LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Best place to Live if you have Chronic Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best place to Live if you have Chronic Lyme?
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
??
Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeffe
Member # 13034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not the woods?
Posts: 23 | From mass | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Where the IDSA does not exist.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler is right.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where you live now .... most Lymies are too tired to move and can't take the stress.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Six is probably right.

I think it would be good to live where there were lots of other people who knew they had chronic Lyme.

It would be kind of scary to live where it is so common, though.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Dream is to Make enough money to build a toxin free community for people to live in that have lyme

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trout, you can just have everyone take the AI drops GiGi recommends. Problem solved. Toxicity in the world goes away!!
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Join the Sierra Club; buy organic, etc. We have to demand a less toxic world. We vote by what we buy and bring into our homes, our lives.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first thought was - the best place to live is where there are more LLMDs but where there are more LLMDs there are more ticks!!

Maybe some states have better laws to protect Lyme patients.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Lyme is officially not allowed in my state. Not one LLMD. The state medical board keeps a very close watch.

Are you thinking of moving? Is that the purpose of your thread?

If so, check out the different states' lyme sites and talk to some of the leaders.

Or - were you wanting to know what state has fewer ticks (which can change over time)? But, moving is very stressful and then, if your doctor retires or moves, you're stuck.

Since I was diagnosed, with no LLMD in my state, I've explored where I would go for treatment (were I to win the lottery). Four out of six LLMDs I considered are now no longer there.

If you want very serious answers for a fact-finding thread, you might say so. Otherwise you may just get off the cuff remarks.
-

littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with a previous poster about living where there was more LLMD's would be good until you think about how that means there are more ticks.

I use to live in Northern VA where there are more doctors but there are a ton of ticks. I hate the people and the traffic. And I hate how everything is so fast up there.

People down in the south are nicer, don't have traffic where I'm at and people just move slower. Sometimes too slow.

I guess I have to weigh the good with the bad. I could travel up north to find a good LLMD and still live in my nice quiet town or I could move up north and pay $6 for a 12 pack of coke (when I can buy a 24 pack for $5.48 here) and spend a ton more on groceries, gas, and living expenses.

I wish the medical community would just open their minds-and hearts and learn about this disease.

I plan on educating anyone I can-for the rest of my life-sick or not.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love your question. I have asked myself the same thing ever since being diagnosed.

Actually, I have always wanted to move to a warmer climate year-round and a place where I could be outside all the time. A place with lots of parks and near the ocean.

Once I did a google search of the best places to live and I found a site that lets you enter your criteria and then you are given a list of suggestions. It was only fanciful thinking on my part though as my husband and I are so firmly rooted in Maryland and he has no intention of even taking a vacation out of state let alone moving.

So that is why I enjoyed your question. I have always wanted to move.

For me, I think the Charleston SC area would be ideal. It is warm year round, beautiful, charming and yet close enough that I could still return easily enough to see my LLMD.

Did you have a place in mind that you would like to live? Just curious.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greengirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greengirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always feel better in the desert, so dream of AZ, NM.

However, I agree about having LLMDs nearby...NY metro seems to be a good area...just make sure it's an urban area.

Posts: 252 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a ton of ticks, but none of them carry LD! They refuse to carry it! They tried to offer it to them, but they formed a union. HA!

But seriously no LLMDs here. So I say the best place to live is near a LLMD so you don't have to travel. You can't escape LD, they thrive in all environments!

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Montana there are no deer ticks but the wood ticks carry lyme. The good news is you can see a wood tick easier than a deer tick. The bad news is you cannot get treatment here as the medical community is still convinced this is in the lyme free zone. Traveling is expensive. And it is very dark in winter which is when my symptoms get worse. Like virus' I believe these bacteria multiply more in winter.

So I would go to the tropics in the winter to get lots of vitamin D. But I can't travel - too stressful. So the best place for me is here.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erikjh1972
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erikjh1972     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well here in RI insurance companies cant deny treatment for lyme disease but try to find a DR. here that knows WTH they are talking about!!

--------------------
3 months Doxy
8 months of Tetra
7 months of Biaxin/Plaq.
4 months Doxy/Biaxin/Plaq.
5 months Biaxin/Plaq.
Back on Doxy/Biax/Plaq
On the road to recovery.
Trying to make people Lyme Aware.......

Posts: 289 | From R.I. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Costa Rica.

Weather is wonderful... the place is absolutely beautiful (mountains, coast line and flowers galore)... and cost of living is cheap.

No IDiot ducks to thwart your ability to treat yourself when you are sick.

And you can purchase your antibiotics when you need them right over-the-counter without a prescription.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steelbone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steelbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Costa Rica sounds awesome

--------------------
All The Best,
Paul
[email protected]

The harder you work the luckier you get!

Posts: 965 | From Nebraska Cornhuskers fan in Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd Live in my inground POOL!!
Posts: 501 | From Hudson Ticky Valley, NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA great answers.

I am losing my home so I HAVE TO move out .. I am in AZ but wanted to move for a long time. I am lucky as in I just started feeling better and it will not be easy but I think I can handle a move with help.

I though am thinking of finding somewhere with a even climate and of course not a tick infected area. Finding LLMDS well like you all said is hard to keep up on etc.

I do have trusted doctors here and that I would hate to loose for sure even though I am so hoping not to need them near as much..

I have family in NM and I may end up there "until" i can decide for sure..

CA is too busy and crazy and crowded for me and I hope to find a middle sized town... or smaller sized even but not tiny...

Also cost of living is to be considered when I can not work.

Yeah its complicated but also simple question

Love the idea of Costa Rica and was even considering out of the USA. I can always come back .. ya know.

My kids are grown as of 2 years ago.. Whew. So that makes me quite free.. They all are talking abut moving to various places so that is not why i would stay because they may be "going" anyway.

Not an easy decision or choice. I do not mind going where I do not know people. That is not an issue.

I have looked up those sites that tell you the top best towns to consider for various reasons.

My home born down of Ann Arbor Michigan was on it.

I just can not see moving somewhere just because a LLMD is there.. Then again I am kinda spoiled because I do have various choices where I am.

So... Well. It would be nice to be able to travel to towns for a bit of time and then see how you like it. .. Maybe I will do that.. 6 months at a time ... its doable..

Maybe not with my dog whom I am finding apartments are picky when you have an american staffordshire lab mix..

Thanks again.

Maybe I can come stay with each of you! HAHAHA Just kidding

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TroutScout,

Let us know when you get that toxic-free zone going, ok? You can count us in!

While your at it, maybe you could convince a few good llmds to come along for the ride.

There would be plenty of us for them to work on, and hopefully a cure.

It would be wonderful to have so many friends and neighbors who truly understoood....

Lymenet is great, but I'd rather have everyone right next door.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next to a Good LLMD's office.
Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Spring,

I am like you, I will have to move somewhere within the next year. I am single. I will tell you that if you live alone, and don't have family or someone you can pay to help you, it is very hard not living in a town with a LLMD.

I have to have someone to drive me. My LLMD is closing her doors (she was already three hours away). Now I am 6 hours from an LLMD, and it is a major problem.

Just consider it...

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Columbia, SC. We moved here about a year & 1/2 ago. I didn't think I would like it but I do. It's cheap & there's plenty of history & cultural stuff. It's very hot in the summer. It's actually drier than I thought it would be but it does get sticky. Winter is fairly temperate.

There's a big university in this city & a few healthfood stores. Natropathic medicine is illegal in the state - so, you are on your own as far as doctors if you want something alternative. I don't have one here. Dr J used to have a clinic here but he moved to Washington, DC. I don't think they know much about Lyme in SC.

You need a car. Mass transit is not so easy. In some ways it's very out of the mainstream but I like that people are very friendly for the most part. Southern hospitality...

Charleston is really quaint but the northern part is probably pretty toxic. There's a shipyard & historically, they had alot of industry there. I'm kind of worried about hurricanes there, too.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When they build that space station...

Truly, I'd move where I have felt the most happiness and have the best support system. AND access to a great, great LLMD.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sparkle,

I enjoyed your post. SC sounds like everything I thought it was. One of these days I would like to live in Charleston. [Smile]

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leelee- It's a really interesting state! It's very different than all the other places I've been. I'm enjoying it.

There are some things you have to get used to. The heat is one thing... When I see a nice sunny day, I want to spend time outside. It's too hot to stay outside in the summer, though. You can get heat stroke.

It's sunny alot. The weather is nice in the winter. It gets chilly but doesn't get too cold for very long. Charleston is really something special. It reminds me of Europe, especially Holland in some ways. It's called "the Low Country". The cuisine is fabulous. It's a bit more expensive than the rest of the state.

I do miss the spring & fall. It's not like up north during those seasons.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe in Death Valley on a pile of rocks with no grass? Not many ticks there. Not good if you're on doxy, though, and you have to do a whole lot of driving.

Or in an urban city with public transportation, health food/herbal stores, a Lyme support group, organic food delivery, and maybe an LLMD to boot? (Okay, that city might be located on Mars, but still, haha.)

Lyme is everywhere (almost), and every place has its pros and cons. I think the best place would be somewhere that you have supportive family or friends who can be there for you emotionally and help with logistics. Or if that's not possible, then someplace where the surroundings cheer you and make you feel good.

If you don't have a support system, then you can try to create one if you're able to make new friends wherever you end up.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously?

Likely Alaska.

Cold...get the friggin inflammation down...too much ouch.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Seriously.. Yes

So the colder the less inflammation.

And even though I do not like the cold I do think its a good idea

AZ is hot hot and hotter..

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
(Nearly year round) cooler states like Washington and Oregon are only cool on the west side of the Cascade mountain range, hot to the east side.

The western side is also more moldy, due to lots of rain and trees.

And, Oregon has not one LLMD. it's just not allowed. Oregon is one of the very worst places to live if one has lyme. Doctors are terrible to lyme patients, every step of the way. They also know nothing about other tick-borne infections.

(There are a couple of ILADS-educated LL NDs - naturopathic doctors, though).

Northern Minnesota and the states to her east and west are frigid in the winter - maybe in the summer but the Minnesota state bird really is the mosquito - and very few LLMDs there. I hear the same for Michigan and Wisconsin. Very few LLMDs.
-

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bb would like mold...your exposure would likely trigger a very strong reaction.

If you dare...skim my post today about N,N-diacetylchitobiose permease - Bb has this...I explain what it is and more importantly where it comes FROM.

Scroll down to the area that talks about dust mites, etc.

This is why you react very strongly to chitin.

The presence of chitin makes a nice home for Bb in the tick.

Google these words:

chitin borrelia tick

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Just so you don't feel bad... I was ill for many years in NJ before anyone ever mentioned Lyme. I got a clinical diagnosis in CT from the Fibromyalgia & Fatigue Center... It took 9 years.

I'm still not convinced I really have Lyme. NJ is only a short distance from Lyme, CT - ground zero for tick infections. There really aren't alot of LLMDs in the NY/NJ area, either.

If you do find them, they usually are cash only. So, if you have insurance - it doesn't really help. Unless someone (doctor, regular person, or other practitioner) has experienced Lyme - they just don't consider it as a big deal.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Marnie,

Thanks so much for the detail. I took a look and made a date with Google to explore your suggested search. Wow. Lots of links.

I so love all the trees - and the rain - of NW Oregon. I hear that dryer climates would be better but, for now, I sure love the on-gong blanket of trees.

I felt I got clobbered more by humidity when I lived near St. Louis. It's just cooler in Oregon and only rainy from October through June - so I don't notice it as much as if it were during summer months.

Interesting, with Dr. S (neurotoxin doc) I tested as genetically a "mold" person. That's why he thought I'd do horrible with antibiotics. I do better with herbs, for sure.

More to study. That date with Google right after a rest.
-

groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mexico -

Cheap ABX - No script needed -

Mexican National Health Insurance cost
$300 per year --

Good Food - Great coast line- Nice weather-

To make a living-- buy US made drugs
at 1/10th the price in Mexico and sell them back
to Americans threw the mail at 1/5th the price -

Nice --Jay-->

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
muddyfeet
Member # 26633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for muddyfeet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am curious

Do places like Costa Rica and Mexico have LLMDs? People trained there or here who are now located there?

Does anyone know of an international list of LLMDs?

I was planning on moving to Mexico before I became ill. To have that as an option again would actually add a bit of hope and joy to my life.

--------------------
Labcorp 6/10: IgM + 41, 39, 23

IGenex 7/10:
IFA Ind
IGenex/CDC IgM +:
18+, 23-25+, 30+, 31+++, 34++, 39++, 41++, 58++, 66+, 83-93+
IGenex IgG +:
31+, 34 IND, 41++, 58+

No memory of tick/rash. Sick 1/09. Diagnosed CFIDS 7/09. Diagnosed Lyme 7/10.

Posts: 56 | From San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where there are LLMDs covered by INSURANCE.
Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minerva
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minerva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ive been thinking about moving for the last couple of years. its scary for much of the reasons everyone here has talked about.

i live where there are so many resources and i have a good doctor. so, i am lucky. there is even 3 support groups here, but its expensive and i have to think about stretching my money over time.

my county also has the highest rate of breast cancer and has high rates of multiple health problems...makes one wonder what is going on here...possibly all the pesticides from grapes.

i also think about what its going to look like long term due do climate change. maybe silly to think about because who knows how long i have here on the planet but i think about droughts and the like.

i use to travel a lot. kind of fearless of change, making friends, starting new. now all these things scare the heck out of me.

Posts: 161 | From sonoma county | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Minerva- I can relate to that... It is scary to pick up & go someplace new. I like where I am now better than where I was. You always lose some things & gain new things wherever you go.

CA is very expensive from what I hear. They are also going through a very bad financial situation from what I read. Kind of mind boggling with all those wealthy people in Silicon Valley & Hollywood...

I never knew that about the pesticides. I heard about it a while back in the large growing areas but I always imagined Sonoma as being a kind of paradise... LOL

Toxic hot spots are everywhere these days. Kind of hard to escape it. We just have to do what we can to protect ourselves. We do have to consider climate change. That's why we don't want to live near the coast here - like in Charleston.

If there's a bad hurricane - it could be another New Orleans type scenario...

springshowers
Member # 19863

I would love to know about international lyme doctors too.

Muddyfeet -WHere in Mexico where you thinking of moving ??

bv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by springshowers:
??

You could move to OHIO. We don't have LD here. I know because the idiot ID docs say so.

They think LD stops at the Penna. border.

According to the ID docs, LD carrying ticks won't cross into Ohio because the ticks are geographically sophisticated.

They recognize the state border and if they accidentally cross into Ohio they immediately turn around & go back to Penna., or W.Va., or Kentucky, or Indiana because we don't have Lyme in Ohio.

Posts: 213 | From ohio | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Springshowers,

I tried to send you a PM but your mailbox is full.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not somewhere that requires mucho snow shoveling. Haven't the energy or strength for that!

Being a lonely ex-pat can be tough emotionally, but being a person with CLD in the USA is torturous on many levels.

*Heavy sigh*

I often ponder best places to live... Geographically and politically, like where I am now.

Still yearn for paradise, and I think we Lymies will create pockets of paradise on Earth.

Remember to Smile!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched a youtube video with Dr. R. from NY said that RI has the laws to protect LLMDs... wonder why there aren't more LLMDs in RI?

If I were an LLMD, I would want to be in a state that protects me!

I like where I live. My son has a great peds LLMD. As for adults... no LLMD for 200 miles.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
one4islands
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for one4islands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel weather plays a huge role in my symptoms.

Last year I felt my usual aches, pains and incredible headaches right up to the day of departure for our annual Caribbean island trip.

When we got there I had none of the annoying symptoms for the entire visit.

Many said it was due to lack of stress and that was not so.

We had accommodation issues the first few days of our trip and I was moody and stressed, but pain free.

I swear if I had the money I'd move farther south or preferably to an island.

There is something about the clean air, saltwater and sunshine that is the best medicine possible.

Posts: 412 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to laugh at Keebler saying Oregan "ONLY" has rain from October to June! Montana has the cloud cover all that time but no rain. I believe it contributes to making me sick. No vitamin D and no light.

Costa Rica sounds intriguing. I don't want to worry about getting my head chopped off in Mexico. I want to take a vacation somewhere in winter, to a place that is warm and SUNNY.

I agree with what you are saying on4islands. Getting into that direct sunshine with some vitamin D would probably do more for me than a visit to a LLMD ( which costs just as much as I have to travel by air).

The LLMDs I have seen were pretty worthless anyway. No one has ever given me a treatment that I did not plan to get anyway (like the mepron and zithro now) and they don't follow up on me. All they are good for is a script.

If I don't need one in Costa Rica, why pay someone thousands to give me what I can get for a fraction of the cost in a paradise vacation resort!?

I could buy all of my abx at a fraction of the cost which would probably cover the costs of the trip. Why didn't I think of this before!!!

We could all reserve a lodge and have a get together every winter! Things are looking up.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iamgreek
Member # 29517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iamgreek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warm weather , stay in the sun !!!
Posts: 85 | From Long Branch NJ | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree warm, dry weather with the least changes in the barometric pressure. Those are usually desert areas the have high and steady barometric pressure.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have several places: a dream where lyme and all coinfections had been irradicated along with the IDSA. More realistically, a beach house off the florida cost. Nothing is healthier then natures big swimming pool. I really liked sedona arizona, both warm and dry and just had a great feeling there.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Per Dr. K.: "Mold is bigger than Lyme". Have to remove mycotoxins. He has been talking about it for years. http://wipeoutnow.com/2010/02/mold-and-emf/#more-186

Where did my thread on "allergic to wireless" go?
Anyone know?

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi - I just did a search and found your "allergic to wireless" here:
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/102656

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anartica...er, is that how it's spelled??

well anyway bet it doesn't have lyme...

but i wouldn't want to live there.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inside a deer?...since they don't get this?

--------------------
Urge Congress on EMF Safety, FCC Must Change Exposure Guidelines for Microwave Radiation Exposure: http://tinyurl.com/2cjq54y
Halt Universal Broadband, A Public Health Hazard:
http://tinyurl.com/3x7xrmq

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this post. I've been wondering the same thing myself. I would say don't come to Michigan. Cloud cover most of the year, damp conditions, mold issues. This summer has been the worst with a flooded basement. And there is very little Lyme awareness. Though Ann Arbor is by far the best place to be if you do come here. Open minded people at least, good holistic medicine, health food stores.

I do have a good doc and LLMD, though I guess like Ohio we don't have Lyme here. The ticks have this amazing ability to hop from the New England area, pass by Michigan, and land in Wisconsin. Or maybe it's the deer that do that. Either way, I'm sure it's an impressive sight to see but sadly I've never seen it just like I've never seen Santa Claus.

What about Maui? Expensive, but paradise.

--------------------
Just a catepillar, full of imaginal buds.

Posts: 143 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura_W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear that someone in michigan is happy with their doc besides Payne. LOL. West side of Michigan is closed minded. I soo need to move. I also have wondered about this.

I agree, that you don't want to move to Michigan.

I currently travel three hours each way to see my doc... which I see weekly. And, there are only 2 dr's in the entire state that are half way lyme literate (and that term is being used very loosly) that take my insurance.

--------------------
10/10 EIA 1.4+, 41 (IGG), 23 (IGM)
Bitten over 20 years ago.
Currently not treating, looking for a Dr who will work with my insurance lol.

More muscular, cognitive, nerve issues than joints. Facial droop and blurred vision.

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Laura,

I've got some good travel time too to see my doc. Figure gas money into treatment and it gets even more expensive.

That's great that your insurance covers your treatment and visits. I just got word back that all my claims were rejected. Seriously, what do I pay in for each month?

I lived on the West side for a couple years. Beautiful, but I agree with your sentiments. Come over to the east side [Smile]

--------------------
Just a catepillar, full of imaginal buds.

Posts: 143 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopesAlive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopesAlive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to move to the desert. No guarantees, but I love the heat, and maybe fewer ticks?

Here in Minnesota, we are still waiting for summer to arrive. Or maybe we are waiting for spring still? IDK. It is one of those disappointing years after two years in a row of summer-like months of May, and after a long, frigidly cold winter with literally tons of feet of snow. Now comes the rain. May as well be in Seattle, although I have never been there. Looking out my window at the clouds: cold, rainy, dreary. Got my winter robe back out last night. Just put it away in my "winter box" a few days ago.

All this rain will only bring on more ticks and more Minnesota state birds, "the dreaded misquito."

I want to move to the desert.

--------------------
Best Wishes,

Hope

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

~~The Shawshank Redemption~~

Posts: 234 | From Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a prison cell since it's all cement! Lol [Razz]
Posts: 129 | From West | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omg god! Whoever said Mexico.. Don't go there. That's were we figure I got this dreadful disease from some ticked off Mexican bug named Pedro! Lol
Posts: 129 | From West | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is generally agreed (me & 4 LL practitioners) that I actually got Lyme from the bite of a red fire ant in the Calif. desert...so moving to a desert does not guarantee no Lyme exposure risk...

For me, I prefer higher altitude (I strongly dislike the salty smell of ocean air). I miss the mountains whenever I'm not near any. Some of my best health was when I lived at about 4500' elevation...I miss the whole experience that I had while living there (my college years)...but I don't miss all the snow.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement