LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Reaction to Alinia - Opinions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reaction to Alinia - Opinions?
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm doing a 5-day course of Alinia (10 pills). I'm on day 2 now of the protocol.

Day 1 wasn't bad except for some muscle spasticity increase. Some of that may have been nerves as I hate new meds. lol.

Today, I feel pretty horrendous. I woke up with bad diahrrea. My head feels like it wants to explode. My ears are extremely full feeling.

Even before I started Alinia, I've had some issues the last two weeks. I'm not sure if it related to my possible Myco infection.

I have been sweating horribly doing anything. Like to the point of just dripping sweat in droves. My BP has been higher than before and my heart rate has jumped from a usual of 70 to 90-100 at rest. Kind of worrisome. [Frown] I basically can't do anything without dripping sweat!

I've had some bouts of nausea/dry heaving this week too. My head feels like a vice is attached and I can't think straight. Fatigue is pretty bad too.

This head pressure is my nemesis every damn time. I could live so much better if it would disappear. One day I just think I'm going to die from it or something. [Frown] Normal people don't complain of this problem.

Perhaps it's time to start trying the Pekena detox products and / or Nutrimedix Parsley/Bulbur drops? I always worry about taking too many unknowns at once, but I gotta do something.

My ears feel like I'm under water literally.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suki444
Member # 18960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suki444     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hard to say, could be drug intolerance or herx? Probably best to take milk thistle whilst on this.
Posts: 37 | From Whitehead, Northern Ireland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do take milk thistle every day.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Other thoughts from Alinia users?
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like it could be "affecting" your babesia to me. Either a kill off or a flare due to stirring the pot.

Alinia affected my babesia too, but it wasn't curative.

Have you ever taken Nutramedix Enula? I would take that, and MAYBE (depending on drug interactions and all that) artemisinin too.

Since it seems like your doctors aren't prescribing you strong babesia meds longterm, I would just depend on herbs for babesia, once you go off this Alinia.

Based on my experience, those herbals (not necessarily together) are better than any anti-babs meds I have tried so far, it seems.

With Enula, if you read in some of the Lyme books, people with duncani sometimes need very high doses of it, according to Cowden. I do two dropperfuls (a dropperful is technically like half a dropper...it's as far as you can fill it) twice a day.

If you buy it in bulk, price isn't too bad. But I would try it before buying in bulk. I would start at only 3 drops...I herxed on that. Shake it well before using.

The reason I am bringing all this up, is that if someone has babesia and is going to spend money ordering from Nutramedix, might as well get Enula. I did tons of Alinia...high doses for months....and Enula is more effective for me.

Those increased sweats during the day, while exerting, seem to be babesia for me. When I go off babs treatment, I will soak my armpits within like 15 min during the day, even if I don't sweat at night.

Good luck!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pekana is very expensive too. There is another brand that is more affordable that is similar. Can't remember name...sixgoofy should know.

Alinia gave me nausea and dry heaving...so watch for that. I would throw up if I took higher doses. Your diarrhea might just be a side effect of the Alinia. It can be rough on people's GI. So because of that, it might not be a longterm drug for you.

Since you're having sweating, my guess is the headaches are babesia being affected by Alinia, but who really knows of course.

These are all just my opinions. I have been kind of obsessed with tracking this babesia mystery, so reading this, a lot of it I can relate to.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried Alinia for 6 days. It did not seem to help. My Babesia symptoms flared out of control and only got worse. Head pressure, chills, night sweats, fatigue/sleepiness, and cough w/chest tightness are my most noticeable Babesia symptoms.

If I remember correctly stomach upset and diarrhea are common side effects of Allinia. You might control those symptoms with the BRAT diet (Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, bland easy on your stomach foods). Just to get you through the full 5 day course of the med.

Hang in there seek, I hope you feel better soon.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Thanks everyone. That's disappointing to hear Alinia did no one much good. [Frown] I was hoping it was a big hitter with some real outcome at the end. My Babesia symptoms should so in line with others who have it that it should be no surprise I'm dealing with it. I always doubt myself, but it's stupid when I read the similarities.

I was surprised my LLMD didn't Rx Art or Enula, but they are going pretty hard at this. This is just approach #1 and more directed at parasites in general. Next on the agenda is Riamet and then a big combination. IF I survive this.

Sammy, has anything actually got rid of or minimized your Babesia issues? Just curious.

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riamet/Coartem clears my symptoms temporarily. They start back up again 2days after finishing the course. Up to this point I've tried over a year's worth of Mepron w/ Biaxin and 11mo of Malarone (with Enula and Art).

My doctor is now considering some alternative protocols and older malaria drugs to try to help me beat this. I started Daraprim this week, if it seems to hold my symptoms at bay then I will continue it for a couple weeks. I'll let you know if it works.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seek,

Have you tried Diamox for your head pressure?

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only had the diahrrea as a side affect, some stomach cramping before the visits to the restroom. This drug is something my doctor rotates in his arsenal. Two weeks on, two weeks off. I tolerated it pretty well.

I have heard of Alinia adding to fatigue symptoms, but I wouldn't know, I am already so tired that I wouldn't know if something made me more tired. [Frown]

Maybe you were herxing, sounds like it to me. I am taking a 1 week antiboitic free week, and attacking yeast, and I actually feel pretty good today, so maybe the Alinia helped me.

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Pab, no I have not tried that. My old LLMD considered it, but never bothered later.

Sammy, that's a horribly depressing story about your fight with Babesia. [Frown] Almost TWO YEARS of super expensive drugs w/no success. What BS. How can Burrascano say 4 months rids the body of babesia? How can anything seriously be that resistant? Do you have positive FISH test? High antibodies to Microti/Duncani?

Ever tried the combo Groovy2 did to cure his Babesia? Why does a doc go SO long w/o switching when having the patient take $30k+ in anti-malarials?

I'm wondering if Alinia is used widely by LLMDs? Ironically, it says it treats diahrrea. It causes it. How can this be? All this wild guessing on what a patient has just gets to me. The whole TBI world sucks. lol.

seekhelp
Member # 15067

I finished my Alinia 2 days ago. I survived the 5-day course. [Smile]
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seek,

Thank you posting that last note, LOL.

I was getting a little worried reading all of this, I have Alinia coming in the mail!

I know I can't expect anything, but I was surely worried about being able to tolerate it.

Other than everything noted, do you have anything else to say about your flare-up symptoms? Did they subside the next day? Do you feel better?

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Alinia treats diarrhea because it kills a parasite or bug that causes diarrhea, in the GI.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement