LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is anyone else REALLY hungy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is anyone else REALLY hungy?
richedie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel like I am never ever satisfied any longer....because of how restrictive my eating is these days. It is really impacting me psychologically. Anyone else going through this? What do you do? I am sick and tired of eating the same things day in and day out.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be yeast

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or parasites. I couldn't stop eating when I had parasites.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No you DON't understand! I have always eaten 4,000-5,000 calories a day even before getting sick. THAT is normal for someone actively bodybuilding and involved in other activities.

However, with my restricted diet I feel I can't eat enough because I can't eat what I want and am sick of the same foods. My calorie count is much lower now.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsatlast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsatlast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you want to try some calorically dense foods, how about snacking on trailmix made with raisins and nuts and a few M&M's or making a shake in the blender with a banana and some almond butter, milk and a scoop of ice cream.
Posts: 156 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

quote:
Originally posted by kidsatlast:
Well, if you want to try some calorically dense foods, how about snacking on trailmix made with raisins and nuts and a few M&M's or making a shake in the blender with a banana and some almond butter, milk and a scoop of ice cream.

Tried that...come on...don't you think I would eat those things if I could? If I could eat those things....this would be cake. How do you think I used to get 5,000 calories a day???

My doctor said no! No raisins, absolutely NO sugar which means no M&Ms, no bananas, NO ice cream!

I guess you haven't been through a course of antibiotics or you would know that those things are off the table if you want to avoid yeast issues. I have to only eat foods as they are in nature - whole foods. I eat nothing packaged these days, I make all my food...other than things like raw nuts, seeds, etc.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
My grandparents never ate processed foods or sugary foods and they always had plenty of food from their farm and garden. Some farmers deliver right to your door now, really. There are also more and more farmers' markets.

Here are some good cookbooks & sites - adaptations can be easily made with these. You might consider growing kitchen herbs so you have fresh rosemary, basil, fennel, etc. at your fingertips.
--------------------

www.jadedragon.com/articles/kitchenmed.html

Kitchen Medicine: Naturally Cooling Foods for Summer

- by Eytom Shalom, M.S., L.Ac.

=======================

www.christinacooks.com

CHRISTINA COOKS - Natural health advocate/ chef, Christina Pirello offers her comprehensive guide to living the well life.

Vegan, with a Mediterranean flair. Organic.

She was dx with terminal leukemia in her mid-twenties. Doctors said there was nothing more they could do. Among other things, she learned about complementary medicine and she learned how to cook whole foods. She recovered her health and is now a chef and professor of culinary arts.

She has program on the PBS network "Create" a couple times week. Check your PBS schedule.

To adapt: in the rare dishes where she uses wheat flour, it can just be left out for a fruit medley, etc. Brown Rice Pasta can be substituted (Tinkyada or Trader Joe's). Quinoa and the dark rices can also be used.

But she focuses mostly on very filling vegetable dishes and garden herbs.

Regarding her use of brown rice syrup, just leave it out and add a touch of stevia at the end.

==================

www.rickbayless.com

Rick Bayless is a very good chef for MEXICAN meals that are healthy. These are heavy on vegetables.

====================

http://www.spoonfulofginger.com/

Spoonful of Ginger site

Books: http://www.spoonfulofginger.com/pages/books.php

A SPOONFUL OF GINGER (1999)

From Nina Simonds, the best-selling authority on Asian cooking, comes a ground-breaking cookbook based on the Asian philosophy of food as health-giving. The 200 delectable recipes she offers you not only taste superb but also have specific healing . . . .

. . . With an emphasis on the health-giving properties of herbs and spices, this book gives the latest scientific research as well as references to their tonic properties according to Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda, the traditional Indian philosophy of medicine. . . .

You can find this at Amazon, too.

=========================

http://www.simply-natural.biz/Cure-Is-In-The-Kitchen.php

THE CURE IS IN THE KITCHEN, by Sherry A. Rogers M.D., is the first book to ever spell out in detail what all those people ate day to day who cleared their incurable diseases . . .

==========================

http://www.ecookbooks.com/p-4293-from-curries-to-kebabs.aspx

FROM CURRIES TO KEBABS - RECIPES FROM THE INDIAN SPICE TRAIL - by: Jaffrey, Madhur

MEDITERRANEAN DIET (minus the wheat and the wine) is also good. It's many vegetable based, with delicious herbs in the meat dishes. Quinoa, dark rices - and unsweetened pomegranate juice can be substituted.

===================

www.LotusFoods.com

Look up Black Forbidden Chinese Rice & the Red Bhutanese Rice. The nutritional content is excellent and these will help fill and fortify you, even in moderation, along with lots of vegetables.

-------------------
http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/rice_og_wild_wehani.aspx

Wehani & Wild Rice (Organic)

-----------
http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/rice_nf_japonica.aspx

Black Japonica

---------
http://www.quinoa.net/181.html

Quinoa Recipes

----------
http://www.quinoa.net/4600.html

Red Quinoa Recipes
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rich- you sound like me- I am always starved... even before finishing what I am eating I want more.

I can eat a very large chicken breast (half lb) and a bag of veggies and still be starved.

when healthy I could never eat that much.

this was one of my first symptoms and I was close to 1000 calories for lunch and still starved. My coworkers could not believe what I could eat and still be so thin. and as they said whithering away to nothing.

I have read hyperthyroid can cause excessive hunger with weight loss too.

Also, it doesnt matter what I eat I am still starved- I have cheated and had gluten- ate a large amount and was very very hungry.

It is just more frustrating for me now because I cant eat all those foods I once could...cooking the same thing gets very old.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minerva
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minerva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i understand how you feel. i am not on such a restricted diet but i have that unsatisfied feeling a lot.

some is due to the herbs i am taking because they change your taste buds but it started before i began the herbs just not as pronounced.

In Aryvedic medicine you need to eat from all taste's at each meal. i would look it up for you but i cant find the book ..its like bitter, sweet, salty, sour, dang can't remember them all i think there is 5.

But the idea is if all these flavors hit the mouth they aid in digestion and create heatlh and satisfaction.

ive been adding more spices and it has helped a bit. i love spicy food anyways and lots of spices are good for us ...killing critters etc.

so maybe try spicying up what you are able to eat.

i am planing on doing a little juice fast and cleanse. i ve gained a lot of weight due to my overeating (never feeling like i am happy with what i eat) and no exercise due to my fatigue.

i am hoping i can shed a couple of pounds and maybe my cleaner body will be happier with clean food.
i remember when i use to do juice fasts food tasted better after and my tummy was happier with less...i think its worth a try.
best-

Posts: 161 | From sonoma county | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You may not be getting what you need in nutrients if you are hungry much of the time. I really need some of the dark rices and legumes to hold over as they tend to last longer in my body than just vegetables. Also - when I get enough protein and good fats with each meal, my appetite is more often satisfied.

==================

http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2006/august/0804.pdf - 20 pages

THE REQUIREMENTS OF PROTEIN & AMINO ACID DURING ACUTE & CHRONIC INFECTION . . .

Anura V. Kurpad - Institute of Population Health & Clinical Research, Bangalore, India 129. Indian J Med Res 124, August 2006, pp 129-148.

Excerpt:

" . . . In general, the amount of EXTRA protein that would appear to be needed is of the order of 20-25 per cent of the recommended intake, for most infections. . . ."

- Full article at link (or google the title if it does not go through).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Keebler...you nailecd my point!!!!!! Without the dark rices, legumes, some whole grains...I never feel satisfied. By the way...I have always been the "I am always hungry type" since I was a kid, always had a fast metabolism. I used to eat almost a box of cereal before bed! But I have always been extremely active!

Part of the issue is that I started getting back into bodybuilding this past month and I am going through a large container of protein pwder a week and eating like a horse. I added back in gluten free steel cut oats which are helping to satisfy, also cream of buckwheat, black rice, rice cakes with almond butter. These things are all helping. I called my doctor and she said this should not be an issue with yeast. So, I might be OK now. [Smile]

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

gatorade girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gatorade girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no words of wisdom . I understand. Boy do I miss pretzel rods, a real bagel, and some gatorade.

--------------------
gatorade girl

"I still have Mt.Everest to climb, but I have traveled across the world and arrived at the mountain".

Posts: 633 | From baltimore | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You said that you are "going through a large container of protein pwder a week"

If your protein powder has a high dose of L-Glutamine, that can make you more hungry. It revs the brain and adrenals. High amounts are not good for lyme patients at all.

Now, it may be within a reasonable range, but many of the commercial body building powders are loaded with stuff (even if natural amino acids) some of which will rev all systems, much like steroid action (and that often increase hunger - and the need for real food).

Unless your LLMD has okayed the formula, you might consider stopping the protein powder altogether and go just for real food. (or maybe a modest amount of a very plain protein powder like whey with nothing else added. See if that makes a difference.

Be sure you know exactly what each ingredient in your powder does - google each term. I'm wondering if the very bad boy, MSG, is not hiding in there somewhere - that will increase appetite.

ImmunoPro Rx is a very good whey protein powder with no additives.

http://www.iherb.com/Well-Wisdom-ImmunoPro-Rx-10-6-oz-300-g/4797?utm_source=gb&utm_medium=f3
-

[ 07-21-2010, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

richedie
Member # 14689

Well I have two protein drinks a day...from whole foods it is called Whey Factors . I know many of us need the extra protein and the bump in Glutamine and eventually glutathione. I tried rice and hemp protein and it was like drinking chaulk. This whey protein is just fine. I hate most junk bodybuilding protein powders.

The ImmunoPro Rx looks good but I don't see anyone carrying it locally. I have also used Jarrow's unsweetened whey.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
There are many ways to support glutathione production in the liver. Milk Thistle is one of the best.

There is a concern with any "bump in Glutamine" as that can raise glutamic acid in the brain and create an overly excited brain, so to speak.

(Like an MSG attack. I've had L-glutamine, even in low does, trigger seizures - or more precisely, severely lower the seizure threshold. Others here have done okay with small doses to help heal irritated stomach tissue. If any sense of overall irritation occurs, it is best to back off.)

Glutamine, in moderation, can have some advantages. We get a fair amount in our foods. To supplement further can pose risks for lyme patients who deal with hyper-excitatory issues.

Glutamine converts to glutamic acid in the brain and that can create further toxicity & irritation to brain/nerve cells for those with neurological illness and a compromised blood brain barrier (as with lyme):

www.itmonline.org/arts/glutamine.htm

AMINO ACID SUPPLEMENTS I: GLUTAMINE - with Reference to the Related Compound Glutamate

-by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D.

Excerpt, half way down the article:

. . . Glutamate in Neurological Diseases

The other concern about glutamate is related to its essential role as a neurotransmitter. The levels of glutamate in the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) are highly regulated, since the neurons have sensitive receptors for the compound.

* In some neurological diseases, it is found that glutamate levels in the central nervous system become unusually high at sites of pathology. This can occur, for example, if the rate of degradation of glutamate is slowed by an impairment of the enzymes that are involved.

* Also, glutamate is excreted by immune cells that take part in inflammatory processes; the result is high local concentrations at the neurons in progressive neurological diseases such as MS and ALS.

* Glutamate levels in the central nervous system can also increase when the blood brain barrier is substantially weakened, as occurs after neurological surgery.

* The excess glutamate at the neuron acts as a poison; at high enough levels, the nerves exposed to glutamate can be completely and permanently damaged, so that they are no longer capable of transmitting signals.

* Thus, while glutamate is a major component of the body, and an essential part of the nervous system, high levels localized in the nerve cells can be quite toxic, and this is readily demonstrated in animal models.

* Laboratory research has revealed that in the progressive, debilitating disease ALS, one of the many processes involved in disease progression appears to be damage of nerve cells by accumulation of glutamate.

* In relation to multiple sclerosis, changes in control of glutamate homeostasis in the central nervous system might contribute to demyelination of the white matter of the brain (19).

Based on preliminary animal studies, it has been suggested that glutamate dumped by immune cells can exacerbate the nerve damage (20).

* One of the means by which a stroke (causing blockage of blood circulation to the brain) results in brain damage is through an increase in glutamate levels in the brain cells (of course, oxygen deprivation and other effects are also contributors). These findings point to local glutamate excess as an important factor in brain diseases.

* Since glutamine is converted to glutamate, supplementing glutamine at very high levels in persons who have such neurological disorders may be contraindicated.

. . . . - Full article at link above.

=========================

This addresses the issue of glutamate neurotoxicity:
--------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12602515

Metab Brain Dis. 2002 Dec;17(4):389-97.

Prevention of ammonia and glutamate neurotoxicity by carnitine: molecular mechanisms.
-

canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I herx or something I get really hungry.

I think the body's metabolism process speeds up to fight infection and cleanse body.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how you feel. We tried Dr. B's recommendations about no grains in the diet and my daughter felt like she was starving all of the time.

Since I have put her back on gluten free grains, she feels much better. She really likes the millet breads. Where we live, we can get flat breads, hamburger buns, the works.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dropped sugar and flour.....I still eat fruit. (high fiber fruit for the most part) and nuts. I have been eating corn chips here and there. Not sure if that's ok. But I have lost a bunch of weight and I actually feel pretty good. The hunger stopped after about 3 weeks of eating like I do.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement