LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » can you recommend a good antidepressant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can you recommend a good antidepressant?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doc has put me on lexapro but i can't take it. oh sure, it mellows me right out but i'm wide awake (more than normal). i feel quite calm but i hate the not sleeping.

i stopped taking it and i'm back to waking up at 3.

i was on elavil but he won't give me that.

paxil makes me totally wired, i mean jumping off the walls type, hyper.

is there anything i can take or recommend to him (if he will listen to me at all), that will just take the edge off but allow me to sleep and function, well, normally??

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remeron does well for me, but everybody is so different. I have taken many other, but was put on this for sleep issues also. Does a good job on my depression. I take 30 mg.
Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well he gave me ambien and lunesta. wow, bad news.

my husband said i was having vivid dreams and talking and all. really bad stuff.

so the sleep stuff doesn't work for me.

but with all my other issues right now i think the antidepressant is the way to go, i just have to find the right one.

i hate to keep filling prescriptions and then just throwing them away.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
High dose Inositol?
Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inositol, unofficially referred to as "vitamin B 8," is present in all animal tissues, with the highest levels in the heart and brain. It is part of the membranes (outer coverings) of all cells, and plays a role in helping the liver process fats as well as contributing to the function of muscles and nerves.

Inositol may also be involved in depression. People who are depressed may have lower than normal levels of inositol in their spinal fluid. In addition, inositol participates in the action of serotonin, a neurotransmitter known to be a factor in depression. (Neurotransmitters are chemicals that transmit messages between nerve cells.) For these two reasons, inositol has been proposed as a treatment for depression, and preliminary evidence suggests that it may be helpful.

Inositol has also been tried for other psychological and nerve-related conditions.

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried zoloft?

I had an agitated depression--mind racing, white knuckle ride 24/7. Tried quite a few different meds. They all overwhelmed me. Then, I went to an expensive psychiatrist who started me out on a very, very low dose of zoloft and I became normal.

I worked up to 50 mg per day and stayed on that for 9 months. Then, tapered off with no problem.

The zoloft made me feel like my normal self.

It did cause me to have headaches for about the first 3-4 weeks. Doc had me persevere through that (took Tylenol), and I'm glad I did. The relief was wonderful.

Also, I understand it is effective against nerve pain. My neighbor takes it for back pain. Has done so for years.

Hope you find the med that works for you and brings you back to your old self.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5-HTP is the best IMHO. See my video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP9Er2GMadU

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took zoloft for years. Wish I could go back on, but put on anafranil, for ocd and depression. Zoloft worked great for me. Good luck

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no idea you were such a bigshot on Youtube Gary. You've got videos everywhere!!
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on prozac. Works for me. Suggest you see a good phychopharmacologist

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to try St John's Wort before I try any prescription. If that doesn't help, then maybe I'll try the 5-HTP.

I have another appointment the first week in August, so will discuss more with my LLMD.

My LLMD gave me NeuroReplete to try and it didn't help at all; in fact, I think it made it a little worse.

Also, tried Sam-e, which seemed to help a little bit for a little while, but then stopped.

Mine, I guess, I would describe as a mild to moderate.

Hoping to find something that will help soon.

Good luck and hope you find something that works for you!

Posts: 217 | From Earth | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try to help others when I can Seek :-)
Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't agree with anti-depressants. Another pharmaceutical scam.

Good Lyme treatment
weekly massage
exercise
clean diet
adrenal support

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zoloft did not work well for me, but we are all different.

For those of you who do not agree with taking drugs, I hope you never get in the situation where you have to.

Since the 80's, I have spent tons of money on supps, trying to sleep, for depression etc. I don't enjoy taking all the drugs I do, but one has to survive too.

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree keityl, sometimes we need antidepressants and nothing else will work.

It does not mean someone is weak there are physical causes to depression that are very real and the depression that goes along with it is very real too...

Some people are ignorant to this...keltyl

--------------------
~Things may happen in my life time to change who I am but I refuse to let them reduce me...~

Posts: 968 | From private | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Thank you Daniella, well said.

My problem isn't just depression, and fixing the depression isn't going to fix me. It's just a small piece of what is going on with my body.

daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
situational depressiom is a result of a loss or result of prolonged illness. depression as a result and very natural to our situation.

other depression can be from toxins in brain, bacteria, viruses or parasites in brain causing destruction or creating toxic overload.

either way these are very real and serious issues and should not be looked upon as otherwise.

--------------------
~Things may happen in my life time to change who I am but I refuse to let them reduce me...~

Posts: 968 | From private | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keityl,
I've been to rock bottom. I've seen the lowest, darkest days you could imagine. When Lyme hit me hard I was severely depressed and often thought about suicide.

I never once took an antidepressant. I treated the root cause. Not the symptom.

It's my opinion that antidepressants can send you into a whirlwind. The viscious cycle of hormonal disruption.

If it worked for some of you guys... Great.

But most people should know that antidepressants do more harm than good.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

All I can say is, we are all different, and what works for one doesn't work for another.
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

I will also add...next week I'll be 60, and have been sick since a child. I believe I got bitten at about 10 yrs old.

I was just tested for Lyme in Nov '07, and was CDC positive. I have co's, numerous viruses, Q fever, and who knows what else. At this point my body just can't heal on supps.

Every part of my body is involved.

randibear
Member # 11290

and let's not forget the stress. i think most of you now what i live with.

constant stress and very low self image reinforced by others can be just as damaging as the disease itself.

believe me, when a doctor says you're falling apart, and you're sitting there just squalling, then something is wrong.

--------------------

keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

randi...I know the stress!!! There were many times throughout the years in my quest to find out what was wrong with me, I was told I was nuts, I should look to God, on and on. That is really good for your self image!
canefan17
Member # 22149

High doses of adaptogens and adrenal support can relieve depression.
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

"can" is the key word cane.. I think until you have been affected like others have,it may be better to sit this one out cane...

just sayin.. )

--------------------

keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

FYI, I am on 3 adrenal support supps.
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

2 here [Smile]

--------------------

randibear
Member # 11290

maybe i'll try those, but ya know everything has the opposite effect on me. tranquilizers drive me hyper, otc stuff increases heart rate, everything is just the exact worst stuff i could try.

i'm willing to try adrenal support but where would i start? any otc stuff that would work adn not cost a fortune?

--------------------

daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

[Smile]

--------------------

keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

randi...don't do it yourself. It all depends on whether or not your adrenals are hyper or hypo as to what supps you would take.

I'm getting ready to go out, but would be glad to pm you and talk when I can....if you want.

randibear
Member # 11290

yes please, let me know.

i don't think my doc (the primary casue i lost my llmd) would be amenable to testing (sigh....)

--------------------

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are LLMD's that say that antidepressants can actually help heal the brain, from things that happen due to Lyme.

So I don't think you need to worry. Take them if you need them. I don't believe at all that they are a scam. Do they make companies money? Yes, of course. So do antibiotics like Rocephin. But are they a scam? No. They work.

Anyways...I was on Prozac for quite awhile and that helped.

I read in "The Lyme Disease Solution" that Zoloft is overall the most highly recommended for Lyme patients, with the fewest observed side effects.

So I would try either Prozac or Zoloft, if it was me. Good luck!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

You really should check out 5-HTP.. It is an amino acid that converts directly into Serotonin. I'm a really big fan of this and I'll tell you why.

Big Pharmas can't/won't recommend this as they won't make money on it.

It raises your levels within hours of taking it and NO physiological changes occur. This means no withdrawal or brain zaps if you stop using it.

If it doesn't work, than Serotonin isn't your problem.

Ask any Psychiatrist and 99% of them don't even know what 5-HTP is. They arn't taught this in medical school, yet it is a direct precursor to Serotonin. How could they not know this, yet throw around AD's like they are candy.

Did you ever hear of poop out syndrome ? This is when an AD worked well and then suddenly stopped. It goes well with the theory that SSRI's reuse your low Serotonin levels. When they get too low, there is nothing to reuse, thats when poop out occurs.

Quick lesson, but these are the facts and I have researched this stuff for years.

Google 5-HTP and Anxiety or Depression. It's out there and it's no secret. Kind of like Lyme :-)

canefan17
Member # 22149

daniella,

Not to make this a pi$$ing match.... but I have been affected like others have.

And if you read my above post you will see that I've seen the worst neurological symptoms you can have. (What's worse than suicidal and deep, dark depression?)

I've stated my stand on it. You don't have to agree with me and I understand.

But we're all fighting the same battle. Lyme has attacked ALL of our CNS's and brains.

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no such thing as "good" antidepressant.

They all have horrific side effects, including suicidal thoughts, homicidal rages, suicide, addiction (can't stop taking it due to horrible feelings if you do), and other physical adverse effects as well.

My recommendation would be high dose B vitamins and exercise. Something that REALLY mellows me out when I need it most is Brewer's yeast--B vitamins and protein, too.

Now, if it just tasted better......

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because "horrific" side effects are listed, it doesn't mean everyone experiences them.

I had virtually no noticable side effects from some of the psych drugs I've taken, Prozac being one of them. Lamictal being the other. That's why I comfortably took those longterm. Some caused side effects, but that's why I didn't stay on them.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

5-HTP has no side effects except maybe some GI stuff, but it's usually mild. Your Serotonin receptors are located in the gut, at least 80% of them.

Sorry to keep posting this, but I know this stuff well.

Again, you don't get physiological changes from 5-HTP, whereas you do with SSRI's and SNRI's.

On another note, what your feeling may not even be a true depression. For me, it always felt like a symptom. Like when you burst into tears for no forsaken reason. When the CNS is affected, it may not even be Serotonin.

Cymbalta, Effexor, and the newer drug Pristique all tinker with both your Serotonin and Norepinephrine. I would only ask, how in the world does your Dr. even know which one is out of whack ? The answer is simple, they don't.

I won't post anymore on this thread. and I'm not giving out medical advice, but rather medical research I have spent countless hours studying.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement