LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Doxy dosage for child

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doxy dosage for child
lou4656
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou4656     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am asking this question for someone else who has a child that is being treated for lyme disease. I am encouraging them to get an LLMD.

In the meantime, the child's symptoms are not improving in spite of antibiotic treatment. I suspect that the child is being undertreated.

For those of you who had children that were successfully treated with doxy, could you please give me the dosage that was prescribed?

The child is 10 years old and 90-95 lbs.
Thanks for your help!

--------------------
LouLou

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Check page 19 for children's dosages, based on kg body weight. 1kg is 2.2lbs, I THINK.

Parent was probably told doxycycline is contraindicated in children, so amoxicillin (?) was prescribed (unless allergic).

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my llmd did not want to do doxy on either of my children ages 8&11. Doxy can stain teeth in young children who do not have their permanent teeth in. So we are doing Ceftin.
Posts: 501 | From Hudson Ticky Valley, NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter had 3 weeks of amoxy and then 3 weeks of doxy with no impact. Neither was addressing her Babs.

We are now on Mepron and Zithromax. In week 6 (now in week 11) we started to see some results with day fever and attentativeness.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember that the very well known pediatric LLMD said at a conference that doxy can be used in children aged 8 and older.

This link says the same thing:

http://antibiotics.emedtv.com/doxycycline/doxycycline-for-children.html

Doxycycline for Children

Doxycycline is a prescription medication used for the treatment of several conditions, such as bacterial infections, acne, rosacea, and gum disease. This medication is approved for use in adults and children as young as 8 years old. When using doxycycline in children younger than 8 years old, it may cause permanent discoloration and altered development of teeth.

When children use doxycycline for various conditions, the dosage will be based on a weight chart, usually about 1 to 2 mg per pound of body weight per day. Children should generally be limited to 200 mg or less of doxycycline per day.

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou4656
Member # 10300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou4656     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about amoxy dosage? Thank's to those that have responded.

--------------------
LouLou

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi--

Make SURE the child is Not eating even Tiny
amounts of --

Dairy -- If it was me I would Stop Dairy
Totally during treatment time of the child ---

This is especially if the child is not
have access to the large enough amounts of Doxi--

-- Dairy Anything --can make doxi Useless --
Bottle label says 2 hours before eating any
dairy but longer is Better-

Most people dont have bad problems with
the Sun Exposure but Bad things can happen -

TINY amounts of Citrus Anything can cause
- Photo Toxic Reaction -that can happen when taking Doxi-Google it -

If it was me I would - Stop All Citrus -
till long into treatment -

If child's skin looks Red at All or
starts -- Tingling --
its Long Past Time time to have the child
out of the sun -
So keep a Eye on the clock -

I became Photo Toxic (PT) bad and you dont
want this to happen - So BeCareful -

I was drinking Lemonade Daily--OucH -
PT went away when I stopped All citrus --

Vitamins -- can also make Doxi Useless -
If child is Eating Well --
No need for child to be taking them now -

Eat a few Crackers when taking doxi dose -
will stop upset stomach problems--

Drink LOTS of water - Its Important -

Doxi Helped me a Huge Amount -- Jay --

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement