LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » bicillin injections

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bicillin injections
n2themystic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n2themystic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I am new to this forum and am excited with all the information and support that is available. I searched past threads on my question but didn't find anything.

I am just starting bicillin injections. Had the first one yesterday. The needle was a 21 gauge 1.5 length. The needle going in wasn't too bad. During the injection and for about 20 min after it was achy but not too bad. Several hours later though the area was really achy and still is today.

Anyone who has been through or is going through injections I have a few questions.

How long are you sore after an injection?

Does it get better as your body adjusts to the muscle being "invaded" with the needle and medicine or does it get worse because you keep agitating the area?

What gauge needle and length do you use. The nurse that did the injection for me said the 21 gauge will cause more pain due to size and suggested a 25 or 23 and 1 inch in length. I am concerned that 1 inch is not long enough. I am concerned that 25 gauge would be too small and the bicillin wouldn't come out. I am thinking of 23 gauge 1.5.

Any comments/tips would be welcomed.

Thanks

Posts: 186 | From colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel your pain. I did double shots of 19 G twice a week for months and they are like fricken snooker cues!! [Smile] and jabbing yourself with them is hardcore.

The main reason was that I was using the cheap but same priduct of powdered extencillin and it used to clog the other needles at times.

If its the over priced gluppy solution form you are using I assume you can go to a lower Gauge without problems but I am not too sure.

If you are using powdered then a skilled person can get away with 23G minimum in my experience. Other people will chime in and give you some info I am sure.

It usually hurts for half hour or so after injections but it depends on how sensitive the area is and how clean the shot was.

You should swap cheeks and swap areas as scar tissue may form. I used to numb the area with a ice pack before hand. Could not have done without it.

Again most of my experience is with powdered form. I did the US version in the beginning but I cant for the life of me remember which G needles I used with it.

Hope this is some use to you.

--------------------
Pos BB and Bart(Q & H IGG pos)
Began treat 1 year after start of illness. Diagnosed Feb 2007.

Posts: 648 | From Ireland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the needle that comes with bicillin is 1.5" long and 21 gauge and that is what should be used because it'a an IM injection and the needle needs to be long enough to get into the muscle

a smaller gauge needle might clog

i did it myself for 6 months and did not find it painful

allow the bicillin to come to room temp

put the needle in very fast and then inject slowly, maybe 2-3 minutes total

you could ice the area before and/or after but i didn't find it necessary

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
double post

[ 07-29-2010, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: janet thomas ]

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n2themystic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n2themystic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping someone would say they were able to use a 23 gauge 1.5 inch needle but I am sure I will get used to these.

Anyone else with experience or tips with bicillin injections?

Posts: 186 | From colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 23 gauge needle is too thin to use for Bicillin injections. It is not the needle size that is causing you pain after the injection, it is the large amount of medication that your muscle is trying to absorb.

Make sure to relax before the injection. If someone else is giving it to you, lay down on your stomach and turn your feet inwards.

Rotate sites, use R and L, dorsogluteal and ventrogluteal sites.

After the injection apply heat and gently massage the area for a few minutes. Then walk around. These three things were a must for me. They reduce the pain and stiffness.

My muscle was always achy sore for a couple days after the injection. Ibuprofen and massaging the site every now and then help too.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with all these good posts. We set out the syringe for at least an hour or two to come to room temp. Then my husband injects for about 30 seconds. Immediately afterward he puts on a bandaid and the ice pack. He is careful to pinch tightly the area he will inject...that makes the shot more tolerable.

I stay on the ice for at least 30 minutes. It is really important to get on to it immediately. The pain is very much reduced that way.

Sometimes I am a bit sore the next day, but usually not. Our pain doctor showed him how to spiral the locations so we do not build up too much scar tissue in one or two areas.

She said to be sure to hit the large muscle at the top of the butt and do not hit the sciatic nerve along the side.

I am now up to 2 shots per week and seeing wonderful results. My speech is mostly fine, pain levels are way down and I can think much more clearly.

My biggest challenges are the fatigue, memory and trembling. But I think they will eventually improve, too.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can get an Rx for 1% lidocaine vial 50cc, you can mix it via sterile technique. You need the "Kendall 3 way stopcock, and 3cc sterile syringes" which can be ordered from amazon.com
You can PM me if you need step by step directions

Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drew
Member # 25220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone better explain why the oral pennicillin isn't enough? My doc ordered the shots, but I asked if I could do the oral instead. She didn't say efficacy was an issue, more that it was managment of all the pills as you need to take I think 12 pills a day to get the same levels in teh blood, etc.

Just curious if someone can shed light one why Bicllin (and the subesquent pain the "butt") is totally necessary...

Thanks!

Posts: 55 | From NY | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better sustained blood levels and tissue penetration with bicillin I think.
Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Ditto other posters' good info. Been doing them 3xweek for last 3 months, 21g needle 1.5" in length. I give them to myself. Weird/scary at first, now no problem.

I have used both the cheaper powder/mix version and US already to go versions. Sometimes, have trouble with needle clogging on the powder; but, for the most part, goes okay too.

I am sometimes sore for a day or so. I find if I walk it out, move around quite a bit for 10-20 minutes following - I'm less sore. I have not done ice, heat, numbing agents etc, too lazy and haven't felt the need for it.

I am still out on how much it's helping...I think it is, but oh-so-slowly. Not sure it will get me where I want to be, but will give it some more time before IV. My symptoms are completely neuro. Good luck! TS

Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tic chick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tic chick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I completely numb the area with an icepack before hubby gives me the shot. I was told to push it in quickly and that way was less painful. Making progress w/o a doubt but it is slow [Embarrassed] (

Blessings,
Tic

--------------------
Adversity is the diamond dust heaven polishes it's jewels with. � Robert Leighton

Daily world-wide prayers welcome for the Lyme Community - every day at 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time and 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time � all faiths welcome!

Posts: 309 | From S.E. Mass | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement