LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » extreme morning fatigue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: extreme morning fatigue
echorox2
Member # 20613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for echorox2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
has anybody else experienced this?

I go to bed feeling relatively fresh [certainly not over tired]
I sleep peacefully and soundly
when its time to get up and out of bed Im totally shattered with a draining fatigue
its like I've been hit by a train and aching all over.. horrible stuff!!

Posts: 18 | From Waterford, Ireland | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the opposite happen to me. I go to bed in pain and fatigued, and wake up feeling pretty good in the morning.

Then I get worse through the day.

If I am herxing, then I may wake up the same or worse than the night before.

I know that some others have reported feeling worst in the morning, though.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jalama
Member # 14600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jalama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I feel unbelievably horrible in the morning. My whole body hurts from fatigue. It takes me hours before I'm able to get out of bed. I don't know why it's so bad in the morning...
Posts: 87 | From NorCal | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too... Especially in the early morning hours around 4 or 5 it feels like death warmed over.. By 2 pm I'm feeling relatively normal

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out sleep problems as a possible cause. Sometimes you think you are getting deep sleep, but you really aren't. No way of knowing without a sleep study.

You would need to see a sleep doctor to get this figured out. I found out I have apnea after the study, and never had a reason to suspect it, at all, except for the daytime fatigue.

Hoping the treatment will help. Haven't started yet.

Good luck!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like adrenal fatigue to me. Have you had your cortisol levels tested?

I recently experienced this again and had saliva testing done. My morning cortisol level was over twice the normal range, my noon was below normal, and my evening was high. Even though it seemed like I was sleeping well, it was not refreshing sleep.

I have been taking adrenal supplements recommended by my doctor, and it has already made a difference.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What supplements work for adrenal fatigue?

Thanks!

Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The supplements you need depend on your test results. Some people have cortisol levlels that are too high, some have levels that are too low, some have both.

My morning level is over double what it should be and my night level is also above normal. Because of this, my doctor has me taking SedaLin and Seriphos before bed. My noon level is below normal, so my doctor has me take Adreset around mid-morning.

I think it is a good idea for everyone who has Lyme to have their adrenal function tested. From what I undersand, saliva testing is more reliable than blood testing.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Sammi. I'll talk to my daughter's LL NP. I think she would be willing to test for adrenal function.
Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

My doctor uses Aeron lab http://www.aeron.com/about_aeron.htm

Good luck!

Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammi,

I was trying to find the prices of the testing, but couldn't. Can you help with that?

Thanks!

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
echorox2
Member # 20613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for echorox2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks to everybody who have posted a reply to my original question
at least now I know there could be a valid reason why I'm feeling this way
I must now start on getting tests/analysis done

Posts: 18 | From Waterford, Ireland | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Need Lots of Help, I think the cortisol testing is around $150.00. You give a saliva sample first thing in the morning, around noon, at 4:00 pm, and at bed time.

Call to make sure though, the number listed on the website is 800-631-7900 option 6.

For those that have not done so, it is also important to have all other hormone levels tested--Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone, Estradiol, DHEA.

Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammi,

Thanks, will call LLMD and request all tests.

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Tests may be of some help but they are not as helpful as we might wish for many reasons. First, fluctuations not just hour to hour but day to day - testing shows only one point in time and it just cannot capture all details and show an incomplete picture.

Lyme, itself, causes fatigue - that usually comes in waves - and that is likely not to be resolved until near completion of treatment. Sorry. But it's true. Fatigue is just the number one symptom. But, as the infection is treated - and with adequate support and self care measures - you can find some levels of relief, or at least a better understanding so as not to fight it and use even more energy.

Diet, too, matters. You may not be getting enough nutrients or fiber.

Liver damage from infection, and the stress of treatment, also adds to fatigue. In fact the liver is a huge player with deep fatigue and "unsuccessful" sleep/rest. But that's another topic. Adrenal/endocrine matters were mentioned above. More about all that:
------------

ADRENAL LINKS:

This book is specific to lyme and other chronic stealth infections. The author discusses the endocrine connection and effects of STRESS on a person with such infections. You can read customer reviews and look inside the book at this link to its page at Amazon.

http://tinyurl.com/6xse7l

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, And Heart Disease (Paperback) - 2005

by Russell Farris and Per Marin, MD, PhD

==================

Remember that lyme really messes up the HPA axis (Hypothalamus/pituitary/adrenal network). The pituitary has much to do with weight/growth. Mess up any part of the endocrine system and other parts suffer, too.

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

See page 4 where Dr. Burrascano describes a bit about the considerations of the dysfunction with the HYPOTHALAMIC-PITUITARY AXIS

===============================

Many good basic articles about Adrenal Dysfunction:

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=Adrenal_Dysfunction

=========================

Cordyceps is recommend here:

This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)

========================

Great information about treatments options and support measures, including those to help adrenal/endocrine function:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

http://webhome.idirect.com/~wolfnowl/thyroid7.htm

Get To Know Your Endocrine System -by Lauri M. Aesoph, N.D.

Excerpt:

(section on) Adrenal Glands

. . . Your body reacts to these hormones with a "flight or fight" response: pounding heart, dilated pupils and high blood pressure. . . .

http://www.prohealth.com/ME-CFS/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=14383&B1=EM031109C

http://tinyurl.com/detwtt

Underactive Adrenal Gland - Stresses and Problems with the Body's 'Gear Box' - by Dr. Sarah Myhill, MD

=======================

Many libraries carry this book and you can read 95 customer reviews here (average 4.5 star out of 5) AND see inside the book:

www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatigue-Century-Stress-Syndrome/dp/1890572152/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263516913&sr=8-1

Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome

~ James L. Wilson, ND, DC, PhD, Johnathan V. Wright, MD

About $10. And qualifies for free shipping with a total $25. Purchase at Amazon

======================

http://tinyurl.com/y8bd9k2

Curcumin Prevents Some Stress-Related Changes (By CP Staff)

Excerpts:

A recently published study investigated the effects of curcumin, a constituent of the botanical turmeric, on changes in cognition and memory caused by stress. . . .

. . . In this new study, researchers investigated the effect of curcumin supplementation on stress-induced learning defects in mice. . . .

. . . In addition, curcumin reversed the stress-induced increase in the levels of serum corticosterone, the primary hormone secreted during the stress response. . . .

. . . The researchers concluded, ``Thus, curcumin may be an effective therapeutic for learning and memory disturbances as was seen within these stress models, and

its neuroprotective effect was mediated in part by normalizing the corticosterone response, resulting in down-regulating of the phosphorylated calcium/calmodulin kinase II and glutamate receptor levels.''

===========================

This is not a lyme book.

This book has only one reference to lyme (in the historical use of sarsarparilla for another spirochetal infection). However, it is a vital first book to read - or a reference - for anyone interested in understanding nutritional methods.

Search for Ashwagandha; Cordyceps; Siberian Ginseng in this book:

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com

The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tillotson)

Graciously, much of this book is on line. It can also be purchased from this site or through Amazon where you can look inside the book and see many customer reviews.

Amazon link to this book: http://tinyurl.com/6zapeh

=====================

The Rhodiola Revolution byt Richard P. Brown, MD and Patricia L. Gerbarg, MD, et.al.

See this at Amazon.

======================

http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2006/august/0804.pdf

THE REQUIREMENTS OF PROTEIN & AMINO ACID DURING ACUTE & CHRONIC INFECTION . . . - 20 pages

Anura V. Kurpad - Institute of Population Health & Clinical Research, Bangalore, India 129. Indian J Med Res 124, August 2006, pp 129-148.

Excerpt:

" . . . In general, the amount of EXTRA protein that would appear to be needed is of the order of 20-25 per cent of the recommended intake, for most infections. . . ."

- Full article at link (or google the title if it does not go through).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Regarding SELF-CARE BASICS:
---------------------------

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease (Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

------------
As important as any supplements, sections regarding self-care:

Go to page 27 for SUPPORTIVE THERAPY & the CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES

and also pages 31-32 for advice on a safe, non-aerobic exercise plan and physical rehabilitation.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
www.townsendletter.com/FebMar2006/lyme0206.htm

BIOCHEMISTRY OF LYME DISEASE: BORRELIA BURGDORFERI SPIROCHETE / CYST

by Prof. Robert W. Bradford and Henry W. Allen

EXCERPT:

. . . A discovery of great importance relating to a toxin produced by the causative agent of Lyme disease, Borrelia burgdorferi, has been linked to a similar toxin produced by the organism Clostridium botulinum (botulism). . . .

===========================

Keeping in mind the toxic nature - and understanding that when we sleep our body does its work to help clean up and rejuvenate - be sure to read all about how the liver deals with that. It works very hard for us when we are sleeping.

3/4 of the way down page one, there are lots of LIVER LINKS - not just about supplements but also great detail about how the liver works:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

Sammi
Member # 110

Need Lots of Help, good luck!
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I DO NOT do mornings!!! This has been true for many years.

BUT I am getting a bit better with it. The pain is very much lower with the Bicillin shots and the increased Armour thyroid is definitely helping.

Keebler: you are a walking encyclopedia of knowledge!!!! I am in awe of your ability to understand this stuff. I am sure that the adrenals are involved, but there is no way I can absorb all of it. I can hardly absorb a movie. So I will pass it along to my husband. He is a science geek and great with this stuff.

All my life I have been very thin, even frail. I was very active, energetic with a very busy life raising three kids and running my business.

After my illness began, my thyroid went crazy and was removed. I promptly gained 100 pounds! Nothing could get it off. And I could hardly walk, breathe or do anything.

Now my LLMD is closely monitoring my hormone levels, my metabolic rates, etc. The new thyroid med is helping a lot and I am losing the weight and starting to resemble my old self.

Another trick for morning recovery: take your pain meds early as you can and then go back to sleep. When you awaken, get a heavy duty protein shake down. Mine is 41 gr protein, unsweetened yogurt, a few strawberries, some orange juice and ice cubes. I get the protein powder at Trader Joe's.

This sustains me until mid afternoon when I eat a small amount of yogurt and fruit or a tuna sandwich. Then we eat a very light dinner but a healthy one.

I am sure that the adrenals play a big role in all of this....I just don't understand it yet. Eventually I will....after I am better and don't need the enlightenment! [Smile]

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvema
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same thing happens to me, and I have no Idea why. I don't know. I always thought it is a lyme thing. I have energy before I go to bed, and I don't feel tired at all. I don't even feel sleepy. I sleep for like 9 hours, and I get up. I feel so tired to even talk. It is like someone beat the hell out of me the night before. It's horrible. Extreme fatigue. Through night time, I get more energy. I hate it. I want to be able to get up, full of energy. Ready for the day, but no.

--------------------
Ema

Posts: 394 | From Southern California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Co-infections, like "BLOs" (bartonella-like organisms) & viruses, can cause the body to be in a "fighting mode" early in the morning... as you near waking.

As you get up & going for the day, the immune system turns down, inflammatory responses lighten, & the body busys itself with other more important functions, like moving/walking, thinking, eating & pooping.

MY best time of day is usually an hour or 2 after I get up, IF I've had a reasonable night's sleep.
And I only Get a decent amount of sleep if I don't stay Up late... & post on Boards like This 1!

Ahhh, the contradictions.... [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellephant
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellephant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have the same problem!

i feel like i have to fight my way through a coma to wake up...

it takes me several hours to be able to move properly...

i can barely walk until late afternoon...

i feel my best at night, but hate going to sleep, because i dread how hard it is to wake back up!

Posts: 220 | From Kansas | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

kellephant, have you had your adrenals tested?
kellephant
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellephant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not sure... doctors wont even run tests on me... i asked to have all my horomones checked, and the last doctor told me "it wasnt neccessary"... i paid him $160 for nothing!

another doctor told me my cortisol levels resembled someone with a high stress job, but i dont even work! that has to do with your adrenals right?

i know i need more tests done... i just dont have the money for it, and when i do pay money to go to the doctor, they send me home empty handed...

Posts: 220 | From Kansas | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kellephant,

Yes it's your adrenals. And Lyme is a high stress job : )

Lyme bacteria is placing a great amount of stress on your body and your adrenals are whacking out.

You'll see cortisol really high at times... until eventually it comes crashing down and it's extremely low. Aka the fatigue, etc etc

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amelia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amelia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have this, I would say for the past two years of pulse treatment.

Now I am on Bicillin shots among many other meds-

for babs etc and for the first time, I want to get

up in the morning.

I will say that at this same time, I have started

to truly detox. I think that too has played

a SIGNIFICANT role. I think it can be

different for each one of us unfortunately

as to what the magic bullets are ... Hang in there!

Posts: 243 | From Charleston, SC | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement