LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » B12 shots...Guidance needed please!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: B12 shots...Guidance needed please!
libby333
Member # 26573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libby333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am supposed to be giving myself B12 shots twice a week, as perscribed by me LLMD.

I have given myself 2 shots so far in my thigh. The first time went ok...just left a bruise.

The second time it hurt so bad and when I pulled out the needle some of the medicine came back out of my leg...that can't be good.

I'm not sure if I should should be sticking the very long needle all the way into my leg, or just half way.

Plus, I have shakey hands anyway...so this makes it difficult in itself.

I would get my mom to do it, but she would probably pass out just from seeing the needle.

Any guidance/advice would be greatly helpful!

Thanks,
Libby333

Posts: 27 | From Cottontown, Tn | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What size needle are you using? The one I use is very short and fine. What dose are you taking?

I have found that if I give the shot in the upper area of my thigh, there is no pain at all. Maybe try a different spot?

Before you pulled the needle out did you push the plunger all the way down?

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libby333
Member # 26573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libby333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The needle is longer than 1 inch. I am taking 1 mL twice a week.

I did push the plunger all the way down.

I was worried that I was in a vein...even though I didn't see any blood.

Can I get a needle that is smaller than that? Or do I have to have another script for it?

Thanks!

Posts: 27 | From Cottontown, Tn | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have 1 inch needles and i double checked with the pharmacy as they seemed really long for subcutanous injections......but they said that was correct......gave it in my stomach............was fine...........you can google or ask.com.........the procedure and it gives you all the sites....etc.....make sure you have it in the correct place and get a shorter needle..............

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first started them, I had a very small needle, probably 1/2 inch or less. That prescription was really written for my 12 year old.

I tried to get that same size, but have ended up with a 1 1/2 inch needle. I try not to put it in all the way, but usually it goes in further than I intend. The only part that hurts a little is when it first goes in.

Sometimes it does sting a little bit, but not very often.

My LLMD acted like it was not a big deal if some of it came back out like that.

I think you can ask the pharmacy for a smaller needle. I was able to get a smaller one at one point, but when I switched pharmacies, they went back to the big one.

You will get used to it. I was freaked out about the big needle recently, but it really isn't that bad.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dose is 25MG/ML injected daily. I use a BD 3/10cc needle.
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libby333
Member # 26573

Florence1- I was told not to inject into my stomach...is that right? I guess it is fine since you do! [Razz]

jkmom- Thanks for the info! I was thinking I had to push the needle in all the way. That really helps. I guess I was thinking I had to push it all the way in so that I could get to the muscle.

I am going to try to get a smaller needle if I can.

I am such a baby! I just can't get past stabbing myself with a needle...I guess that will come with practice.

janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not your butt? Hurts a lot less.

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libby333
Member # 26573

Janet- do you give it to yourself in the butt or does someone do it for you?
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I give myself the shot in the 'fatty' part of the waist area, what I can twist and do towards my back. Pinch it together, that way it doesn't hurt at all. I was told to use the longer needles that in time, if you do not get deep enough, it could discolor my skin.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes i do it myself-also IM Bicillin-it is very easy after a few times.

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you ask the pharmacy if you are supposed to stick the needle in at a 45 degree angle, or perpendicular to the skin (which would be 90 degrees)?

Mine is supposed to go in at a 45 degree angle.

I would just call the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist how to inject. Ask them if they would like you to pull back on the plunger before injecting to see if you hit a vein (aka, look for blood to come into the syringe.

For mine, they didn't tell me to do that, but my shots may be different (don't know the length of my needle) than yours.

Also, sometimes I have medicine leak out when I pull the needle out. I don't think that is a big deal. But I would check on if they want you to pull back, to see if you hit a vein or not.

I wouldn't stick the needle in halfway. I'm sure they gave you that length for a reason. Also, if it's in halfway, it seem like it would be easier to accidentally pull it out while injecting.

I would call the pharmacy with a list of questions, and get all of them answered. I would also ask where on your body they want you to inject.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mariski
Member # 24942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mariski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am injecting myself with glutatione and MB12 combined and I also put my injections into the butt. Really easy and no pain at all. I use a very fine needle, 25G 1 1/2" long.
Posts: 40 | From New York | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libby333
Member # 26573

Thank you all so much for the help and advice! I am so lucky to have found this support so early into my treatment! [Big Grin]

I am calling my pharmacy a.s.a.p. in the momrning with my list of questions!

Thanks again!

'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LL N.D. always suggests the upper leg muscles (thighs) for the methylcobalamin shots- every other day for me- & alternate between legs.

Ya just wipe the desired area with 91% isopropyl alcohol & pop [what's usually] a 3/4" to 1 inch needle fully into the muscle mass (remember- these are spozed to be Intra-Muscular shots) & s-l-o-wly inject the (typically) 1 ml dose. Try not to twist or tilt the needle.

As I'm quite lean, my LL M.D. said a 5/8" needle-syringe would be acceptable.
These are a lot less "threatening" looking as the B-D brand 5/8" disposable syringes only Hold 1ml!

However, most adults are more "full-figured" than I & will need Atleast a 3/4" needle, if not 1".

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine are labelled as being "subcutaneous" ("under the skin"), so I believe that's different than the intramuscular ones. The subcutaneous go in at 45 degrees, so the medicine goes under the skin.

I think with the subcutaneous, the needle is shorter and that's why you don't need to check to see if you hit a vein.

So I think calling your pharmacy, giving them your prescription number, and asking them how they want you to do the shots is the best bet.

As you can tell, there are different ways/methods.

Good luck!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just going to say that..it seems some people have an intramuscular injection prescription and some subcutaneous (fatty tissue under the skin)............so you need to check what yours in..........that will make a difference..........and then the length of needle will change depending if you need to get to muscle or not..............

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momquixote
Member # 9046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momquixote     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor has me do intramuscular B-12 injections, with the longer needle. I usually do it in my thigh, and sometimes I barely feel it, but other times it really hurts. I've begun taking them in my hip, which seems more comfortable. Be very careful, though, as placement in the hip is important, so that you miss the sciatic nerve. A call to your MD might be a good thing.
Posts: 6 | From Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement