LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Llmd wants me off psych meds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Llmd wants me off psych meds
lyme in Putnam
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd is weaning me off psych meds because they cause my low salt. Saris cause hyponatrwmia. Does anyone know
of an antidepressant that is not an sari. Also have ocd and anafranil is a combo med for ocd/depression which causes hyponatrwmia low salt. Weaning off lamictal, down to 75mg. Anafranil 100 mg. Can tolerate Xanax and klonapin. Any suggestions

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would get a second opinion if I were you. Who is prescribing the psych meds? See what they think about this.

How low exactly was the sodium? Mine tested out of range (low) last year, and they told me not to worry about it. I wasn't on any psych meds. So maybe these things just happen.

I have heard that low sodium can be from drinking too much water. So maybe put sea salt in your water? Take electrolytes?

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, Lamictal is not an SSRI. So why are you going off that?
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would test for KPU/pyroluria.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went to nephrologist yesterday. My hyponatrwmia started on zoloft an sari. When zoloft stopped, salt was back in range. Started lamictal in may, and felt that did nothing for me as much as the anafranil. Staying on anafranil. At a standstill for everything. Nephrologist working with my llmd, and psych. Need to find an antidepressant not sari. Thanks Hoosiers.

--------------------

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Nephrologist checking adrenals/llmd testing pituitary hormones...what is kpu?

--------------------

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KPU, pyroluria - http://www.drrandy.org/article.html

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your psychiatrist will be your best help in finding the right replacement med to treat your depression/OCD symptoms.

They will probably start you on something from another classes of meds like SSNRI's and MAO inhibitors. You might also do well on Wellbutrin or Lithium. It may take some trial and error to find the best med or combo.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you mean SSRI.

There are several different catagories of antidepressants besides SSRIs to choose from.

Another thought is that maybe you don't need an antidepressant. I can't take them myself. I do well on other psych meds but antidepressants make my psych issues worse.

Maybe you should just stay on the other psych meds and let the antidepressants go for a while.

Of course this should all be discussed with your physicians.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CedarWidow
Member # 27541

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CedarWidow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Low salt is very closely correlated with suboptimal adrenal function. Many psych meds, including SSRI's (which I was on for years), fatigue the adrenals. Low salt is not always remedied by eating more salt, it is a very complex process involving all the electrolytes (including calcium, magnesium, potassium as well).
Posts: 24 | From Maine | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can try mixing RealSalt� with a beverage for elecrtolyte replacement and adrenal support. It contains a lot of minerals. You can find real salt at a place like Whole Foods or a health food store possibly.

You can also add liquid trace minerals to your drinks (also found at health food stores).

Coconut water is an excellent electrolyte replacement beverage (if not the best). It is high in potassium, so it may not be a good idea if sodium is low. I'm not sure to be honest.

Taking calcium/magnesium in your case may be more beneficial than taking magnesium alone.

Of course, I am not medically trained, but I think you probably need more than just salt to correct your hyponatremia.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a Long Island, NY psychiatrist who knows how to get lyme patients safely off their psych meds by doing ART testing...all without side effects. He puts his patients on specific individual protocols for their situation. PM me for name if you want.
Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not try another SSRI? I have OCD & just started on Lexapro. Doing great..I've always done well on SSRI's in the past. I hope you can find something that works. Anaphranil has been around for a while...maybe another type?

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement