LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Liver Function Test???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Liver Function Test???
hildy0521
Member # 25133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hildy0521     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How often do most of you get your liver checked while on abx treatment? My llmd suggested I do an LFT once a month.

I've been on amoxicillin/zithromax for about a month and half and just had my 2nd LFT done and there was one abnormal result. My alkaline phosphatase level was elevated. It was 199 when the normal range is 33-115. Does anyone know what this means? All my other levels were normal.

I am waiting for my LLMD to call me back so I can ask him more questions.

Thanks for any feedback.

Posts: 29 | From Texas | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It's very common for the liver to be stressed both from lyme toxins and also from treatment. You can google the terms of the test to find out more about what it's telling you.

Many other medicines - and some OTC products can also stress the liver. Acetaminophen can be especially hard on the liver so be sure to check everything you are taking to see if that is an ingredient.

Are you taking Milk Thistle, NAC or other liver support?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hildy0521
Member # 25133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hildy0521     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No I am not taking anything for liver support because I am pregnant and I've read that milk thistle can be dangerous to baby. And llmd didn't suggest me take anything for liver support.

Do you know any other kind of liver support that is safe to take during pregnancy?

Posts: 29 | From Texas | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Well, I know GINGER root capsules are safe during pregnancy as they are used to help relieve nausea and vertigo - and pain. Ginger may have some liver support as I know it is anti-inflammatory but, as for the kind of protection that Milk Thistle affords, I'm not sure.

I don't know about others. If you have the links about where you read that about Milk Thistle, you might want to look at who was saying this. Were they trained in herbals? A good Lyme Literate ND (naturopathic doctor) or a L.Ac. (acupuncturist) would know more.

Somehow, it's really important to have some sort of specific liver support. This will also help to protect your ears from some of the effects that zith can create (tinnitus, etc.)

I have to rest now but will look over a few good sites I know and see what I find.

Hopefully, others will be along to comment, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Well, I delayed my rest and started looking but now really have to lie down. Some thoughts:

You might ask about Olive Leaf Extract to help treat systemic yeast (candida) from antibiotic use.

You might also ask about Probiotics. They are generally required, but with pregnancy, there may be one particular kind to get - or to avoid.

Not specific to lyme patients, but below is just one of many links from a Google search: "liver support" pregnancy

-----------------

http://www.vivantemidwifery.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/LiverSupportDuringPregnancy.pdf

Liver Support During Pregnancy

From: Frye, A. ``Understanding Diagnostic Tests in the Childbearing Year'' 6th Edition. 1997.

Excerpts:

Choline is a part of the B-vitamin complex which supports and heals the liver, kidneys and gallbladder. . . .

. . . Spring dandelion root tincture is a foremost liver tonic that can be safely used throughout pregnancy. However, it may prove to be too stimulating if the liver has been severely compromised in the past.

You can then try fall dandelion root, which is not as strong.

If you still experience liver tenderness, switch to yellow dock or other milder therapies. . . .

. . . [some dietary suggestions for greens, etc.]
-

hildy0521
Member # 25133

Thanks! I will look into the Dandelion Root. The information I've found online so far suggests it's safe to take during pregnancy.
mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattnapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KEEBLER- I HAVE MODERATE TINNITUS AND MY LLMD WANTS TO PUT ME ON ZITHRO. ARE THE EFFECTS GENERALLY TEMPORARY?
Posts: 357 | From California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
mattnapa,

It's a bit tricky. Lyme can cause hearing damage and it must be addressed. Some do okay with zithromax, others don't. So much has to do with how well one's liver and kidneys are working and the total load of ototoxic meds the body has to process. It can take a certain amount but - it can be like the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Zithromax can cause either temporary or permanent changes - but with liver support and avoiding other ototoxic meds or OTC products (that are non-essential) that may be ototoxic, the liver support can help your body better handle the drugs you really need to counter infection. Please see the second thread below about that.

Zithromax is discussed there as some say they had to stop it and change to something else while others say it helped decrease tinnitus by treating infection.

But also know that tinnitus has many causes AND also while on antibiotics our ears can be damaged much more easily even by the sound of a hairdryer, vacuum, blender, etc. Ear plugs or decibel (dB) rated muffs should be worn when around any sounds over about 85 dB - a hairdryer is about 100 dB.

Avoid in-the-ear pods for music - and use a cell phone as little as possible, best if not at all.

Cell phones are linked to tinnitus, too.

=========================

Ringing, hissing, roaring, pulsating sounds or sensations in the ears:

www.ata.org

AMERICAN TINNITUS ASSOCIATION

=================

Specifically for LYME patients - lots of details about ears and what can help:

3/4 of the way down page one, there are lots of LIVER LINKS:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

[ 08-02-2010, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattnapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that Keebler- I am not on other medication. The thought of more serious tinnitus scares me a bit. I really feel for people that have intense tinnitus. Mine tends to come in go in regard to more ear pressure seemingly caused by intermittent infection, so I tend to think I do not have serious permenant damage. I do not mean to put you on the spot, but can you perhaps dance around the question of whteher azitro is a good choice for someone in my circumstance please?
Posts: 357 | From California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Matt, is is best to read the links above and then discuss with your LLMD. You can also search - and cross search - at PubMed.

Lyme treatment often resolves tinnitus. Just have something as Plan B in case you need to switch. Liver care has to be excellent to help your ears, too.

The best thing you can do is NOT to use in-the-ear pods to listen to music and keep the volume down when you do listen or go out. Noise induced damage can change a life in an instant - or over time.

You might compare others' experiences with a search of past threads here for: Zithromax

Archives: http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/search/search_forum/1

============

Bottom line, though - you say: "The thought of more serious tinnitus scares me a bit."

If you seriously could not take an increase in tinnitus, do discuss choices other than zithromax.

However, it might be that if your liver care has not been tip-top or you've been around too much noise, if those variables change, you may be able to better tolerate Zith.

I can't say for sure, of course. It's an individual thing. But, as you study this, you'll learn lots about the liver and the ears that will serve you for life.

This book is very valuable on many levels. I hope you can get this: "Ototoxic Drugs" by Neil G. Bauman. At Amazon.
-

[ 08-02-2010, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement