LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anybody herxing on the Full Moon?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anybody herxing on the Full Moon?
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My lyme has always flared on full moons and there is one happening right now.

I am much better than I used to be - mainly plagued by bart - but I had to take an imitrex for migraine, my eyes are stinging and I just now had sharp stinging sensations in my back. Yesterday muscle spasms. This ALWAYS comes on full moons and when there was an eclipse back in 2008 that was the sickest I have ever been. I was also very irritable the last two days. I usually have trouble sleeping.

Does anyone else notice that they flare on full moon's. I think it is Buhner that states this happens a lot, in his book.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't notice it. I'm not sure I buy into anything that unusual. [Smile]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter has Lyme, Bart, etc.

She says she has a hard time sleeping during a full moon.

Also last couple of days more headaches, lightheaded.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never see any effect.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isn't actually as unusual as it sounds. My son's girlfriend has worked in a nursing home and the staff always posted when there was going to be a full moon because the patients were more uncontrollable. Same with emergency rooms - more suicides and accidents. The moon has a powerful influence on us.

I don't know why the spirrochetes would be more active during it but they do have a 28 day cycle and mine just happens to coincide with the full moon.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I used to feel worse during the full moon. That is typical of someone with parasites.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thejoje
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thejoje   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Today I had my first big crash in a long time. Never connected it to the full moon until now.

I started to go for a walk with my husband, then after a short time, I completely shut down and my husband had to get the car and take me home.

--------------------
When we are no longer able to change a situation---we are challenged to change ourselves.
(Viktor Frankl- Holocaust survivor)

Posts: 460 | From Maine | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misfit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never thought about it. But what had me searching tonight is my symptoms have returned. I was doing sooo good too! Theyre not as bad as last time but its bad enough. Fever...joint pain...and my left leg muscles feel like i ran 20 miles. You can bet ill be watching what happens the next full moon!
Posts: 624 | From Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just rode the Full Moon Bicycle ride tonight-
Was Great till I had a FLAT tire--OucH--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asummers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asummers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES - YES - YES!!! I was doing great and starting yesterday, I have been herxing. I think that I felt this way during the last full moon.

I am thinking it is mostly parasites...

Thanks for posting the question.

Posts: 379 | From Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. I have been really agitated yesterday and it peaked today. So weird....never noticed it before. Babs symptoms of air hunger really bad today too.

--------------------
Pos BB and Bart(Q & H IGG pos)
Began treat 1 year after start of illness. Diagnosed Feb 2007.

Posts: 648 | From Ireland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth S.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elizabeth S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear. Come on now, guys.

Lyme flares every four weeks.

What else happens every four weeks? The moon cycle.

It's not the moon, it's the natural pattern of the Lyme bacteria.

GOOD FOR YOU for being able to pick out that pattern, but it's nothing to do with the moon. (If that were true I'd be having flares on the crescent moons! [lol] )

<3
Elizabeth

Posts: 161 | From Southern United States | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually do better during full moons.

On the other hand, certain 'space weather' events can cause my symptoms to flare. In fact, I check all 4 of the following websites daily. If you are affected by the full moon, try checking these daily. I'll bet you notice a correlation, too. Definitely check #2 and #4 below on your worst days.

1) Space Weather Now:
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SWN/index.html

*Check the dynamic pressure. I have flares a lot when the dynamic pressure is'zero'. Also, check whether it's positive, negative, or neutral. Lately I feel best when it's negative or neutral; horrible when it's positive. It used to be that I'd feel best when it was negative or positive; horrible when it was neutral.

2) Space Weather Alert Archives - Click on 'Currently in Effect':
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/archive.html#2006

*Pretty much anything that appears on this page causes a flare in me, especially geomagnetic storms, electron fluxes, sudden impulses. It's blank today, so I feel so-so.

I've only been checking this page a couple of years, and geomagnetic activity has been minimal those couple of years, so I haven't been able to determine what effect each and every event might have on my symptoms, just some of them.

3) Today's Space Weather:
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/today2.html

*Scroll down to the first graph, the Solar X-ray Flux graph. Red and yellow spikes (solar flares) can cause my symptoms to increase. These same spikes, prior to the onset of the new solar cycle, Solar Cycle 24, used to make me feel better.

*Check the bars on the second graph, too. These bars indicate instability in the earth's geomagnetic field.

4) Space Weather Sunspot Page:
http://spaceweather.com/

*This is the page to check if you're wanting to know how many sunspots are active. Two are showing for today, though there is likely a third just over the sun's limb about to face earth.

*You might also want to look on the left side for information on coronal holes and solar wind streams. We're currently inside a solar wind stream.

The presence of sunspots seem to help me, provided there are no 'magnetic filaments' and they are quiet sunspots with a stable magnetic field. We had a sunspot a couple of weeks ago with a beta delta magnetic field, and my symptoms were HORRIFIC.

The formation of new sunspots often helps my symptoms to improve. Likewise with the 'arrival' of solar wind streams. Until these solar wind streams arrive, a product of coronal mass ejections, my symptoms often worsen temporarily.

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

I haven't done space weather before. That is interesting.

Maybe some people do react more to other moon phases than the full moon. Lyme does cycle every 28 days, just like the moon, and my flare coincides with the full moon.

I kept a log through the first two years of this and I always was much worse during the full moon phase. It is waning now and the symptoms are too.

--------------------

Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always have more skin symptoms on the full moon.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This subject has been discussed before in threads before and can be found in history. The moon control the tides on the planet as well as so many other things in nature. I don't doubt it effects our bodies or whatever might be inside of us at all.
Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeAware
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeAware     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vaguely remember reading about this...I think it was in "The Lyme Disease Survival Guide". It makes a lot of sense to me given natural cycles and the moon's influence on everything else.

I am completely basing this on vague memories of my reading, so don't take this as absolutely what she says, but I seem to remember her saying that all bacteria are heightened in activity during the full moon.

So, it stands to reason that lyme, as a bacteria, would also increase in activity during the full moon -- leading to more symptoms. I think she said that she increases her treatment schedule during the full moon, because she figures that more spirochetes are available (and not in cyst form) during that time.

Again, this is just based on memory, please look at the book to confirm what she says.

Posts: 232 | From Oregon | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j57401
Member # 26395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j57401     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually get mentally worse during full moons, emotional and whatnot. Eclipses are even more intense.
Posts: 32 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement