LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » please help my brother, needs anti-anxiety meds - suggestions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: please help my brother, needs anti-anxiety meds - suggestions?
DeniseNM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseNM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! Thank you for reading this.

My baby brother is going through is third bout of terrible anxiety. He usually has problems in the summer (go figure!), and this year it's really bad because they are thinking about moving across town. He is terrified of making a bad decision for his family, etc. He's evidently turned into a puddle of tears and it breaks my heart.

He's been on Paxil and Zoloft in the past. THey helped with the anxiety, but he had some very unpleasant side effects - felt like his brain was skipping, had a whooshing sensation in his head, and the sexual side effects.

Do you have any other suggestions for him? His wife and I are getting him to a Dr. to get back on something so he can get through this, but he isn't thinking clearly right now.

I am also going to try and get him to get evaluated for Lyme. We're from MN and he's spent lots and lots of time in the woods, camping, etc. He doesn't have a lot of the symptoms, other than the anxiety. Once, about 10 years ago, he had an MRI because he was having weird neuro stuff. I have "MS" so the doc had the MRI run right away, no findings.

Do you think getting him evaluated for Lyme is worth it?

Thank you for any advice, suggestions, support!

--------------------
dx: MS in 1998
2007 - Lyme suspected
2009 - Positive Lyme, MS worse. Now: Copaxone shots for MS
gall bladder out 7/09
Ceftin, Zith, Septra
LDN
Acyclovir
Monolaurin, DHEA, Pregnonelon, Curcumin

Posts: 243 | From New Mexico | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigstan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^

--------------------
HERX is a Four Letter Word!

Posts: 716 | From If you're going through hell, keep going......Winston Churchill | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does he have any fatigue, or is he able to participate in normal day activities?

I really don't think anti-depressants are the right drugs when there is only anxiety, and especially when the anxiety is severe.

How about Depakote, Lithium (I would try the "natural" orotate form and not the less bioavailable potentially toxic prescriptions).

There is Lamictal (a mood stabilizer) that may help with anxiety.

There is Lyrica, but my psychiatrist won't prescribe it to anyone because of the side effects. It probably would work.

If you want to try something natural that supposed to be excellent for anxiety and can even stop a panic attack, look into Inositol in powder form. You need to take atleast 9 grams a day I believe which is usually 4 times the amount they write on the packaging. Give it a few weeks to work.

I really like Kava. You can try GABA as well, but I don't believe it binds to GABA receptors in the brain (only the limbic system).

Adding Taurine to any of these herbs may help.

Corydalis (a chinese herb) may be more potent but it's not likely that you will find it at a local health food store. You must order it online.

There companies that make blends of natural things to help with anxiety and sleep.

Some like Valerian root. The prescription Depakote is actually made from Valerian root.

------

And if the anxiety is super severe and he needs instant relief, there is Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, etc. These are all benzodiazepines. They are a controlled substance and addictive. Klonopin is for longer term use, but of course, it's still addictive.

------

It seems that for whatever reason, it isn't uncommon for multiple family members to have Lyme and/or co-infections. If you and he really suspect it could be Lyme, it sounds like he should be tested for Lyme/Bartonella. If psychiatric medications work and continue to work, I personally wouldn't go through the agony of treating possible Lyme and co-infections. Well, if the tests come back very positive or if he has a co-infection, it's probably best to treat. My opinion.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Yes, indeed. If lyme, heat intolerance can make symptoms MUCH worse.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
-

Yes, indeed. If lyme, heat intolerance can make symptoms MUCH worse.
-

I didn't think about that Keebler. You are absolutely correct.

Does he think the heat is a trigger to his anxiety?

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OmegaBrite
http://www.omegabrite.com/why/effects.html

Magnesium
http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_of_magnesium_to_human.htm

Lithium orotate
http://www.iherb.com/Lithium-Orotate
(Read the reviews.)

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Oh yes, I forgot magnesium. Probably magnesium citramate from Thorne, Magnesium taurate, or magnesium citrate would be the best in my opinion for anxiety.

All magnesium is not equal.

lululymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard that Kava is good for anxiety but it is no longer available in Canada, so I did a little research and found out about Theanine (a green tea derivative) It works surprisingly well for anxiety and is very affordable.

http://mental-health.emedtv.com/theanine/benefits-of-theanine.html

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseNM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseNM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! It never crossed my mind that the heat could be making the possible Lyme worse! i know it does for me.

Thank you all for the great suggestions, I will pass them on, and will talk to him about Lyme testing next time I'm there (next week).

--------------------
dx: MS in 1998
2007 - Lyme suspected
2009 - Positive Lyme, MS worse. Now: Copaxone shots for MS
gall bladder out 7/09
Ceftin, Zith, Septra
LDN
Acyclovir
Monolaurin, DHEA, Pregnonelon, Curcumin

Posts: 243 | From New Mexico | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler: You seem to have so much information at your fingertips regarding lyme. I wondered if you had anything on hand that you could share regarding the heat effect on lyme patients.

I was doing so well in late spring and the weather here this summer has been hot,humid,cold plus I have noise and cold breeze from window air conditioners and fans that I feel like I am going crazy, so muddled and so much pain.

I am probably not doing the right thing but I have lorazapam, tylenal 3, codiene and morphine and I try not to take anything on a regular basis as it loses it's effectiveness and I don't want to become addicted to any of them.

I hope when I see the neurologist we can work out something a little more organized. I was prescribed Lyrica but I only took a couple, can't remember the side effects, do you know what the side effects are so if the neuro doc suggests it I can tell him why I don't want it.

Thanks

--------------------
1999 CFS, 2002 CMV Myco pneumonia
1 year antibiotics on and off
2002 EBV, 2009 Positive Igenex Borellia and Babesia, Brain mri severe white matter disease
Monoclonal Gammopathy. On and off antibiotics since sept. March 9 started iv antibiotics

Posts: 328 | From somewhereelse | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

quote:
Originally posted by lululymemom:
I've heard that Kava is good for anxiety but it is no longer available in Canada, so I did a little research and found out about Theanine (a green tea derivative) It works surprisingly well for anxiety and is very affordable.

http://mental-health.emedtv.com/theanine/benefits-of-theanine.html

L-Theanine can work and may be excellent if your brain can convert it to GABA efficiently. Unfortunately, mine couldn't no matter how many I would take, but I am not the norm.

Make sure to only get L-Theanine marketed as Suntheanine brand. Great suggestion.

You can also get Theanine by drinking green tea, and green tea is an excellent anti-oxidant as well. I use a decaffeinated brand (it has traces of caffeine) so I can drink more in a day.

tick battler
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would definitely have him get tested for Lyme. It tends to run in families b/c of similar genes, detox issues, and of course environment. My entire family of 5 has it, some worse than others.

The fact that he had neuro symptoms once makes me very, very suspicious of lyme. Anxiety can definitely be a symptom, and, as you have seen here, lyme can manifest differently in everyone.

Order a kit from Igenex and you just need an MD to sign the requisition form so Igenex knows who to send the results to. Our pediatrician did it for me. Take the kit to the local hospital and you can get the blood drawn there and then send it to Igenex.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattnapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A second here for Theanine.
Posts: 357 | From California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement