another was white rice rather than brown. I would miss the maple syrup flavor though. What can we do about that? [Wink]
Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You can mix about 1/4 tsp of maple syrup in with some hazelnut oil (or other nut oil). The flavor goes a long way. Be sure to use REAL maple syrup. No imitations.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sad1
Member # 26837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sad1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Keebler..sorry but I'm new to this site and I hear your one of the most knowledgeable. Would you mind a private em so I could you ask you a question? thanks!
Posts: 23 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So we would just blend all those ingredients together and throw on stove top?

(sorry I'm new to pancakes)
Plus I'm a guy... so cooking doesn't come natural haha

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Real guys cook, too. It's a bit more involved than tossing it in a pan. It's very simple but still too exhausting for me to explain, though.

sad1,

Sorry, I just can't do "PM"s - I'm just so exhausted and it's really a huge responsibility to be be the sole person providing an answer. And, that concentrated effort really takes more than I have in my energy bank.

It may well be a very quick and easy question but, usually, that then just opens up my brain files, so to speak, trying to consider all aspects.

I'm also very limited to the topics of ears, seizures, liver support and herbal supplements. I'm no poster child of success, either but have learned from some bumps on the head.

If you post a new thread with your question, you will have the opportunity for many replies from many who are very bright or who have experiences to share and lighten your load.

If I have energy enough or know anything about that, I'll add in my two cents.

Hope that works. It's all I can do. And, with the wealth of good brains here - and all that experience - you'll have a better chance.

Many past threads here may also offer you some answers. I see that you posted in "seeking a doctor" regarding ALS. ALS is a frequent topic here with many thread and good links. Whether about ALS - or something else - you can search here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/search/search_forum/1

LymeNet Archives -- Look in the subject line of the medical forum.

==============

http://scholar.google.com/

Google Scholar will also give you a better quality of cross-searching, with a few less commercial hits. If the term lyme does not bring up what you want, try "borrelia"
-

richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a guy and do most of the home made cooking in the house. [Smile] I love it.

On the PCs...

I just mix all in a bowl and let sit a few minutes.....letting it a sit a bit is key here. They kind of have a bisquit taste to them...not super fluffy but really satisfies.

I am a bit worried about the quinoa flakes being refined but I am not sure how I would try whole quinoa other than blending in the blender as I have done with another recipe calling for Whole oats.

I tried no baking powder or soda....was afraid it might be too refined.

I hope my topping of frozen(thawed)berries and Earth Balance is OK.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abigail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it okay to add blueberries?

--------------------
Dying is easy. Living is harder.

Posts: 257 | From owensboro kentucky | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the flakes aren't flour, right?

I have quinoa... but i don't think it's flakes.

Unfortunately I have a bad feeling this recipe won't work for my hypoglycemia : (

Obviously I would throw in a few more eggs to get some extra protein. But anything floury or flaky I'm supposed to avoid.

Hmm maybe I'll try for ish and giggles.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Oh and richedie... you should use Almond Breeze Original

It has 7g of sugar... but it's so slow digesting that it won't hurt ya.

I'm super hypoglycemic and had to deal with yeast but still drank coconut milk (this brand only).

The unsweetened brand uses tapioca starch. That's no good. you're better off using the real kind.

Just make sure its ORIGINAL and not vanilla or chocolate(that will be 15g sugar)

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
canefan, the amino acid (protein) ratio in even flakes from Quinoa help balance it. It's the highest amino acid content of any grain.

With eggs, and oil, that further balances it. It should be fine regarding glycemic index.

You can do a search and compare labels. My experience with even plain quinoa flakes and hot water (when traveling), was that the flakes never, ever messed with my blood sugar. It fact it really helped to keep hypoglycemia from dropping me to the ground. I felt very nourished.

Still, there are many ways you can make the whole grain, too, as a cereal or side-dish. For traveling, nothing beats quinoa flakes for their versatility.
-

sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What!? The unsweetened almond breeze is no good? I don't think I know about tapioca starch.
Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Has as much protein as an egg and 12% of your daily need for fiber, adding to glucose stability.
-------------------

http://www.truefoodsmarket.com/product_info.php/products_id/1302

Bulk Quinoa Flakes, Organic

Serving Size: 1/2 cup (42 g)

Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g 9.8%

Dietary Fiber 3 g 12.3%

Sugars 1 g

Protein 5.7 g 11.4%

Iron 21.9%

Magnesium 22.4%

Phosphorus 17.5%

Potassium 9%

Zinc 9%
-

canefan17
Member # 22149

sickpuppy,

I'm sure it's ok for ya...

I just avoid starches all together.
and almond milk is the rare case where I can have the sugar content because of Almond Milk's glycemic index and how slowly it's absorbed.

And in this case.... why NOT enjoy the taste of Almond Breeze's Original Flavor(it's sooooo good)!

No dextrose, sucralose, maltodextrin, starches.

I think just evaporated cane juice

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A lot of soy and almond milk ADDS an ungodly amount of brown rice syrup. No one needs that in a milk. That's why it's important that it be labeled unsweetened, to be sure it's not loaded with added syrup, even if from brown rice, it's just too sweet and so unnecessary.
-

canefan17
Member # 22149

The almond milk I have has NO syrup.

Here are the ingredients:

purified water, evaporated cane juice, almonds, tricalcium phosphate, sea salt, potassium citrate, carrageenan, soy lecithin, Vit A palmitate, Vitamin D-2, (Natural Vitamin E)

canefan17
Member # 22149

I just bought Quinoa Flour

They grind up the Quinoa grain.

I'll make the pancakes tomorrow morning and let you guys know : )

I might add some flaxseed to it.

richedie
Member # 14689

Personally I would stay away from anything that is FLOUR! No matter what...it is refined/processd in my mind. Even Dr. B says nothing that is flour should go into your body.

I use Ancient Harvest Quinoa flakes but I might investigate using more whole quinoa or even amaranth.

So I wonder if baking powder or baking soda is OK?

On the Almond Milk...I use Almond Dream, Unsweetened. Hardly any ingredients beyond almonds, compared to other brands.

Avoid things like rice syrup, evaporated cane juice and carrageenan.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Q: " . . . baking powder or baking soda is OK?"

Yes, get aluminum free. These are salts, basically, that poof up your culinary delight.

You will need both baking powder and also baking soda (use far less of this). They are not the same at all but work together. You may also still need a pinch of salt (and perhaps a touch of white vinegar).
-

canefan17
Member # 22149

richedie,

Ingredients: almond base (filtered water, almonds), tricalcium phosphate, natural almond flavor with other natural flavors, sea salt, gellan gum, vitamin E, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin B12, vitamin D2.

Contains almond.

^^ Ingredients to your almond milk. I'm curious what "natural flavors" are : )

And ya, you're probably right about the quinoa flour.

What's the reasoning behind why we need to avoid even QUINOA FLOUR? They process/grind the seed into flour.

This is bad for us??

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great idea, rich!!

Now... it won't affect or help grow yeast???

cane.. which almond milk brand were you referring to?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Almond Breeze Original by Blue Diamond
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This now comes in refrigerated cartons at some stores. I prefer that as the lining is different, not a teflon-like plastic as the shelf cartons have.

Almond milk is also very easy to make, fresh, so there's not the issue of what kind of vat or carton it sat in for weeks or months.

A good blender and a strainer are all that's needed. Soak almonds overnight (I put in fridge) and rinse before plopping into a fresh water bath to turn into a milk. What's left in the strainer can be used in oats, soups, etc.

Walnuts and pecans do not have to be soaked and are easy on the blender. Vary.

Note, though, that some with herpes or other mouth sores may not do great with nuts.

And, when using a blender, be sure to wear ear plugs or decibel-rated ear muffs to avoid hearing and inner ear damage. Seriously.
-

cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
these sound good,

I just googled the ingredients for Almond dream- unsweetened- my concern is the other natural flavors listed
----------------------------------------------

Ingredients: almond base (filtered water, almonds), tricalcium phosphate, natural almond flavor with other natural flavors, sea salt, gellan gum, vitamin E, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin B12, vitamin D2.

Contains almond.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

I am doing some research on the Almond Dream ingredients.

Also, I picked up some Almond flour tonight to try in my pancake mix in place of the quinoa!

My doctor said flour is OK if not a grain.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

richedie
Member # 14689

What do you all think about Cream of Buckwheat, or almond flour?

Some recipe changes:
This is a recipe for one.
1 cup quinoa flakes or almond flour
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup almond milk or water (experiment with amount)
1-2T oil
1/4 tsp sea salt
Stevia(I use 2-3 little scoops with the included scooper)
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking pwd
dash cinnamon
I top with Earth Balance and some berries.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Almond flour is just finely ground almonds. But, be sure nothing is added. Almond "meal" is usually how it is labeled.

Do not expect it to hold together for baking. It is just nuts.

As for Cream of Buckwheat, you can buy raw buckwheat groats and get a more complex grain. I do better with the whole groats vs. the ground up version. But each has its place.

As a side dish for dinner, groats can be a nice change. It's rather light, really, and the whole groats can cook in about 20 minutes. You can season in a variety of ways.

Buckwheat is not really a grain but from the legume family (beans). Wild rice is really a grass.

How to determine the glycemix index of ANY thing, do a cross search at Google with the name of the food and "glycemic index" - or, if it has a box or bag with a nutrition label, take a look at that and compare your choices.

Also look at the mineral content and choose the ones that pack the most power. The cookbooks above also tell you more about the nutrients and how to cook those.

"The Enchanted Broccoli Forest" is the one that got me started on all this. "Moosewood" also is good.
-

WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys,
I dont want to spam-- but it seems like a topic that people are interested in. I write a blog where I cook with gluten free, grain free, sugar free--- basically everything free, LOL. Its a really good diet for Lyme. I have some pancakes with only Flax and egg whites. If you interested :-)
http://whitskitch.blogspot.com

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Keebler, thanks...I adjusted my reciper above.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

richedie
Member # 14689

Are we sure these pancakes are totally safe...how about with almond flour? Seem so decadent! I know Dr. B says NO FLOUR at all!
The topping is the tough part!

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Almond flour is NOT really flour. It is just ground nuts - just short of being almond butter by using a different grinding tool.

Check the label. It should be just almonds. Here's a very good brand:
-----------------

http://www.bobsredmill.com/almond-meal-flour.html

Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal/Flour

Almond Meal/Flour is simply raw blanched whole almonds that have been ground into a fine powder.
-

richedie
Member # 14689

Yep, got it at whole foods! GREAT, I can have even better pancakes that won't feed the yeast! Expensive though. I topped it with blueberries though.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

canefan17
Member # 22149

So how'd you make these pancakes?

Using the almond flour

richedie
Member # 14689

I did it both ways! [Smile]

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

richedie
Member # 14689

I don't know how to eat any longer. I FEEL much better on a vegetarian diet and I carry more muscle too. On meat and veggies I can't get the calories I require which can be 4-5,000 calories a day. That's too much meat! Heck I could eat a whole chicken and veggies in one sitting and be starving in an hour. I have a fast metabolism and have been bodybuilding since I was 17 so my body demands massive amounts of calories.

I saw a nutritionist who talked about how she has gotten many people well with Lyme and co infections working with an LLMD and using a mostyl vegetarian diet. We talked grains and she sais whole intact grains like oat grouts, buckwheat grouts, etc will not edge on candida. She said only the processed grains and sugar will. In fact she pointed out a few studies that showed vegetarians have much higher amounts of good bacteria where meat eaters have much lower levels and their systems are way more acidic. She told me I'd be better eating vegetarian/vegan, only whole intact grains, whole starchy veggies like real potatoes, no fake or processed products, veggies some fruit, etc......with some organic meat here and there.

I don't know what to do any longer. I added these pancakes to get added calories and to feel satisfied for once. [Frown]

"I found this info which is referenced in some books I have and on peer reviewed sites.
In short, ``friendly'' bacteria prefer to dine on plant-food remnants, and pathogens thrive when the diet is low in plant foods and high in meat and other ``junk-food.'' Therefore, what we choose to eat determines the predominance of the bacteria species that will live in our gut. By changing from a diet based on animal- and highly processed-foods to whole plant-foods, you can suppress the growth of harmful bacteria and stimulate those that are beneficial. Major alterations in the microflora take place within one to two weeks of changing a person's diet.
Because only plants contain these microflora-nourishing sugars, strict vegetarians (vegans) have been found to harbor much higher counts of ``friendly'' bacteria than do meat eaters.6,7
"

[ 07-11-2010, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: richedie ]

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Ahodge01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahodge01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I know this is an old topic but I'm having some trouble here finding out what to use...

I bought quoina flour... The box said it is just stone ground quiona and I'm using almond milk by whole foods seems to be no extra flavors and <1 g of sugar. Are these ok?

Posts: 286 | From St. Louis | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buckwheat is not a grain, it's a seed.

I buy the gluten free Buckwheat flour at Whole Foods (Bouchard Farm, grown in Maine).
I make pancakes as follows:

1 cup Bouchard Farm buckwheat flour
4 T dried buttermilk powder
1/2 t aluminum free baking soda
1/4 t xanthan gum

Stir the dry ingredients together and add:

1 cup water
1 egg
1 T olive oil

Whisk well. Cook on seasoned iron skillet.
(Makes 5 large pancakes or slightly more)

Everyone who has tried these cannot believe they are buckwheat and not fluffy light wheat! They really are good.
Buckwheat strengthens veins and capillaries. It's a healthy food.

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Almond Breeze Original is great! 7g sugar

But it's low glycemic index so shouldn't affect yeast too bad.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement