LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do I have Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do I have Lyme?
switters
Member # 27337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for switters     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone,

A brief introduction: I was tested at IgeneX for Lyme back in 2004 due to "mysterious" health problems I had been having about five years prior. My symptoms didn't really fit the picture, but I was trying to rule things out. My results were:

PCR: negative (genomic), positive (plasmid) B burgdorferi
IgG: negative
IgM: positive - equivocal on 23-25, positive on 39 (one plus sign), positive on 41 (one plus sign)

At the time, my family doc was skeptical. I remember him saying something to the effect of "If you look for something hard enough, you'll find it." Because my symptoms were mostly gastrointestinal, and I had no memory of a tick bite, and didn't have many classic Lyme symptoms, I moved on.

Eventually I was diagnosed (confirmed via two different colonoscopies) with Crohn's disease. This fit my symptom picture pretty well, and so I forgot about Lyme and just focused on that for several years.

Fast forward to February of this year. I was walking my dog in a known endemic area and was bitten by an adult deer tick. I went to the doctor to have it removed, probably about 36 hours after the bite. The tick was sent to the county health department but they weren't able to determine if it was a carrier.

I did not have any flu-like symptoms after the bite, but over the next several weeks my "normal" symptoms worsened and intensified. Some of them, like muscle pain and "restless leg" at night, got worse. But these are things I have experienced before to one degree or another.

I began to suspect Lyme might be a possibility again, so after doing some reading I had a CD57 test. It came back at 38.

My understanding is that the clinical value of CD57 for predicting outcomes is controversial. Some Lyme patients who are very sick have high CD57, and some who are well have low CD57. But here's my question: is the CD57 diagnostic for Lyme? From what I've read, the only other thing that can lower CD57 is HIV. Is this true? Or is it possible that something else can do it?

I have an appointment with an LLMD in August. But before that I want to learn as much as I can about what might constitute a definitive diagnosis in my case. The question is, was it Lyme all along that was causing my health problems (misdiagnosed as Crohn's)? Or is this simply Crohn's disease that happened to get worse around the time I recently got bitten by a tick?

Obviously I don't want to start an expensive and intense treatment for a disease I'm not even sure I have.

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 7 | From Oakland, CA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I have lyme & co and most of my initial issues were GI. Not Crohns, but GERD and Gallbladder.

Now that I've started treatment they are much better.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you have Lyme & probably coinfections.

Band 39 is Lyme specific-your family doctor is poorly informed, seems to be common regarding Lyme and TBD (tick borne disease).

Here's an explanation of western Blot testing:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/42077

You're right-learn as much as you can, and then some more.

At the top of page one are quick links to popular topics.

This is a good start-

http://www.lymediseaseresource.com/BurrGuide2008.pdf

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey switters,

Have you posted here before under another name? If so, you don't need to register each time to ask questions.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
switters
Member # 27337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for switters     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup: no, this was my first post here. Why?

Janet: thanks for your response, and for the link. I'm kind of in shock after reading it. From what I understood after reading it, my 2004 was positive by even the conservative CDC criteria. Here are my full results:

18: +/-
22: -
23-25: +/-
28: -
30: +/-
31: -
34: +/-
37: -
39: +
41: +
45: +/-
58: +
66: +
73: -
83: -
93: +

Right there on the IgeneX report it says: CDC/ASTPHLD surveillance criteria and New York State interpretation: an IgM WB is positive if 2 of the following bands are present: 23-25, 39, 41.

So, unless I'm misunderstanding something, this was a positive result even by the conservative CDC criteria?

How in the world did my doctor miss this? How did I miss it? It's written right above the results. I don't think either of us would have been skeptical of a CDC positive result had we understood that's what it was (if indeed it was).

I have an appt. with an LLMD on August 24th. I guess that's the next step.

Posts: 7 | From Oakland, CA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've got a lot of reading to do before 8/24. Put your faith in yourself.

You can assume you've got coinfections. Testing is expensive and unreliable.

IMO, Babesia needs to be treated first or you're just spinning your wheels.

We're all here to help you.

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
switters
Member # 27337

Am I correct in assuming that these results are positive even by CDC criteria?
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the board.

I'm not sure about your results .... what does +/- mean? Are you posting the results for both your IgM and IgG together? Can you separate them? It's hard to tell what's what with the current format.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
switters
Member # 27337

Those are all IgM. The "+" and "-" are what IgeneX uses to indicate whether that specific band is positive or negative. "+/-" means equivocal, "+" means low intensity, "++" means medium intensity, and "+++" means high intensity.

The IgG was ruled negative by IgeneX so I didn't include those results.

As I said in the original post, I also had a positive PCR plasmid for BB in that same test (the genomic PCR was negative).

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, that helps, thanks! That does appear to be a lot of positives for an Igm!!

I'm glad you're scheduled to see an LLMD.

I had Crohn's symptoms as part of my Lyme symptoms. I had terrible parasites and bacterial overgrowth in my intestines. I was in such bad shape that little food was digesting and I had to eat an almost all liquid diet.

Now that I'm finished with Lyme treatment, my gut is coming back. I'm working on building the good bacteria still with lots of fermented food. I can eat normally again, but have a little trouble with raw veggies. I take HCL to help with digestion.

So, GI issues can be caused by Lyme and all the other issues Lyme brings with it.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Borrelia burgdorferi is Bb not BB.

Yes, your western Blot is CDC positive.

Please read the Burrascano information.

Do you trust your family doctor?

--------------------

switters
Member # 27337

I haven't seen a family doctor in a long time. I'll go to see her after I see the LLMD to figure out how much (if at all) she'll be willing to help. I'm not counting on anything from her.

I've read the Burrascano info - thanks. I've also read Buhner's book, Cure Unknown, Insights Into Lyme Disease Treatment, and a lot of online articles. Clearly I have a lot to learn. This is such a huge subject.

I'm an acupuncturist and herbalist myself, so I lean towards using Buhner's protocol in addition to the antibiotics. I have a lot of training in functional and nutritional medicine that I imagine will be helpful along the way.

sixgoofykids, interesting that you mention parasites. I have tested positive for Blastocystis hominis a couple of times over the years. In fact, I thought that was the source of my problems for quite a while. It is probably still contributing it, but now I'm beginning to understand that the reason I haven't been able to get rid of it is probably Lyme.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that long list of +'s is from 2004?? That would be plenty for ME to decide to get treated!!

Six.. the +/- was what they used before they switched to "IND."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
switters
Member # 27337

I'm really blown away right now. It's going to take me a while to get over the fact that I had a CDC positive result and my doctor dismissed it as insignificant. That's more than six years of unnecessary suffering and wasted time.

I think my doctor really didn't trust IgeneX, and that's why he dismissed the result. I remember something about him calling IgeneX and asking them what percentage of test results are positive for Lyme and what percentage are negative. When they wouldn't tell him, he became suspicious - and that's when he said "If you look for something hard enough, you usually find it."

He was an amazing doctor in so many ways - very caring, holistically oriented and he helped me a lot. But he really missed the boat on this one, and so did I.

The past is the past, though. I need to focus on how to get well.

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Ohhh, Lymetoo, that makes sense now!

Switters, my parasite tests came out negative. I did test positive for klebsiella and citrobacter, so started herbs, and was surprised by seeing a huge tapeworm. I was taking Humaworm.

Then I saw roundworms while on Nutramedix enula.

Bartonella also seemed to contribute to my intestinal problems. http://www.healthcentersofamerica.com/information.cfm?id=140

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement