LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Heat and humidity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heat and humidity
krautz33
Member # 25693

Icon 11 posted      Profile for krautz33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the heat and humidity in the NE part of the country making anyone else feel worse? It seems that when it was not as humid, I wasn't as bad. The last 20 days we have been averaging around 90 with high humidity.

Krautz

Posts: 38 | From Garnet Valley, Pa | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Be very careful. Yes, those with lyme can be greatly affected by heat and humidity. Many are heat intolerant. Here are some safety tips:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/96621?

SUMMER HEAT - nausea going from indoors to out?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I've been feeling HORRIBLE for the past few weeks--a lot of anxiety/air hunger/heart palps type sx that haven't been around for a while.
Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes it's a nightmare for me too. air conditioning saves the day!
Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaBear11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaBear11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also absolutely miserable. I sweat constantly, and feel like I'm suffocating if I'm not sitting in front of a fan.

I cannot WAIT until summer is over!

--------------------
Untreated Lyme for 25+ years.
Two kids, too much pain & fatigue, no hope of ever being able to treat.

Posts: 310 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just humidity for me, but I cant be in front of an air-conditioner because I have lyme nerve damage

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm OK with heat but cannot tolerate humidity. Even if it is cool and humid outside I feel like I can't breathe. It makes me feel weak and sick, like I'm walking around with a lead suit on.

Thank God for air conditioning!

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wicked suffering for me, with heat index it is 106-108 here.
pain, pain and double pain!

steve... I can't be in front ac either for the same reasons.

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by steve1906:
just humidity for me, but I cant be in front of an air-conditioner because I have lyme nerve damage

Is it the EMFs? The electrosensitivity forums have these petitions going around. Sometimes I'd swear my bugs are responding to the EMFs.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/6/urge-congress-on-emf-safety-fcc

http://wavr.org/petition/ToObama.php

As regards the heat and humidity, my symptoms go up up up with humidity. We're having a thunderstorm right now, and just before it came through - while the sky was dark, it wasn't windy yet, and you could see and hear thunder in the distance - every pore in my chest, upper back, and head opened up and I began to sweat profusely, as in pouring sweat. Once it started getting windy and 'dripping', I started to evaporate.

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Elizza811, no it's not the EMF...Any type of breeze. wind etc... actually hurts sometimes and makes me feel very cold, chills etc...

It sounds like MDW005 has the same problem...it really sucks

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Steve, I am right there with you. Sucks is a nice word. burning pain also not just cold

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krautz33
Member # 25693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for krautz33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was doing better until this last heat spell. Now wam, I feel like I have taken steps backwards. The anxiety, sleepiness but not able to sleep feeling. Miserable feelings, we still have another month of this type of weather. Today is supposed to be a doozy. I was just outside and it is already hot and sticky 83 w/heat index 90 degress. It isn't even 5 am yet.

Krautz

Posts: 38 | From Garnet Valley, Pa | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am actually jealous....I get cold easily. Where I live, in southern CA very close to the coast, it has been 65 during the day, and it is way too cold for me. I have had goosebumps during the day, and my hands and feet have been like icicles.

I just can't bring myself to turn up the heat because our furnace leaks gas (need to get it fixed), so we have the shut-off valve switched off.

At night it's 62 and it's way too cold for me!

Sorry, that is all completely irrelevant.

But I especially like temps in the 80s, and I do fine with 90s, full humidity and all. Used to live in FL when I was a kid.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the heat and humidity. That's when I feel at my best. Cold weather makes me sicker.

What puzzles me is the the bugs hate the heat, so if you oxogenate your cells with exercise and sweat, I feel like I'm killing the bugs. I do Hot yoga and love it. I get cold faster than anyone and hate air conditioners.

Posts: 161 | From midwest | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI -

How to Ride Out Dangerous Heat Waves

Expert offers tips on using the body's own cooling mechanisms to stay safe during hot weather

(HealthDay News) -- Extreme summer heat can be more than uncomfortable, it can be deadly.

Since 1979, about 8,000 Americans have died from heat exposure, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Those most susceptible to extreme heat include the elderly and the very young, people with chronic diseases or mental illness, and those taking diuretics or blood pressure medications.

But young and healthy people are also at risk if they do physically strenuous activities in hot weather, according to researchers.

There are a number of ways to prevent overheating and protect yourself and others from heat exhaustion and heat stroke, said Dr. Larry Mellick of the emergency department at MCGHealth, an academic medical center of the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta:

Schedule outdoor activities for early morning or early evening.

Take regular breaks in shady areas or indoors so that your body's thermostat has a chance to recover.

Avoid direct sunlight whenever possible. Always use sunscreen to reduce the heat your body absorbs and to limit moisture loss.

Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing and a wide-brimmed hat. People who work in the sun should take frequent breaks and not push themselves too hard.

Drink plenty of fluids and don't wait until you're thirsty to drink. If you're doing heavy exercise in the heat, drink two to four glasses of cool fluids each hour. Even when you're swimming, you need to drink plenty of water.

Don't eat a heavy or hot meal before going outside in hot weather. Doing so will heat your body faster.

Avoid liquids that contain alcohol or large amounts of sugar -- they may cause you to lose more body fluids.

If you're not used to exercising in hot weather, begin slowly and gradually increase your pace. If your heart starts to pound and you're gasping for breath, stop your activity, find a cool or shady area and rest.

During hot weather, monitor the condition of family, friends and co-workers, and have someone do the same for you. During a heat wave, relatives and friends should call elderly people twice a day to ask how they're doing.

If you have air conditioning, try to stay inside. If you don't have air conditioning, go to a public place that does have it. If you don't have air conditioning and can't leave your home, a cool shower or bath can help keep your body temperature cool.

If you don't have air conditioning, avoid running the stove or oven on hot days.

Call 911 immediately if you suspect that you or someone else has had a heat stroke, marked by a high body temperature, a rapid pulse, dizziness, confusion, fatigue, headache, seizure and/or hot, dry skin that is flushed but not sweaty.

More information

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has more about preventing heat-related illnesses.
-- Robert Preidt

SOURCE: MCGHealth, June 2010, news release

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement