LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Study Reports Alcohol may fight RA.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Study Reports Alcohol may fight RA.
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/07/27/drinking.rheumatoid.arthritis/index.html

An estimated 1.3 million adults in the U.S. have rheumatoid arthritis,

"Alcohol reduces immune activity, at least to some extent, and [we] suspect that this is the main reason that alcohol consumption is associated with a reduction in severity of rheumatoid arthritis," says the lead author of the study, James Maxwell, a rheumatologist at Rotherham Hospital, in the U.K. "Alcohol may also have a mild painkilling effect."
========================
I think they failed to see that alcohol is antibacterial to some degree.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I wonder if the people funding the study sell drugs to treat alcohol-induced hepatitis and Chirrosis of the liver.

Why they never look at the damage alcohol causes the liver is beyond me.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people do not consider how much poisons are put on the ingredients before it ever gets to the bottle.

Long term exposure is never considered in those for instance who drink wine. Organic may be a different story.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.3 million just for RA if you combine the other 80+ autoimmune illness's it is pretty much the whole population has one form or another AI issue. It is pretty absurd to stick to the notion that everyone's body just decided to attack itself.

However not good, alchohol does have antibacterial properties.

http://smccd.edu/accounts/case/beer.html

http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nutrition/Red-wine-has-anti-bacterial-impact-new-study

Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

http://www.organicwinejournal.com/index.php/2009/03/president-obama-serves-organic-wine-at-first-white-house-dinner/

Wine is great for building blood cells. But I would try to buy organic.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

2roads
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, and I hear I was about to be happy for myself.....you guys are tough. [shake]

What about this Organic red wine? Which ones are better all the way around? [spinning smile]

Well, maybe the old ticker benefits...just a little [confused] I know, that's one glass a day not bottle....... [kiss]

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Funny (not), more than one doctor suggested to me that I should enjoy a glass or two of wine each day. But would they address lyme? Oh, no. Not at all.

For lyme patients, all recreational alcohol is to be totally avoided for the duration of treatment. Organic wine is still alcohol. It is still very hard on the liver - which already has been damaged from lyme and is the key organ that can help get us better.

Without the liver working at its best, we don't have a chance. Liver damage causes lots of symptoms and few really are looking at that.

This "study" was very poorly designed with several major flaws and assumptions. It looked at those who do drink and made the assumption that alcohol protected them.

However, MAYBE (or most likely) those who did NOT drink had health problems not because they did not drink but, as they had health problems, refrained from drinking.

As for the statement from the rheumatologist: "Alcohol may also have a mild painkilling effect."

Well, duh. It depresses the nervous system. That's why so many have taken to it out of desperation. But it also kills the lining of the stomach, liver and brain cells when those systems are already overloaded - as with lyme and co.

Lyme (as well as many infections) can cause hepatitis and Chirrosis of the liver - and fatty liver disease. It's vital that we be educated about that. So many symptoms attributed to lyme are made worse by a stressed liver.

And the basic liver tests are just in the "Mickey Mouse" zone when it comes to knowing the exact terrain and function of the liver. They don't test for all they can - and only a biopsy can show certain things. And that even misses. For anyone with an infection, social drinking is not the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

The doctors who suggest that may just want us to shut up and go away.

There are many better choices for pain relief: magnesium, turmeric/curcumim, corydalis, antioxidants - and actually addressing the reason for the pain - or "autoimmunity" reactions - in the first place.

========================

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

Sections regarding self-care:

From page 27:

CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES MUST BE FOLLOWED IF LYME SYMPTOMS ARE TO BE PERMANENTLY CLEARED:

. . .

3. Absolutely no alcohol!

. . .

-[more details at link above]

=======================

Porphyria is another consideration - alcohol elevates porphyrins. That can't be tested by just any test but the damage can be severe at worst, a bad herx, at best. The "Secondary Porphyria" article explains more about liver stress and chronic infection.

------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?

PORPHYRIA Thread - along with details about KPU/HPU (Mauve factor)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Keebler.

I know it is a serious issue. I was a Dr. B patient and I clearly remember him saying that too. Lyme was a life style change, and a healthier change as well.

I don't mean to sound like I am making light of it. I truly agree. It's just dissapointing.

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Didn't mean to come on like a bull dozer. Voice tone can be a bit hard to interpret and we both probably had a lighter tone than what the words may indicate.. I should have commented that you probably were wishing, so to speak, to lighten it all up.

And, for the record, I wish I could enjoy wine, too. I'm not against it (in theory). My body just reacts as it is poison. Always has.

For many new here - they may not know, and be swallowing doxy with bourbon. It's been done. And no one every told them the risk.

I get mad with "studies" that assume stuff, too. I tried to see who funded that "study" but could not easily find that. But the media never questions - or brings in others to discuss it. They just print whatever press release is handed to them and it becomes "fact" to many readers.

So if you sensed me raising my voice, it was not so much at you as the misrepresentations of these news articles that tell people wine is so good for the heart but fail to consider the liver - and fail to consider that some can handle it but, for others, it's like drinking rocket fuel or the kind of liquid with which one would clean a printing press.

Even among those without chronic infection, we all know people who do well with a glass of wine at dinner. And we know people who don't. No so much from the addiction aspect but they just don't feel well afterward, or the next day. That's a big sign of liver damage but it's often ignored.
-

Pinelady
Member # 18524

I don't drink but If I could-----

--------------------
IgM neg pos

JOLA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOLA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red wine doesn't hurt the liver as much as the benzos and sleeping aids some LDs would have u take. Given the choice I'll enjoy the product of the vine-moderation is the key
Posts: 146 | From Vancouver, BC | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
For lyme patients, though, not even wine is allowed during treatment - "absolutely no alcohol" is how Dr. B's guidelines phrase it. Most LLMDs agree - but not because they are trying to be mean. Our livers are just too overloaded. Alcohol also totally changes the chemical structure of the medication we take to something altogether different.

There are also many options to the benzos.
-----------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP - Links to articles & supplements

----------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/24039

Topic: Looking for long term pain management
-

jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to drink wine before I got sick. I also used to eat chocolate chip cookies and drink coffee (sweetened of course). Maybe those were what were keeping me healthy. Ha ha.
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement