LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Were most of us very healthy people until we got Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Were most of us very healthy people until we got Lyme?
BackinStOlaf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember always getting perfect blood tests, barely ever getting sick, never had surgery ..

except for a few bouts of yeast infections, I was in great health. Then a stupid bug bites me and my life goes to shambles. How frustrating!!

sorry, I am wallowing in self pity lately.. [Frown]

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirk
Member # 24483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a healthy active person who rarely got sick up until last sept., when I suddenly fell apart.

Now I have allergies (which I never had in my life), and of course all the lyme and babesia stuff.

Nothing seems to work right anymore.

Posts: 41 | From astoria, new york | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninjaphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was not. I was tired and ill even before Lyme. Infact I think I may have had a chronic infection of some sort for a very long time ...
Posts: 330 | From Colorado, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep! Competitive triathlete and swimmer, rarely cought any cold, flu, or anything else everyone was getting. I had mild asthma- that was it.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaMelvis
Member # 26818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaMelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, sure was. I think that makes this road all the more depressing--at least for me. I did have thyroid issues prior.

--------------------
~*Melvis*~

`

Posts: 80 | From Midwest | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel on the fence with this one:

Before I got sick, I did nothing to promote good health. For example, I was a sedentary smoker.

But I was very robust, didn't get sick (or at least didn't need to slow down when I did). And my bloodwork all looked good, often at the surprise of doctors.

I was a "work hard, play hard" kind of person.

I'm greatly improved with treatment though sill not out of the woods. It drives me nuts how "fragile and sensitive" I am now, totally different than before!

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep... Me, too. 100%
Used to drag & cut 12 foot logs of red oak in the fall out of an adjacent "stump dump" for firewood.
Was hardly ever sick.

Never a needed 'script' med before the Lyme.
Now I gotta take a daily Synthroid... and often a bit of something for sleep.

I feel I aged 3 years in 8 months [of recovery].
:oldmanwithbeard: <-Oh...how I wish!

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kete-tracker, right with you used to work all day come home chop rick of wood.
I was total jock, right to Cliff diver,whitewater,swimmer,snorkeler,surfer,A tennis player,horses,riding,dance for 3 hrs.
You name it did it. I could not even understand why people waisted too many hrs sleeping or napping.
If someone said lets go in 5 min. jump in shower ready to go, always teased never saw woman get ready so fast.
Now lucky to take a shower or get out without falling. Lucky in AM to find Bathroom,ha sigh.

That is truly 1 hard parts.
My girlfriend said had to be so much harder for me because she was stay at home gal. So not as hard that way.

Yep, for us really active I mean I owned 3 businesses & went to college all time on top of it. So is huge loss for us who were so active.

Good Luck to all, doubt we will ever quite see those days again. If find cure too old to be able to do, will be tad ****ed then....ha
Even though work daily for next generation to get helped.
Hugggsss,To ALL in Need,Kerry

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that makes it even harder for me to accept is that I am a city girl, never hike or do sports and such ...one day I decide to go in the woods with some friends in the Hamptons and POW!
life changes.

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was extremely active and healthy. The only thing wrong with me was I had mild asthma most of my life. Even with that I ran, played golf, worked 40 hours a week, travelled, etc.

I never ever took antibiotics. I hated them and always stirred clear of them as much as possible.

Now I've been taking them for over 2 years. Never would have believed that would ever happen.

I went from being happy, healty and living a very busy life, to being disabled all in one day.

Its such a bizarre thing!

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, I was extremely healthy and active pre-lyme! Coached lots of sports, ran triathlons, etc. Ate right, got plenty of sleep, never smoked or did illegal drugs, worked out every day, etc. 'Very frustrating! [Frown]

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Healthy as a horse and tough as nails. I weighed 108 lbs and could pack 100lb bags, toss bails of

straw, work 18 hrs. a day and get up to do it again.

We had bought our little corner in the woods, and built a lg. barn for storage/work.

A small barn to work.

A 2 story garage to live in while we built a cabin.

Built pens for animals and did it all ourselves except foundations---from cutting the trees to hauling the lumber from the logs to work with.

Lyme sucks the life right out of you.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Back. With that being your story, it certainly sounds like you are one of those people who attract ticks.

We are the ones who get lyme disease. We actually attract them because we produce pheromones that attract them.

The world famous pediatric lyme doc, Dr. J, stated this in an interview that was on LymeNet at one time a few years ago.

He said that he can get rid of lyme for ALL children, but, they WILL get it again because the children that get lyme produce pheromones that attract ticks.

So, you and I have to adjust our lifestyles due to this fact. My husband can go all over our yard, do whatever, and never get a tick on him. I stand on the paved driveway for 20 minutes and walk in the house and find 2 ticks on my upper leg.

I pull a few weeds (for 10 seconds) and a tick is on the top of my hand.

I found an embedded tick on me 2 weeks after completing my lyme treatment. Had to get the head cut out of me.

Then, in Aug. 2008, I got another bite from pulling weeds for a few seconds. Never saw a tick. Got bulls eye rash and had to go on lyme meds for 30 days--treated for lyme, babs, and bart. Had a herx and all.

So, here I keep getting bit, and my hubby gets nothing.

This is important for all those with lyme to understand. For us, no more going in the woods, standing in or near tall grass, etc.

No more gardening without insect repellant on AT ALL TIMES. My lyme doc recommends Avon Skin So Soft insect repellant.

I was healthy before lyme, and I am healthy again now. Only now I have osteopenia. No symptoms, just working on getting back bone mass through exercise, drinking milk, and taking Fosamax.

Lyme stole 5 years of my life. I don't ever want to get bitten again.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement