LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » BSP 201, Reduces Inflammation (Shea Nut Extract)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BSP 201, Reduces Inflammation (Shea Nut Extract)
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BSP 201, Inflammation Management

TerryK mentioned this med/supplement here:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/97692#000005

I googled it and found this:
http://www.forresthealth.com/bsp-201.html

quote:

BSP 201
The Next Generation in Inflammation Management
BSP-201 with High Triterpene Shea Nut Extract

BSP-201 addresses the root cause of inflammation-based conditions.
Pharmaceutical - standard clinical research proves BSP-201 down-regulates cytokine production:

TNF-a mean reduction: 24%*
IL-6 mean reduction: 31%*
CRP mean reduction: 21%*

Over 30 clinical trials and studies, including human, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials prove BSP-201 significantly reduces inflammation by regulating cytokine production.

No side effects, No allergies, No contradications.

Price: $51.30
90 gels, Serving Size: 3 softgels
Servings per Container: 30

High Triterpene Shea Nut Extract (HTSNE),
> 70%# Butyrospermum parkii (pit) 2250 mg

Here are the same ingredients at iHerb:
Flex Now, Joint Formula, 90 Easy-to-Swallow Softgels
SRP: $49.95
Our price: $39.96 (less your discount at checkout)
SheaFlex 70# Butyrospermum parkii (pit) 2250 mg

http://www.iherb.com/Flex-Now-Joint-Formula-90-Easy-to-Swallow-Softgels/13945?at=0

And Vitacost has it too:
FlexNow Quadruple Action Joint Formula -- 90 Softgels
Retail price: $44.95
Our price: $24.39
SheaFlex70™ High Triterpene Shea Nut Extract (HTSNE),
>70% Butyrospermum parkii (pit) 2250 mg

http://www.vitacost.com/FlexNow-Quadruple-Action-Joint-Formula

Now why have I not heard of this one before?
Carol

[ 08-24-2010, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: Carol in PA ]

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Carol,
I was just getting ready to order the BSP when I found the FlexNow product for 24.99 at Lucky Vitamins. Looks like the same ingredients to me too. I have a call into the company to verify that it is indeed the same ingredients. If they call me back I'll post their response here.

Glad they are selling it to the public at less than 1/2 the price but I'll bet the professional who is selling it won't be happy that they look like they are gouging their patients.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VitaminShoppe.com and LuckyVitamin.com also have it at the lowest price.

Amazon carries it too.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000NW2AGC/

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iwillsurvive333
Member # 25462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iwillsurvive333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone have good luck with this stuff?
Posts: 9 | From California | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

quote:
Originally posted by iwillsurvive333:
anyone have good luck with this stuff?

I don't know.
I did a search for info about it at LymeNet, and didn't see anything.

But if you look at the links, you can read reviews from people who tried it.

Carol

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the company, these products are identical just marketed differently.

My doctor recommended this product for inflammation. I've already ordered it and will start taking it as soon as I get it.

I've been working on inflammation for several years. Can't seem to keep it under control when I start new or increased doses of meds. Too much die off for my body to get rid of even with binders.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

J Oleo Sci. 2010;59(6):273-80.

Anti-inflammatory and chemopreventive effects of triterpene cinnamates and acetates from shea fat.

Akihisa T, Kojima N, Kikuchi T, Yasukawa K, Tokuda H, T Masters E, Manosroi A, Manosroi J.

College of Science and Technology, Nihon University, 1-8 Kanda Surugadai, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 1001-8308, Japan. [email protected]

Abstract
Four triterpene acetates, alpha-amyrin acetate (1a), beta-amyrin acetate (2a), lupeol acetate (3a), and butyrospermol acetate (4a), and four triterpene cinnamates, alpha-amyrin cinnamate (1c), beta-amyrin cinnamate (2c), lupeol cinnamate (3c), and butyrospermol cinnamate (4c), were isolated from the kernel fat (n-hexane extract) of the shea tree (Vitellaria paradoxa; Sapotaceae).

Upon evaluation of these eight triterpene esters for inhibitory activity against 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA)-induced inflammation (1 microg/ear) in mice, all of the compounds tested exhibited marked anti-inflammatory activity, with ID50 values in the range of 0.15-0.75 micromol/ear, and among which compound 3c showed the highest activity with ID(50) of 0.15 micromol/ear. Compound 3c (10 mg/kg) further exhibited anti-inflammatory activity on rat hind paw edema induced by carrageenan, with the percentage of inflammation at 1, 3, and 5 h of 35.4, 41.5, and 45.5%, respectively.

The eight triterpene esters were then evaluated for their inhibitory effects on Epstein-Barr virus early antigen (EBV-EA) in Raji cells as a primary screening test for inhibitors of tumor promoters. All the compounds showed moderate inhibitory effects.

Furthermore, compound 3c exhibited inhibitory effect on skin tumor promotion in an in vivo two-stage carcinogenesis test using 7,12-dimethylbenz [a] anthracene (DMBA) as an initiator and TPA as a promoter. The biological activities of triterpene acetate and cinnamate esters, together with the exceptionally high levels of these triterpenes in shea fat, indicate that shea nuts and shea fat (shea butter) constitute a significant source of anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor promoting compounds.

PMID: 20484832 [PubMed - in process]Free Article

pab
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think this would work for brain inflammation?

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Peggy, I'm interested in this, too. Even if it does not directly affect the brain (but it may, I've just not read up on that yet), anything that helps decrease inflammation in the body will lighten the total inflammation load and provide relief to the brain, too.

In addition that information perhaps being in the links above, you'll find some results that look interesting from

a Google search: "BSP 201", brain

------ and:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

PubMed Search:

BSP+201, brain - The following term was not found in PubMed: BSP+201.

The following term was not found in PubMed: sheanut+oil+extract.

However: Sheanut - 8 abstracts
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler!

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nutmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nutmeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Carol,

My chiropractor had me try the Flex Now a couple of years ago for joint inflammation--low back, SI joint, and right knee. We were hoping it might work for systemic inflammation too.

I used it for several months at least, and off and on since then, but sorry to say I never noticed that it did anything. I think I was taking three gelcaps a day. No effect on my very elevated CRP level either.

I still have some and do take it occasionally. Probably taking it on a regular basis would be better. Maybe I will try it again. I had good luck finding it on sale at the health food store for $24.99.

Hope it helps someone!
Nutmeg

Posts: 386 | From WA state | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

FlexNow - 2 Bottles (one free) $39.96
http://www.powerofshea.com/flexnow-buy-one-get-one-free-6

Free shipping, too.

kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder, if pure shea butter would do the trick also?
Posts: 269 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great find. Inflammation is part of the disabling symptoms that come with this disease. Anything to control it is useful. This may be another important tool for Lyme treatment in general.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement