LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is Factive okay for intracellular Lyme?...WildCondor or anyone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Factive okay for intracellular Lyme?...WildCondor or anyone
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all.

I was taking Doryx for the intracellular/"L form," but we (LLMD and I) decided to stop that for various reasons and try something new.

I'm on Moxatag and Tindamax for spirochete form and cyst form.....and Factive for Bartonella/BLO.

So since I stopped the Doryx and replaced it with Factive....I am a little worried. Will the Factive cover the intracellular/L form/cell wall deficient form, as I know the Doryx would have?

I'm thinking my LLMD knows what he/she is doing, but just want to be sure.

Thanks!

[ 07-29-2010, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: Hoosiers51 ]

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience I think it does effect intercell lyme. For me it hit bart in a very specific way and is only good for a short burst here and there.

It got into the brain quite well with me but its important to use maybe levaquin for a while first to lower your germ load.

--------------------
Pos BB and Bart(Q & H IGG pos)
Began treat 1 year after start of illness. Diagnosed Feb 2007.

Posts: 648 | From Ireland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience Mino is a far better drug. Doxy does not penetrate as well aa mino and really just ****es off bartonella. Everyone is different of course.

--------------------
Pos BB and Bart(Q & H IGG pos)
Began treat 1 year after start of illness. Diagnosed Feb 2007.

Posts: 648 | From Ireland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks.

Already on page 2....bump.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Factive is supposed to be effective for Lyme and Bartonella.

I took it for several months. It was the only medicine that helped reduce my GI symptoms. I've only recently stopped it to try IV Levaquin. I had not been able to stop it before without a relapse in symptoms.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually it is a cephalosporin plus a fluoroquinolone like Factive for 6 weeks to about 3 months or a fluoroquinolone with a macrolide and add Mepron if needed. Cephalosporins increase the effect of fluoroquinolones in the treatment of Bartonella.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Interesting.

Do you know why cephalosporans increase the effect of fluroquinolones? Have never heard that before.

I feel like I am not doing as well since stopping Doryx/Bicillin for Factive/Moxatag. I had to stop the Bicillin because of scar tissue.

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading somewhere that factive is also very effective against lyme but I don't remember which form.

I hope this works for you.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is factive any less likely to cause tendon damage than levaquin? ANYONE??

[ 08-20-2010, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: mjbucuk ]

Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Factive is good for the intracelllular form of Lyme, besides for Bart, as per one of the top LLMD's.

The manufacturer says that it less likely to cause tendon damage, but that is the manufacturer speaking. I got tendon/ligament damage from it during a short course, as did someone else I know.

It was miraculous for my neuro symptoms, but not only did it cause bad tendon/ligament damage to me, but it caused double

vision, which lasted for many, many months!! Sigh. I wish I could have continued, but no go.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you didn't combine macrolides and fluoroquinolones due to the possible heart complications?

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loonie1980
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loonie1980     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh oh - what are macrolides? The tetracyclines or meds like clarithromycin/zithromax?
Posts: 182 | From hills and valleys | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Macrolides are Zith and or Biaxcin and can
cause QT issues with the heart when combined
with a Floroquinolone per my pharmacist.

Posts: 476 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement