LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Vitamin D = Sick

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vitamin D = Sick
lymeshmyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeshmyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else get sun sick in the sun, or sick when they take VD?

My LLMD said it looks like I'm not processing it --- IE, I'm getting sick when I'm in the sun or take a pill.

Real sick.

My head starts to tingle and get hot, my skin tingles and gets hot and rashy and red and I get so drugged/drowsy that I can hardly talk or walk or even know where I am/who I am.

Last night was terrible, as I took a calcium pill but it had some VD in it. I didn't think it would hurt since it wasn't mega doses, but I was very wrong.

I never had problems with VD or the sun until recently. I've been infected with Lyme for 2 years, with the last several months being the worst of the symptoms.

Posts: 256 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes D made me a lot worse. And I still won't take it. I know what everyone says but it is not for me.

And I have improved very well without it. They found the biofilm contains a lot of calcium, so I try to get what I need in food sources and not feed the ketes.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UVA and UVB

trigger inflammation!!!

Mice infected with lyme are worse when exposed to sunlight.

I suspect, Bb, like HIV, NEEDS inflammation to happen.

There is a Japanese doctor who says our macrophages aren't working. Think of them as Pac-Men. They are supposed to "gobble up"/ "breakdown" Bb.

He says in effect, the macrophages are not able to work because vitamin D is not bound.

(I am assuming you know we make vitamin D when exposed to sunlight.)

Because the infected defense cells (cancer and HIV) release an enzyme that breaks carbohydrates off a protein (glycoprotein) that is the precursor to MAF = MACROPHAGE ACTIVATING FACTOR protein.

The enzyme breaks off a carbohydrate from Gc protein so GcMAF doesn't "work".

Bb (and us!) have that enzyme that "steals" the carbohydrates off that glycoprotein which makes it difficult for our macrophages to complete their job.

That doctor has figured out a way to reactivate GcMAF and is curing cancer and HIV.

This is quite "new" research.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a topic on which I'm confused.

The Marshall Protocol says Vit D is bad, while some doctors consider it essential citing that it may feed the 'chetes, but the body needs it as well. 'Chetes can't eat if you're killing 'em.

For men, Vitamin D is supposed to be the largest factor in preventing prostate cancer (quercetin, saw palmetto, and flax seeds help too). Given the stress that Lyme and co's inflict on the prostate, we need all the help we can get.

Personally, I don't notice any ill effects from taking D. I wonder what other factors cause such sensitivity.

The big question is, how much to take. There are the recommended guidlines, which if exceeded can cause liver damage. But when the body is deficient, the recommended guidelines go out the window. So for me, Vitamin D is a big question mark.

--------------------
-chaps
�Listen to the bell, Borrelia. It tolls for thee!�

Posts: 631 | From A little place called, "we'll see." | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take prescription vitamin D. Started with 50,000 IUs 2x a week, now taking 50,000 IUs once a week. I have been doing this for months.

I think the point is to keep the D level up close to 100. I feel better physically with my D up.

Also the range for vitamin D has been raised just recently. The low is now 50 instead of 30. Don't remember what the high is. I think 150.

Lots of new research on all the great benefits of vitamin D.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are probably experiencing a herx. Vit D is prescribed by most LLMD's now as it helps fight killing it.

Remember, whenever you heat up your body with any method, sun, saunas, hot tubs.... you are killing off these little buggers. They do not like heat.

If you're getting worse with it, then you're fighting it. As Sutherngrl stated... lots of new research on the benefits on Vit D... look it up.

I will get a bit sick feeling from the sun too, but then afterward a step better. I consider it my slow 'natural' way that I can kill these things myself! [dizzy]

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catdog
Member # 26365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catdog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chaps-

last novemember, before my lyme diagnosis, my PCP said my multitude of symptoms was prob a vit D deficiency. blood test confirmed i was severely vit D deficient. i scored a 9 when normal is at least 50. for 8 wks i took 50k IU's per wk.

i was also b12 deficient, scoring in the low 200's when i should have been over 400.

8wks later (in Feb), followup blood tests showed that my level was up to 43 but when i said i still didn't feel well, she said i was "just depressed".

at that appointment she suggested that i take 1k IU's per day. i didn't take her "depression" diagnosis and saw a LLMD in June and finally got my lyme diagnosis. he recommended 2k IU's per day. so that's what i take and i don't have any ill affects from it.

i do have a sun & heat issue though. i seem prone to heat exhaustion/stroke if i'm in the sun for long periods of time. even if i make sure to drink lots of fluids, wear sun block, and stay out of direct sun.

Posts: 95 | From IL | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had my LLMD tell me that Vit D is NOT for all lyme patients. I handle Vit D really well, and take 50,000 IU's twice a week, and she told me to continue to take it. However, she said, many do not, and it is not advised. It's all dependent on how you respond.

She echoed what has already been said, that the spirochete feeds on Vit D.

I'm currently being treated for babesia, so that may be why there's been improvement with Vit D, and others who have more predominant lyme symptoms cannot tolerate Vit D.

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Even if spirochetes like vitamin D, if my body requires it and it's being robbed, I still need to get D to my cells. Spirochetes are not going to die from withholding one key nutrient, anyway - it's more complex than that and by withholding it from my body, great harm comes to me and then the spirochetes have won.

Each person varies as to their needs. But I'm not about to withhold a vital nutrient if my body needs it. There are other ways to address the infection besides starving my cells.

Chaps, for clarification, the Marshall Protocol does NOT says Vit D is bad - as much as they are saying that SOME people have WAY TOO MUCH and that creates toxicity, etc.

The Marshall Protocol is not right for everyone. Actually, only a very few meet the criteria for that protocol.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks catdog and Keebler. I feel better about taking D now. When I went to the Fibro and Fatigue Center in Atlanta a while back one of their tests indicated I was low in Vit D and I was prescribed the pharma grade (it think it was 50K) to take once a week.

Right now, I'm taking 4,400 IU/day (30K a week). I have no idea whether that's too much or not enough.

I don't think the sun bothers me that much. In fact, I'm going out on to the roof today to clean out the dryer vent. Hope I don't get dizzy up there! Hahahahahaha!

--------------------
-chaps
�Listen to the bell, Borrelia. It tolls for thee!�

Posts: 631 | From A little place called, "we'll see." | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It is important to get blood tests to determine if your dose of Vitamin D is correct. Too much is very toxic to the nervous system.

If you are taking doxycycline, it's vital to AVOID the sun, totally.

About getting dizzy up on the roof. It's a very serious matter, actually. If you are experiencing any degree of vertigo, you might have someone else do that.

Once vertigo comes on, it can be impossible to take the corrective action as my body just freezes. I've have many falls from the inability to control my limbs after I know a fall has started. Be careful.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prolonged sun exposure or taking Vit D supplinebts makes me just want to crawl up and go to sleep. D effects everyone differently but there are many of us need to take note if we get weak after Sun/D esposure.
I am on the MP and do rife as D just increases inflamation for me and I become more ill.
As mentioned everyone is different.

Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garunner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for garunner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nellers,
My reaction to sun exposure or heat is exactly the same as yours. I've been treating for almost 2 years, and I still can't get it under control. Recently, I have been deficient in Vitamin D and am taking supplements, but don't notice any particular reaction to that.

I would be VERY interested to know if you find the answer to your sun intolerance. I would love to spend time outdoors again one day!

--------------------
IV graduate. As of 1/10, oral Omnicef, Minocyline, Mycobutin, Levaquin, and Flagyl. Lyrica and a bunch of supplements.

Posts: 123 | From Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to be able to tolerate vitamin D from the sun but not from supplements.

When I take vitamin D supplements, my facial twitching gets much worse.

But, not from the sun. Don't know why.

Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement