LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lone Star Tick Bite Can Cause Red Meat Allergy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lone Star Tick Bite Can Cause Red Meat Allergy
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009 Feb;123(2):426-33. Epub 2008 Dec 13.

Delayed anaphylaxis, angioedema, or urticaria after consumption of red meat in patients with IgE antibodies specific for galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose.

Commins SP, Satinover SM, Hosen J, Mozena J, Borish L, Lewis BD, Woodfolk JA, Platts-Mills TA.

Asthma and Allergic Diseases Center, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA, USA.

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Carbohydrate moieties are frequently encountered in food and can elicit IgE responses, the clinical significance of which has been unclear. Recent work, however, has shown that IgE antibodies to galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose (alpha-gal), a carbohydrate commonly expressed on nonprimate mammalian proteins, are capable of eliciting serious, even fatal, reactions.

OBJECTIVE: We sought to determine whether IgE antibodies to alpha-gal are present in sera from patients who report anaphylaxis or urticaria after eating beef, pork, or lamb.

METHODS: Detailed histories were taken from patients presenting to the University of Virginia Allergy Clinic. Skin prick tests (SPTs), intradermal skin tests, and serum IgE antibody analysis were performed for common indoor, outdoor, and food allergens.

RESULTS: Twenty-four patients with IgE antibodies to alpha-gal were identified. These patients described a similar history of anaphylaxis or urticaria 3 to 6 hours after the ingestion of meat and reported fewer or no episodes when following an avoidance diet.

SPTs to mammalian meat produced wheals of usually less than 4 mm, whereas intradermal or fresh-food SPTs provided larger and more consistent wheal responses.

CAP-RAST testing revealed specific IgE antibodies to beef, pork, lamb, cow's milk, cat, and dog but not turkey, chicken, or fish.

Absorption experiments indicated that this pattern of sensitivity was explained by an IgE antibody specific for alpha-gal.

CONCLUSION: We report a novel and severe food allergy related to IgE antibodies to the carbohydrate epitope alpha-gal.

These patients experience delayed symptoms of anaphylaxis, angioedema, or urticaria associated with eating beef, pork, or lamb.

PMID: 19070355 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See full story here

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/96914

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Meat "allergy" can also be a sign of porphyria, particular lack of an key enzyme the liver uses to metabolize red meat and certain medicines.

With porphyria, though, eating red meat can cause serious bowel and even neurological problems - so it's not like a peanut allergy.

"Secondary Porphyria" post is the one best read first.

===================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?

PORPHYRIA Thread - along with details about KPU/HPU (Mauve factor)
-

[ 09-18-2010, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. I was bitten by the lone star tick and now I cannot eat red meat. I get sick every time I eat it. I'll have to check out the above porphyria link too.
Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jklynd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jklynd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Related articles:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/19/AR2009101902874.html

http://www.walb.com/Global/story.asp?S=12885488

Joe

Posts: 249 | From Northern NJ | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 5 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes this stuff makes so much sense to me (my 11 yr exp). Other days not so much???? I've been puzzled for years why steak (which I love) started effecting me so badly.

My 2nd known tick attack happened in 05. I'm pretty positve I know Lone Star nymphs when I see them.

So began the GI issues. I belive that was the onset of bart overload????

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement