LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Flagyl .... starting Monday and SCARED!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flagyl .... starting Monday and SCARED!!!!
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TN Kim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am supposed to start my Flagyl on Monday. I am to take 500 mg. twice daily for 3 weeks on then 3 weeks off.

I've read so many horrible reviews of this medication that I am seriously thinking of NOT taking it!

Number one ... I am emetophobic (fear of vomiting). I know that sounds crazy but I am and will NOT take or do anything that could possibly make me sick to my stomach!!!

Please be HONEST with me about the side effects of Flagyl!!!

Kim [Frown]

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

IgM � Igenex Positive & CDC/NYS Positive with 18+ ; 23-25+; 31+; 34+; 41+; 66+; 83-93 (IND)

IgG � Igenex Positive; CDC/NYS Negative with 31+; 39 (IND); 41++; 58+

Posts: 339 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it for 3 days and thought I was not going to be alive after those 3 days. I did not feel sick to my stomach, but I was in such SEVERE pain from head to toe, felt drunk, dizzy. Oh, and yeast went out of control.

I have not taken it again, but I know I will soon and am not looking forward to it at all.

you might not have any problems, just beware of the yeast issue. Good luck!

Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kim,

just start with 250 the first day and probably the second day if you are scared.
Then you can go higher if you feel comfortable.

I got headache with 750 a day for three days. If you take it with food and water you should not have stomach issues. But I started on lower dosage.

I have to add 1,500 mg of flagyl now to 200 doxy
but will start gradually.

Karen

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's very hard to take. No doubt about that. I never felt sick to my stomach, just weak and dizzy and sick. Headaches intensified a LOT.

That said, after one month of doxy I felt amazing progress.

It is worth it.

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another viewpoint on Flagyl concerning dosing and pulsing:

http://lymemd.blogspot.com/2008/07/do-you-have-to-take-flagyl.html

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm lost. Which made you better? Flagyl or the Doxy?

quote:
Originally posted by Michelle M:
It's very hard to take. No doubt about that. I never felt sick to my stomach, just weak and dizzy and sick. Headaches intensified a LOT.

It is worth it.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter just started it with Zithromax, and she has not felt any different. I think it's just different reactions for different people.

At least try it. It might not be so bad for you. I was a little worried about it myself, but so far things are fine.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took tindamax and was scared of the herx, only thing I got was a slight headache. I may try flagyl next
Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RAMP UP! *If it were ME* I would take only a sliver of a pill the first few days to see how I would react.

500 at once could be a bad scene if you ask me...

It's not that tough a drug (physically)... some love it. My main problem with it was depression. OMG bad.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TN Kim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your input. Yea, I suppose I could cut the pill in half and start like that.

I will most definitely make sure I take it with food and plenty of water as well.

Uugh, I HATE this! [Frown]

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

IgM � Igenex Positive & CDC/NYS Positive with 18+ ; 23-25+; 31+; 34+; 41+; 66+; 83-93 (IND)

Posts: 339 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ramped up on flagyl alone took 250 3X/day for 10 days then added zithro then wham a multiweek,
knee/leg herx, then very clear headed, then mood became serene etc. So flagyl crosses blood brain barrier and many LLMD/DO may start with that med first if neuro symptoms are severe. Is it also hitting Bart as well as Lyme/Bb, no one
has given the answer. Anyway I did get the sharp stabbing neuropathy pains in calves and feet and had to stop, wait, restart several times in 3-5 day pulses and that seems to work great. I found flagyl much, much easier on my tummy than Doxy. I am currently taking Doxy, bactrim ds (both also cross BBB/blood brain barrier) along with Artemisinin. If I forget to space meds or to take Doxy without food then I get nausea and reach for some peppermint or ginger tea and learn from my mistake:)

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kim,
you are right. Start on low dose. I had no psycho or depression problems at all. And if, just let your family know it is from flagyl.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drew
Member # 25220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, sorry to shift this a bit, but I thought Tindamax was Flagyl? Are they not the same?

I saw someone in this thread make reference to Tindamax. My Doc prescribed me Tindamax and I just started it today...I thought it was the same thing as flagyl just under a different/generic name...

Thanks to anyone who can explain...

Posts: 55 | From NY | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pj1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pj1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with tutu start low dose less than 1/4 pill and work up !

once you know how you will tolerate the med you can up to the prescribed dose !

flagyl has been a wonder drug for me , but we are all so different and seems each of us has a differing strain of this disease.

so what works great for one may not be so good for the next!

Posts: 294 | From sw chicago suburbs | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Thank you all SO much for your help and support! I might wait a couple more days before

starting the Flagyl as my husband might have to go out of town one day next week.

It would only be a one day trip but he would be unable to get back home quickly (flying) in

the event that I needed him. If he is in his normal office then he can be home within 30 minutes!

Kim

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drew:
[QB] Hi, sorry to shift this a bit, but I thought Tindamax was Flagyl? Are they not the same?

I saw someone in this thread make reference to Tindamax. My Doc prescribed me Tindamax and I just started it today...I thought it was the same thing as flagyl just under a different/generic name...

Thanks to anyone who can explain...

Tindamax is a slightly different drug from flagyl... a bit easier on the body.

www.drugdigest.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl and tindamax are the same "class" of drugs like the macrolide family is or cephalosporin group. Tindamax is newer and suppossed to be better tolerated than flagyl. Not sure if it is as effective?
Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take the whole dose as it is low to begin with. Flagyl is a great drug and you should not be afraid to take it. Don't let fear guide your thoughts during treatment. Flagyl helped get me well and it was a huge turning point.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephfino
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephfino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD said that Tindamax works like Flagyl but is easier on the gut. He prefers to order it over Flagyl.

I have just finished my first month of Tindamax.

I have taken it daily 500mg for 4 weeks straight. It has given me No stomach probs. I had headaches for about the first two weeks and then out of the blue they were gone.

Since adding the Tindamax- I am feeling less anxiety-and am finally even starting to get some sleep!!

I was VERY scared to start the Tindamax/ cyst busters from reading all of the posts here. But honestly it isn't that bad at all (for me).

Since I was soo nervous in the beginning, for the first 3 days I just broke the pill in half to 250mg..then increased it.

Posts: 160 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You said you'll wait as one day next week your husband may not be able to get home if you have a problem.

It's doubtful that flagyl will present that sort of problem - and - there is no perfect time to start. It may be good to find others upon whom you could call if needed. Or know the number of your local taxi, etc. so you could get yourself to where ever you needed to be or get brought in whatever you needed.

You also said you refuse to take anything that will make you sick to your stomach. In a gentle tone of voice, I highly doubt it is possible to get through any treatment without feeling nauseated to some degree. Lyme, itself, causes nausea.

And, if you have any inner ear issues (as are frequent with lyme), nausea can come from that. In that case, GINGER capsules can help.

For other kinds of actual irritation of the stomach lining, DGL, mastic gum, etc. are invaluable to me. You can them separately - or take both Ginger and a DGL product as they will complement each other.

Knowing how to offset that is helpful of course but so is just know how to ride the waves. For me, having someone around during those times is actually much harder, as long as I've planned ahead.

Biofeedback techniques are also helpful with nausea. At its worst, a Chinese formula called Pill Curing can save the day.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.vrp.com/ProductsSearch.aspx?k=ceaseFire

CeaseFire� wafers, DGL-Mastic Gum

Soothe and restore your stomach and intestinal tract with CeaseFire�. CeaseFire� delivers extracts of mastic gum and DGL (de-glycyrrhizinated licorice) in a pleasant tasting, cinnamon-flavored chewable wafer.

The first recorded use of mastic gum for soothing the intestinal tract is the year 1248. Through contemporary research, mastic gum has been shown to provide benefit for individuals with stomach upset and ulcerations in the duodenum.

Research also indicates that chewing mastic gum may reduce dental plaque. Since Egyptian times, licorice has been used to sooth stomach and intestinal upset*.

Vitamin Research Products uses the DGL (De-Glycyrrhizinated Licorice) form of licorice, the preferred form for supplementation.

It is best to take CeaseFire� on an empty stomach prior to meals and away from medication. Consume as needed, up to 3 servings per day. Please use appropriately. CeaseFire� is not intended to pacify conditions requiring medical attention.

=========================

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcZs6BYFyTo&feature=related

An acupuncture point for nausea - One minute video at YouTube

---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZTHjjGtuDA&feature=related

Acupressure for Anxiety, Panic Attacks, Palpitations - 0:46 video

-

[ 08-01-2010, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:
I'm lost. Which made you better? Flagyl or the Doxy?

quote:
Originally posted by Michelle M:

It is worth it.

Duh. Sorry about that. Flagyl. Not doxy.
Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't be afraid. Flagyl isn't that bad. I did 100mg right off the bat. no big issues.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Flagyl was great! I finally tried it, 1000mg for 4 days and it did increase my neuro symptoms but that meant it is working. I plan on repeating my pulse next week for 4 days at a higher dose. Everyone is different and I personally am lucky that I do not have intense herxes, just symptoms flare.

If you have been ill longer, I would think the herx could be worse. Flagyl or tindamax are so important.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement